Expression of intestinal trefoil factor (TFF-3) in hepatocellular carcinoma
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Background: Trefoil peptides (TFF-1, 2, 3) are a family of protease-resistant regulatory factors that play a role in mucosal restitution, angiogenesis, apoptosis, and tumor progression. Intestinal trefoil peptide (TFF-3) expression has been demonstrated in benign hepatobiliary diseases, but there are limited data regarding its expression in HCC.
Methods: Thirty consecutive cases of HCC from 1998 to 2003 were studied. Immunohistochemistry was performed on formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded blocks of HCC using polyclonal antibody to TFF-3. TFF-3 expression was classified as strong, moderate, weak, focal, and negative. Clinical data were obtained per an IRB-approved protocol.
Results: Median age was 69 yr (range: 39–83 yr). Twenty- three patients were males and 7 were females. Treatments included hepatic resection (n=16), chemo-embolization (n=4), combined modality therapy (n=5) and no treatment (n=4). HCC was well differentiated in 12 (40%), moderately differentiated in 13 (43%), and poorly differentiated in 5 (17%) patients. TFF-3 expression was detected in 28/30 (93.3%) patient samples. Sixteen patients (53%) had moderate and 1 (3%) patient had strong TFF-3 expression. Tumor/normal tissue interface was assessable in 21 cases; 11 cases expressed TFF-3 at the interface. There was a strong correlation between tumor grade and TFF-3 expression, wherein poorly differentiated tumors had moderate/strong TFF-3 expression (p=0.008). There was no correlation between TFF-3 expression and survival (p=0.77). Furthermore, there was no correlation among age, disease stage, and survival.
Conclusion: TFF-3 is commonly expressed in HCC and its expression correlates with tumor grade.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al. Estimating the world cancer burden: GLOBOCAN 2000. Int J Cancer 2001;94:153–156. CrossRef
- Tanaka Y, Hanada K, Mizokami M, et al. A comparison of the molecular clock of the hepatitis C virus in the United States and Japan predicts that hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States will increase over the next two decades. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2002;99:15,584–15,589.
- Podolysky DK, Lynch-Devaney K, Stow JL, et al. Identification of human intestinal trefoil factor: goblet cell specific expression of a peptide targeted for apical secretion. J Biol Chem 1993;268:6694–6702.
- Dignass A, Lynch-Devaney K, Kindon H, et al. Trefoil peptides promote epithelial migration through a transforming growth factor β -independent pathway. J Clin Investig 1994;94:376–383. CrossRef
- Poulsom R, Begos DE, Modlin IM. Molecular aspects of restitution: functions of trefoil peptides. Yale J Biol Med 1996;69:137–146.
- Yamachika T, Werther JL, Bodian C, et al. Intestinal Trefoil Factor: A marker of poor prognosis in gastric carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2002;8:1092–1099.
- Srivastva G, Giraud AS, Ulaganathan M, et al. Biliary epithelial trefoil peptide expression is increased in biliary diseases. Histopathology 2002;40:261–268. CrossRef
- Sasaki M, Tsuneyama K, Saito T, et al. Site-characteristic expression and induction of trefoil factor family 1,2 and 3 and malignant brain tumor-1 in normal and diseased intrahepatic ducts relates to biliary pathophysiology. Liver International 2004;24:29–37. CrossRef
- Sasaki M, Ikeda H, Ohira S, et al. Expression of trefoil factor family 1,2 and 3 peptide is augmented in hepatolithiasis. Peptides 2004; 25:763–770. CrossRef
- Tan D, Li Q, Ramnath N, et al. Prognostic significance of expression of p53 oncoprotein in primary (stage I-IIIa) non-small cell lung cancer. Anticancer Res 2003;23:1665–1672.
- CLIP. Prospective validation of the CLIP score: a new prognostic system for patients with cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2000;31:840–845. CrossRef
- Hoffman W, Jagla W, Wiede A. Molecular medicine of TFF peptides: from gut to brain. Histol Histopathol 2001;16:319–334.
- Hoffman W, Jagla W. Cell type specific expression of secretory TFF peptides: colocalization with mucins and synthesis in the brain. Int Rev Cytol 2002;213:147–181. CrossRef
- Jagla W, Wiede A, Dietzmann K, et al. Co-localization of TFF3 peptide and oxytocin in the human hypothalamus. FASEB J 2000;14:1126–1130.
- Emami S, Rodrigues S, Rodrigie CM, et al. Trefoil factor family (TFF) peptides and cancer progression. Peptides 2004;25:885–898. CrossRef
- Uchino H, Kataoka H, Itoh H, et al. Expression of intestinal trefoil factor mRNA is downregulated during progression of colorectal carcinoma. J Clin Pathol 1997;50:932–934. CrossRef
- May F, Westley B. Expression of human intestinal trefoil factor in malignant cells and its regulation by oestrogen in breast cancer cells. J Pathol 1997;182:404–413. CrossRef
- Okada H, Kimura MT, Tan D, et al. Frequent trefoil factor 3 (TFF3) overexpression and promoter hypomethylation in mouse and human hepatocellular carcinomas. Int J Oncol 2005;26:369–377.
- Efstathiou JA, Noda M, Rowan A, et al. Intestinal trefoil factor controls the expression of the adenomatous polyposis coli-catenin and the E-cadherin-catenin complexes in the human colon carcinoma cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1998;95:3122–3127. CrossRef
- Buschenfelde DM, Hoschutzky H, Tauber R, et al. Molecular mechanisms involved in TFF3 peptide -mediated modulation of the E-cadherin/catenin cell adhesion complex. Peptides 2004;25:873–883. CrossRef
- Liu D, el-Hariry I, Karayiannakis AJ, et al. Phosphorylation of beta-catenin and epidermal growth factor receptor by intestinal trefoil factor. Lab Invest 1997;77:557–563.
- Chen YH, Lu Y, De Plaen IG, et al. Transcription factor NF-kappa B signals antianoikic function of trefoil factor 3 on intestinal epithelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2000;274:576–582. CrossRef
- Rodrigues S, Van Aken E, Van Bocxlaer S, et al. Trefoil factors as proangiogenic factors in vivo and in vitro: implications of cyclooxygenase-2 and EGF receptor signaling. FASEB J 2003;17:7–16. CrossRef
- Parasole R, Izzo F, Perrone F, et al. Prognostic value of serum biological markers in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2001;7:3504–3509.
- Taupin D, Pederson J, Familari M, et al. Augmented intestinal trefoil factor (TFF3) and loss of pS2 expression precedes metaplastic differentiation of gastric epithelium. Lab Invest 2001;81:397–408.
- Expression of intestinal trefoil factor (TFF-3) in hepatocellular carcinoma
International Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer
Volume 35, Issue 3 , pp 171-177
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- TFF-3 protein
- hepatocellular carcinoma
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, 14263, Buffalo, NY
- 2. Department of Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, 14263, Buffalo, NY
- 3. Department of Biostatistics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, 14263, Buffalo, NY
- 4. Department of Genetics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, 14263, Buffalo, NY