Bleachability and characterization by fourier transform infrared principal component analysis of acetosolv pulps obtained from sugarcane bagasse
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sugarcane bagasse Acetosolv pulps were bleached by xylanase and the pulps classified by using Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy and principal component analysis (PCA). Pulp was treated with xylanase for 4–8 h with stirring at 30°C. Some samples were further extracted with NaOH for 1 h at 65°C. FTIR spectra were recorded directly from the dried pulp samples by using the diffuse reflectance technique. Reduction in kappa number of 69% was obtained after sequence xylanase (4 h)-alkaline extraction. During bleaching the viscosity decreased only 12%. FTIR-PCA showed that the first three principal components (PCs) explained more than 90% of the total variance of the pulp spectra. PC2×PC1 plot showed that the points related to pulps from sequence xylanase (4 h)-alkaline extraction are different from the other. This group isenlarged by plotting PC3×PC1 or PC3×PC2 containing all pulps submitted to alkaline extraction. PC2 and PC3 are the principal factor for differentiation of the pulps. These PCs suffer influence of the ester bands (1740 and 1244 cm−1). On the other hand, the pulps bleached only with xylanase could not be differentiated from the nonbleached pulps.
- Raymond, A. Y. and Akhtar, M. (1998), Environmentally Friendly Technologies for the Pulp and Paper Industry, Wiley, New York.
- Minor, J. L. (1996), in Pulp Bleaching, Principles and Practice, Dence, C. W. and Reeve, D. W., eds., Tappi, Atlanta, pp. 25–57.
- Milagres, A. M. F., Erismann, N. M., and Durán, N. (1992), in Proceedings of 2nd Brazilian Symposium on the Chemistry of Lignin and Other Wood Components, Durán, N. and Espósito, E., eds. UNICAMP, Campinas-Brazil, pp. 372–376.
- Benar, P. (1992), MS thesis, Instituto de Química, UNICAMP, Campinas, Brazil.
- TAPPI, Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry. (1982), TAPPI Standard Methods, T 236 cm-82.
- TAPPI, Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry. (1985)., TAPPI Standard Methods, T 236 cm-85.
- Faix, O., Böttcher, J. H., and Bertelt, E. (1992), in 8th International Conference in Fourier Transform Spectroscopy Proceedings SPIE 1575, Heise, M., Korte, E. H., and Siesler, H. W., eds., The International Society for Optical Engineering, San Diego, CA, pp. 428–430.
- Morohoshi, N. (1991), in Wood and Cellulosic Chemistry, Hon, D. N. S. and Shiraishi, N., eds., Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 331–392.
- Scarminio, I. S. and Bruns, R. E. (1989), Trends Anal. Chem. 8, 326, 327. CrossRef
- Bleachability and characterization by fourier transform infrared principal component analysis of acetosolv pulps obtained from sugarcane bagasse
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 91-93, Issue 1-9 , pp 63-70
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Xylanase bleaching
- Fourier transform infrared spectra of pulps
- sugarcane bagasse pulps
- Acetosoly pulping
- Industry Sectors