Clinical significance of k-ras and c-erbB-2 mutations in pancreatic adenocarcinoma and chronic pancreatitis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background: The differentiation of chronic pancreatitis (CP) from pancreatic adenocarcinoma (PA) remains the great challenge for clinicians. The purpose of this study was to compare the prevalence of K-ras and c-erbB-2 mutations in PA and CP in order to evaluate their usefulness in differential diagnosis of those diseases.
Methods: The study included 49 patients who underwent Whipple resection or distal pancreatectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma (26 subjects) or chronic pancreatitis (23 subjects). DNA from pancreatic tissue was analyzed for K-ras codon 12 and c-erbB-2 mutations with PCR amplifications.
Results: The K-ras gene mutation has been shown in 20 (76.9%) PA cases and in 8 (34.8%) CP cases (p<0.01). Prevalence of c-erbB-2 amplification in patients with PA was 17 (65.3%), which was not different from CP, 16 (56.5%) (p=0.58). There was a significant correlation between K-ras mutation and lymph node metastases (p=0.025) as well as between K-ras mutation and G3 tumor differentiation (p=0.037). Overall median survival in patients with PA was 9.5 mo. There was no relationship between presence of K-ras (p=0.58) or c-erbB-2 (p=0.17) mutation and survival time in PA patients.
Conclusion: Those results may indicate that both K-ras and c-erbB-2 play a role in pancreatic carcinogenesis, however only K-ras may provide an additional tool in differential diagnosis of CP and PC.
- Parker SL, Tond T, Bolden S. Cancer statistics, 1997. CA Cancer J Clin 1997;47:5–27. CrossRef
- Inoue S, Tezel E, Nakao A. Molecular diagnosis in pancreatic cancer. Hepato Gastorenterology 2001;48:933–938.
- Hruban RH, Wilentz RE, Goggins M, et al. Pathology of incipient pancreatic cancer. Ann Oncol 1999;10(Suppl 4):9–11. CrossRef
- Gerdes G, Ramaswamy A, Kersting M, et al. p16 INK4a alterations in chronic pancreatitis-indicator for high-risk lesions for pancreatic cancer. Surgery 2001;129:490–497.
- Chari ST, Mohan V, Pitchumoni CS, et al. Risk of pancreatic carcinoma in tropical calcyfying pancreatitis: an epidemiological study. Pancreas 1994;9:62–66. CrossRef
- Misra SP, Thorat VK, Vij JC, et al. Development of carcinoma in chronic calcific pancreatitis. Int J Pancreatol 1990;6:307–312.
- Ekbom A, McLaughin JK, Karlsson BM, et al. Pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer: a population-based study. J Natl Cancer Ins 1994;86:625–627. CrossRef
- Etemad B, Whitcomb DC. Chronic pancreatitis: diagnosis, classification, and new genetic developments. Gastroenterology 2001;120:682–707. CrossRef
- Lemoine NR, Jain S, Hughes CM, et al. K-ras oncogene activation in preinvasive pancreatic cancer. Gastroenterology 1992;102:230–236.
- Dergham ST, Dugan MC, Kucway R, et al. Prevalence and clinical significance of combined K-ras mutation and p53 abberation in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Int J Pancreatol 1997;21,2:127–143.
- Yamaguchi K, Chijiiwa K, Torato N, Kinoshita M, Tanaka M. Ki-ras codon 12 point and p53 mutations: a molecular examination of the main tumor, liver, portal vein, peripheral arterial blood and para-aortic lymph node in pancreatic cancer. Am J Gastroenterol 2000;95:1939–1944 CrossRef
- Kawesha A, Ghanwh P, Sandberg-Andren A, et al. K-ras oncogene subtype mutations are associated with survival but not expression of P53, P16, P21, cyclin D1, erbB-2 and erbB-3 in resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Int J Cancer 2000;89:469–474 CrossRef
- Evans JP, Burke W, Chen RU, et al. Familial pancreatic adenocarcinoma: association with diabetes and early molecular diagnosis. J Med. Genet 1995;32:330–335. CrossRef
- Dougall WC, Quian X, Peterson NC, et al. The neu-oncogene: signal transduction pathways, transformation mechanism and evolving therapies. Oncogene 1994;9:2109–2123.
- Wiener DB, Nordberg J, Nowell PC, et al. Expression of the neu gene encoded protein (p185 erbB-2) in human nonsmall cell carcinomas of the lung. Cancer Res 1990;50:421–425.
- Auranen A, Grenman S, Kleml PJ. Immunohistochemically detected p53 and HER/2-neu expression and nuclear DNA content in familial epithelial ovarian carcinomas. Cancer 1997, 79:2147–2153. CrossRef
- Somerville JE, Clarke LA, Biggart JD. c-erbB-2 expression and histological type of in situ and invasive breast carcinoma. J Clin Pathol 1992;45:16–20. CrossRef
- Parkes HC, Lilicrop K, Howel A, Craig RK. c-erbB-2 mRNA expression in human breast tumors: comparison with c-erbB-2 DNA amplification and correlation with prognosis. Br J Cancer 1990;61:39.
- Vernimmen D, Gueders M, Pisvin S, Delvenne P, Winkler R. Different mechanisms are implicated in ERBB2 gene overexpression in breast and in other cancers. Br J Cancer 2003;89:899–906. CrossRef
- Yamanaka Y, Friess H, Kobrin MS, et al. Expression of HER-2/neu oncogene in human pancreatic carcinoma. Hum Pathol 1993;24:1127–1134. CrossRef
- Jaskiewicz K, Krige JE, Thomson J. Expression of p53 tumor suppressor gene, oncoprotein c-erbB-2, cellular proliferation and differentiation in malignant and benign pancreatic lesions. Anticancer Res 1994;14:1919–1922.
- Dugan MC, Dergham ST, Kucway R, et al. HER-2/neu expression in pancreatic adenocarcinoma: relation to tumor differentiation and survival. Pancreas 1997;14,3:229–236. CrossRef
- Day JD, Digiuseppe JA, Yeo CH, Lai-Goldman M. Immunohistochemical evaluation of HER-2/neu expression in pancreatic adenocarcinoma and pancreatic intraepitheliaal neoplasms. Hum Pathol 1996;27:119–124 CrossRef
- Novotny J, Petruzelka L, Vedralova J, Kleibl Z, Matous B, Judas L. Prognostic significance of c-erbB-2 gene expression in pancreatic cancer patients. Neoplasma 2001,48:188–191
- Hermanova M, Lukas Z, Kroupova I, et al. Relationship between K-ras mutation and the expression of p21WAF1/CIP1 and p53 in chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Neoplasma 2003, 50, 5:319–325
- Friess H, Yamanaka Y, Buchler M, et al. A subgroup of patients with chronic pancreatitis overexpress the c-erbB-2 protooncogene. Ann Surg 1994;220:183–192 CrossRef
- Kloppel G, Solcia E, Longnecker DS, Capella C, Sobin LH. Histological Typing of Tumors of the Exocrine Pancreas 2nd Ed., WHO International Histological Classification of Tumors. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 1996.
- Queneau PE, Adessi G, Thibault P, et al. Early detection of pancreatic cancer in patients with chronic pancreatitis: diagnosis utility of a K-ras point mutation in the pancreatic juice. Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96:699–704. CrossRef
- O’Mahony S, Sreedharan A. Does detection of K-ras mutations in pancreatic juice influence clinical decision making? Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2001;13:1141–1142 CrossRef
- Rivera JA, Rall CJ, Graeme-Cook F, et al. Analysis of k-ras oncogene mutations in chronic pancreatitis with ductal hyperplasia. Surgery 1997;121,1:42–49. CrossRef
- Boadas J, Mora J, Urgell E, et al. Clinical usefulness of K-ras gene mutation detection and cytology in pancreatic juice in the diagnosis and screening of pancreatic cancer. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2001;13:1153–1159. CrossRef
- Hsiang D, Friess H, Buchler M, et al. Absence of K-ras mutations in the pancreatic parenchyma of patients with chronic pancreatitis. Am J Surg 1997;174:242–246. CrossRef
- Costentin L, Pages P, Bouisson M, et al. Frequent deletions of tumor suppressor genes in pure pancreatic juice from patients with tumoral or nontumoral pancreatic diseases. Pancreatology 2002;2:17–25. CrossRef
- Yanagisawa A, Ohtake K, Ohashi K, Hori M, Kitagawa T, Sugano H, Kato Y. Frequent c-Ki-ras oncogene activation in mucous cell hyperplasia of pancreas suffering from chronic inflammation. Cancer Res 1993;53:953–956.
- Orth M, Gansauge F, Gansauge S, Beger H-G, Adler G, Schmid R. K-ras mutations at codon 12 are rare events in chronic pancreatitis. Digestion 1998;59:120–124. CrossRef
- Talar-Wojnarowska R, Sasor A, Strzelczyk J, et al. Molecular basis of pancreatic cancer — selected issue. Gastrointestinal Oncology 2002, 4s:147–152. CrossRef
- Dergham ST, Dugan MC, Arlauksas P, Du W, Vaitkevicius VK, Crissman JD, Sarkar FH. Relationship of family cancer history to the expression of p53, p21 WAF-1, HER-2/neu and K-ras mutation in apnacreatic adenocarcinoma. Int J Pancreatol 1997;21:225–234
- Zhang L, Yuan SZ. Expression of c-erbB-2 oncogene protein, epidermal growth factor receptor, and TGF-betal in human pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2002;1:620–623.
- Tamiolakis D, Venizelos I, Simopoulos C, Kotini A, Jivannakis T, Papadopoulos N. Correlation of immunohistochemically detected Her-2/neu (c-erbB-2) with histological stage and perineural invasion in pancreatic cancer. Hepato Gastroenterology 2004;51:334–337.
- Tomaszewska R, Oko K, Nowak K, et al. Her-2/neu expression as a progression marker in pancreatic intraepitelial neoplasia: Pol J Pathol 1998;49:83–92.
- Niedergethmann M, Rexin M, Hildenbrand R, Knob S, Sturm JW, Richter A, Post S. Prognostic implications of routine, immunohistochemical, and molecular staging in resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26(12):1578–1587. CrossRef
- Ahmad NA, Lewis JD, Ginsberg GG, et al. Long term survival after pancreatic resection for pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96:2609–2615. CrossRef
- Fortner JG, Klimstra DS, Senie RT. Tumor size is the primery prognosticator for pancreatic cancer after regional pancreatectomy. Ann Surg 1996;223:147–153. CrossRef
- Pantalone D, Ragionieri I, Nesi G. Improved survival in small pancreatic cancer. Dig Surg 2001;18:41–46. CrossRef
- Hruban RH, Van Mansfield AD, Offerhaus GJ, et al. K-ras oncogene activation in adenocarcinoma of the human pancreas. A study of 82 carcinomas using a combination of mutant enriched polymerase chain reaction analysis and allele specific aligonucleotide hybridisation. Am J Pathol 1993;143:545–554
- Lei S, Appert HE, Nakata B, Demenico DR, Kim H, Howard JM. Overexpression of HER2/neu oncogene in pancreatic cancer correlates with shortened survival. Int J Pancreatol 1995;17:15–21
- Castells A, Puig P, Mora J, et al. K-ras mutations in DNA extracted from the plasma of patients with pancreatic carcinoma: diagnostic utility and prognostic significance. J Clin Oncol 1999;17:578–584
- Shibata D, Almoguera C, Forrester K, et al. Detection of c-Ki-ras mutation in fine needle aspirates from human pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res 1990;50:1279–1283.
- Yamaguchi K, Chijiwa K, Noshiro H, et al. Ki-ras codon 12 point mutation and p53 mutation in pancreatic diseases. Hepato Gastroenterology 1999;46:2575–2581.
- Van Heek T, Rader AE, Offerhaus GJ, et al. K-ras, p53, and DPC4 (MAD4) alterations in fine-needle aspirates of the pancreas: a molecular panel correlates with and supplements cytologic diagnosis. Am J Clin Pathol 2002;117(5):755–765. CrossRef
- Tada M, Komatsu Y, Kawabe T, Sasahira N, Isayama H, Toda N, Shiratori Y, Omata M. Quantitative analysis of K-ras gene mutation in pancreatic tissue obtained by endoscopic ultrasonography—guided fine needle asporation: clinical utility for diagnosis of pancreatic tumor. Am J Gastroenterol 2002;97:2263–2270 CrossRef
- Wong T, Howes N, Threadgold J, et al. Molecular diagnosis of early pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma in highrisk patients. Pancreatology 2001;1:486–509. CrossRef
- Furuya N, Kawa S, Akamatsu T, Furihata K. Long-term follow-up of patients with chronic pancreatitis and K-ras gene mutation detected in pancreatic juice. Gastroenterology 1997;113:593–598. CrossRef
- Clinical significance of k-ras and c-erbB-2 mutations in pancreatic adenocarcinoma and chronic pancreatitis
International Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer
Volume 35, Issue 1 , pp 33-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Pancreatic adenocarcinoma
- chronic pancreatitis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Digestive Tract Diseases, Medical University, Lodz, Poland
- 2. Department of Pathology, Institute of Polish Mother’s Memorial Hospital, Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Lodz, Poland
- 3. Department of General Surgery and Transplantology, Medical University, Lodz, Poland