Optimization of process parameters for the manufacturing of rocket casings: A study using processing maps
- G. S. Avadhani
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Maraging steels possess ultrahigh strength combined with ductility and toughness and could be easily fabricated and heat-treated. Bulk metalworking of maraging steels is an important step in the component manufacture. To optimize the hot-working parameters (temperature and strain rate) for the ring rolling process of maraging steel used for the manufacture of rocket casings, a systematic study was conducted to characterize the hot working behavior by developing processing maps for γ-iron and an indigenous 250 grade maraging steel. The hot deformation behavior of binary alloys of iron with Ni, Co, and Mo, which are major constituents of maraging steel, is also studied. Results from the investigation suggest that all the materials tested exhibit a domain of dynamic recrystallization (DRX). From the instability maps, it was revealed that strain rates above 10 s−1 are not suitable for hot working of these materials. An important result from the stress-strain behavior is that while Co strengthens γ-iron, Ni and Mo cause flow softening. Temperatures around 1125 °C and strain rate range between 0.001 and 0.1 s−1 are suitable for the hot working of maraging steel in the DRX domain. Also, higher strain rates may be used in the meta-dynamic recrystallization domain above 1075 °C for high strain rate applications such as ring rolling. The microstructural mechanisms identified from the processing maps along with grain size analyses and hot ductility measurements could be used to design hot-working schedules for maraging steel.
- Anon., “Making Shaping and Treating of Steel,” H.E. McGannon, ed., United States Steel Corp., Pittsburgh, PA, 1964.
- Y.V.R.K. Prasad and T. Seshachryulu: “Modeling of Hot Deformation for Microstructural Control,” Intl. Mater. Rev., 1998, 43(6), pp. 243–58.
- Y.V.R.K. Prasad, H.L. Gegel, S.M. Doraivelu, J.C. Malas, J.T. Morgan, K.A. Lark, and D.R. Barker: “Modeling of Dynamic Materials Behaviour in Hot Deformation: Forging of Ti-6242,” Metall. Trans. A, 1984, 15, p. 1883.
- J.L. Robbins, O.C. Shepard, and O.D. Sherby: “Role of Crystal Structure on the Ductility of Pure Iron at Elevated Temperature,” J. Iron Steel Inst., 1961, 199, p. 175.
- R.A. Reynolds and W.J. McG. Tegart: “The Deformation of Some Pure Irons by High Speed Torsion Over the Temperature Range 700–1250°C.” J. Iron Steel Inst., 1962, 200, p. 1044.
- J.J. Jonas, C.M. Sellars, and J. McG. Tegart: “Strength and Structure Under Hot Working Conditions,” Metall. Rev. 1969, 14, p. 1–24.
- Anon., Diffusion Data, F.H. Wohlbier, ed., Ohio Diffusion Info. Centre, P.O. Box 505, CH 4500, Solothurn, Switzerland; Vol. 3, No. 4, 1969, p. 394.
- Anon., Diffusion Data, F.H. Wohlbier, ed., Ohio Diffusion Info. Centre, P.O. Box 505, CH 4500, Solothurn, Switzerland, Vol. 1, No. 3, 1969, p. 280.
- W. Roberts: in Deformation Processing and Structure, G. Krauss, ed., ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1984, p. 109.
- G.S. Avadhani: “Hot Deformation Mechanisms and Microstructural Evolution During Upset Forging of γ-Fe, Fe-5Ni, Fe-5Co, and Fe-5Mo Alloys and Maraging Steel,” Ph.D. Thesis, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2001.
- M. Srinivas, G. Malkondaiah, and P. Rama Rao: “A First Report on Fracture Toughness of bcc Iron as Influenced by Solutes: Opposite Effects of Silicon and Cobalt,” Bull. Mater. Sci., 1988, 11, p. 329.
- N. Ravichandran and Y.V.R.K. Prasad: “Influence of Oxygen on Dynamic Re-Crystallization During Hot Working of Polycrystalline Copper,” Mater. Sci. Eng., 1992, A156, p. 156.
- Y.V.R.K. Prasad and S. Sasidhara: Hot Working Guide: A Compendium of Processing Maps, ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 1997.
- Optimization of process parameters for the manufacturing of rocket casings: A study using processing maps
Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance
Volume 12, Issue 6 , pp 609-622
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- gamma iron
- hot workability/ductility
- kinetic analysis
- maraging steel
- processing maps
- Industry Sectors
- G. S. Avadhani (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Principal Research Scientist, Department of Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Science, 560 012, Bangalore, India