Ammonia fiber explosion treatment of corn stover
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Optimizing process conditions and parameters such as ammonia loading, moisture content of biomass, temperature, and residence time is necessary for maximum effectiveness of the ammonia fiber explosion process. Approximate optimal pretreatment conditions for corn stover were found to be temperature of 90°C, ammonia: dry corn stover mass ratio of 1∶1, moisture content of corn stover of 60% (dry weight basis), and residence time (holding at target temperature), of 5 min. Approximately 98% of the theoretical glucose yield was obtained during enzymatic hydrolysis of the optimal treated corn stover using 60 filter paper units (FPU) of cellulase enzyme/g of glucan (equal to 22 FPU/g of dry corn stover). The ethanol yield from this sample was increased up to 2.2 times over that of untreated sample. Lowering enzyme loading to 15 and 7.5 FPU/g of glucan did not significantly affect the glucose yield compared with 60 FPU, and any differences between effects at different enzyme levels decreased as the treatment temperature increased.
- Hall, D. O. (1979), Solar Energy, 22, 307–328. CrossRef
- Wyman, C. E. (1999), Annu. Rev. Energy Environ. 24, 189–226. CrossRef
- Wyman, C. E. (1995), in Enzymatic Degradation of Insoluble Carbohydrates, ACS Symposium Series 618, Saddler, J. N. and Penner, M. H., eds., American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, pp. 272–290.
- Walter, A. (2000), in Industrial Uses of Biomass Energy, Rosillo-Calle, F., Bajay, S. V., and Rothman, H., eds., Taylor & Francis, London, New York, pp. 200–253.
- Lamptey, J., Moo-Young, M., and Robinson, C. W. (1986), in Biotechnology and Renewable Energy, Moo-Young, M. and Laptey, J., eds. Elsevier Applied Science, London, UK, pp. 46–56.
- Holtzapple, M. T., Jun, J., Ashok, G., Patibandla, S. L., and Dale, B. E. (1991), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 28/29, 59–74. CrossRef
- Wang, P. Y., Bolker, H. I., and Pruves, C. B. (1967), Tappi 50 (3), 123–124.
- O'Conner, J. I. (1972), Tappi 55 (3), 353–358.
- Moniruzzaman, M., Dale, B. E., Hespell, R. B., and Bothast, R. J. (1997), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 67, 113–126. CrossRef
- Dale, B. E., Henk, L. L., and Shiang, M. (1985), Dev. Ind. Microbiol. 26, 223–233.
- Ammonia fiber explosion treatment of corn stover
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 115, Issue 1-3 , pp 951-963
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Ammonia fiber explosion
- corn stover
- enzymatic hydrolysis
- simultaneous saccharification and fermentation
- moisture content
- residence time
- Industry Sectors