Dilute acid hydrolysis of softwoods
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Whole tree chips obtained from softwood forest thinnings were converted to ethanol via a two-stage dilute acid hydrolysis followed by yeast fermentation. The chips were first impregnated with dilute sulfuric acid, then pretreated in a steam explosion reactor to hydrolyze, more than 90% of the hemicellulose and approx 10% of the cellulose. The hydrolysate was filtered and washed with water to recover the sugars. The washed fibers were then subjected to a second acid im pregnation and hydrolysis to hydrolyze as much as 45% of the reamining cellulose. The liquors from both hydrolysates were combined and fermented to ethanol by a Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast that had been adapted to the inhibitors. Based on available hexose sugars, ethanol yields varied from 74 to 89% of theoretical. Oligosaccharide contents higher than about 10% of the total available sugar appear to have a negative impact on ethanol yield.
- Nguyen, Q. A., Tucker, M. P., Boynton, B. L., Keller, F. A., and Schell, D. J. (1998), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 70–72, 77–87. CrossRef
- Schell, D. J., Ruth, M. F., and Tucker, M. P. (1998), Twentieth Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals, Gatlinburg, TN, May 3–7.
- Hess, R. W., Thomsen, A. M., Porter, F., and Anderson, J. W. (1965), US Patent 3,212,932.
- Scott, R. W., Wegner, T. H., and Harris, J. F. (1983), J. Wood Chem. Technol. 3, 245–260.
- Conner, A. H., Wood, B. F., Hill, C. G., and Harris, J. F. (1985), J. Wood Chem. Technol. 5, 461–489.
- Gerez, J. C. C., Gerez, M. D. C. A., and Miller, J. (1985), US Patent 4,529,699.
- Rugg, B. and Stanton, R. (1986), US Patent 4,591,386.
- Zerbe, J. I. and Baker, A. J. (1987), in Energy from Biomass and Waste X Klass, D. L., ed., Elsevier Applied Science, London, UK, pp. 927–947.
- Brink, D. L. (1993), US Patent 5,221,357.
- Brelsford, D. L. (1995), US Patent 5,411,594.
- Keller, F. A., Bates, D., Ruiz R. and Nguyen, Q. (1998), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 70–72, in press.
- McDonald, V. R. (1963), J. Food Sci. 28, 135. CrossRef
- Dilute acid hydrolysis of softwoods
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 77, Issue 1-3 , pp 133-142
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- acid hydrolysis
- Industry Sectors