Effect of corn stover concentration on rheological characteristics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Corn stover, a well-known example of lignocellulosic biomass, is a potential renewable feed for bioethanol production. Dilute sulfuric acid pretreatment removes hemicellulose and makes the cellulose more susceptible to bacterial digestion. The rheologic properties of corn stover pretreated in such a manner were studied. The Power Law parameters were sensitive to corn stover suspension concentration becoming more non-Newtonian with slope n, ranging from 0.92 to 0.05 between 5 and 30% solids. The Casson and the Power Law models described the experimental data with correlation coefficients ranging from 0.90 to 0.99 and 0.85 to 0.99, respectively. The yield stress predicted by direct data extrapolation and by the Herschel-Bulkley model was similar for each concentration of corn stover tested.
- Esteghlalian, A., Hashimoto, A. G., Fenske, J. J., and Penner, M. (1997), Bioresour. Technol. 59, 129–136. CrossRef
- McMillan, J. D. (1997), Renewable Energy 10(2/3), 295–302. CrossRef
- Ranatunga, T. D., Jervis, J., Helm, R. F., McMillan, J. D., and Wooley, R. J. (2000), Enzyme Microb. Technol. 27, 240–247. CrossRef
- Kemblowski, L. and Kristiansen, B. (1986), Biotechnol. Eng. 28, 1474–1483.
- Metz, B., Kossen, N. W. F., and Van Suijdam, J. C. (1979), Adv. Biochem. Eng. 11, 103–155.
- Charles, M. (1978), Adv. Biochem. Eng. 8, 1–62.
- Svihla, C. K., Dronawat, S. N., and Hanley, T. R. (1995), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 51/52, 355–366.
- Allen, D. G. and Robinson, C. W. (1990), Chem. Eng. Sci. 45(1), 37–48. CrossRef
- Dronawat, S. N., Rieth, T. C., Svihla, C. K., and Hanley, T. R. (1996), in Proceedings of the 5 th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, vol. 1. American Institute of Chemical Engineers, New York, NY, p. 629.
- Svihla, C. K., Dronawat, S. N., Donnelly, J. A., Rieth, T. C., and Hanley, T. R. (1997), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 63/65, 375–385. CrossRef
- Nguen, Q. D. and Boger, D. V. (1992), Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 24, 47–88. CrossRef
- Pimenova, N. V. and Hanley, T. R. (2003), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 105/108, 383–392. CrossRef
- Dronawat, S. N. (1996), PhD thesis, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY.
- Joch, R. E. C. (1993), MS thesis, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY.
- Donnelly, J. A. (1995) MS thesis, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY.
- Rieth, T. C. (1997) MS thesis, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY.
- Effect of corn stover concentration on rheological characteristics
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 114, Issue 1-3 , pp 347-360
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Corn stover
- rheological measurement
- shear stress
- shear rate
- non-Newtonian fluids
- Power Law parameters
- Industry Sectors