Strain analysis of plasma sprayed thermal barrier coatings under mechanical stress
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The stiffness of air plasma sprayed (APS) thermal barrier coatings (TBCs) was determined from bending experiments combining strain analysis on a microstructural level with macroscopic mechanical parameters. Tests were performed with freestanding and attached TBCs, the latter either loaded in tension or in compression. Relationships are derived, which describe the TBC stiffness in a multilayer composite (attached TBC) and for a bimodular material that possess a lower stiffness in tension than in compression (stand-alone TBC). The increase of in-plane stiffness with increasing compressive stress emphasizes the importance of the spraying defects for the elastic response of the coating.
- H.W. Grünling and W. Mannsmann: “Plasma-Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coatings for Industrial Gas-Turbines—Morphology, Processing and Properties,” J. Phys. (Paris) IV, 1993, 3(C7), pp. 902–12.
- J.T. DeMasi-Marcin and D.K. Gupta: “Protective Coatings in the Gas-Turbine Engine,” Surf. Coat. Technol., 1994, 68, pp. 1–9. CrossRef
- D.B. Marshall and A.G. Evans: “Measurement of Adherence of Residually Stressed Thin-Films by Indentation: 1. Mechanics of Interface Delamination,” J. Appl. Phys., 1984, 56(10), pp. 2632–38. CrossRef
- A.G. Evans and J.W. Hutchinson: “On the Mechanics of Delamination and Spalling in Compressed Films,” Int. J. Solids Struct., 1984, 20(5), pp. 455–66. CrossRef
- A.K. Sinha, H.J. Levinstein, and T.E. Smith: “Thermal-Stresses and Cracking Resistance of Dielectric Films (SiN, Si3N4, and SiO2) on Si Substrates,” J. Appl. Phys., 1978, 49(4), pp. 2423–26. CrossRef
- S. Kuroda and T.W. Clyne: “The Quenching Stress in Thermally Sprayed Coatings,” Thin Solid Films, 1991, 200(1), pp. 49–66. CrossRef
- T.W. Clyne and S.C. Gill: “Residual Stresses in Thermal Spray Coatings and Their Effects on Interfacial Adhesion: A Review of Recent Work,” J. Therm. Spray Technol., 1996, 5(4), pp. 401–18.
- J.A. Thompson and T.W. Clyne: “The Effect of Heat Treatment on the Stiffness of Zirconia Top Coats in Plasma-Sprayed TBCs,” Acta Mater., 2001, 49(9), pp. 1565–75. CrossRef
- J. Ilavsky, G.G. Long, A.J. Allen, and C.C. Berndt: “Evolution of the Void Structure in Plasma Sprayed YSZ Deposits During Heating,” Mater. Sci. Eng., 1999, A272, pp. 215–21.
- R.W. Steinbrech: “Thermomechanical Behavior of Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coatings,” Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc., 2002, 23, pp. 379–408.
- J.I. Eldridge, G.N. Morscher, and S.R. Choi: “Quasistatic vs. Dynamic Modulus Measurements of Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coatings,” Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc., 2002, 23, pp. 371–80.
- A. Kucuk, C.C. Berndt, U. Senturk, R.S. Lima, and C.R.C. Lima: “Influence of Plasma Spray Parameters on Mechanical Properties of Yttria Stabilized Zirconia Coatings: Four Point Bending Test,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A., 2000, 284, pp. 29–40. CrossRef
- D. Basu, C. Funke, and R.W. Steinbrech: “Effect of Heat Treatment on Elastic Properties of Separated Thermal Barrier Coatings,” J. Mater. Res., 1999, 14(12), pp. 4643–50.
- J. Malzbender, J.M.J. den Toonder, A.R. Balkenende, and G. de With: “Measuring Mechanical Properties of Coatings: A Methodology Applied to Nano-Particle-Filled Sol-Gel Coatings on Glass,” Mater. Sci. Eng. R., 2002, 36(2–3), pp. 47–103. CrossRef
- A. Wanner and E. Lutz: “Elastic Anisotropy of Plasma Sprayed, Free-Standing Ceramics,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 1997, 80(8), pp. 2706–08.
- E. Kieselstein, B. Seiler, M. Dost, and E. Than: “Characterization of Composites by Measuring the Optical Displacements via UNIDAC,” Technisches Messen, 2002, 69(10), pp. 412–17. CrossRef
- J. Malzbender and R.W. Steinbrech: “Mechanical Methods to Determine Layer Compliances within Multilayer Composites,” J. Mater. Res., 2003, 18(6), pp. 1374–82.
- G. Blandin: “Thermomechanical Behavior of Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Composites,” Doctoral Thesis, RWTH Aachen, Germany, 2001, pp. 43–46 (in German).
- S.R. Choi, D. Zhu, and R.A. Miller: “Deformation and Strength Behavior of Plasma Sprayed ZrO2-8wt.% Y2O3 Thermal Barrier Coatings in Biaxial Flexure and Trans Thickness Tension,” Ceram. Sci. Eng. Proc., 2000, 21, pp. 653–61. CrossRef
- V. Harok and K. Neufuss: “Elastic and Inelastic Effects in Compression in Plasma Sprayed Ceramic Coatings,” J. Thermal Spray Technol., 2001, 10(1), pp. 126–32. CrossRef
- A.G. Evans, D.R. Mumm, J.W. Hutchinson, G.H. Meier, and F.S. Pettit: “Mechanism Controlling the Durability of Thermal Barrier Coatings,” Prog. Mater. Sci., 2001, 46, pp. 505–53. CrossRef
- C.A. Johnson, J.A. Ruud, R. Bruce, and D. Wortmann: “Relationship Between Residual Stress, Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Electron Beam-Physical Vapor Deposition Thermal Barrier Coatings,” Surf. Coat. Technol., 1998, 108–109, pp. 80–85. CrossRef
- F. Kroupa and J. Doubsky: “Pressure Dependency of Young’s Moduli of Thermal Spray Materials,” Scr. Mater., 1999, 40(11), pp. 1249–54. CrossRef
- J. Malzbender and R.W. Steinbrech: “Determination of the Stress-Dependent Stiffness of Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coatings Using Depth Sensitive Indentation,” J. Mater. Res., 2003, 18(8), pp. 1975–84.
- Strain analysis of plasma sprayed thermal barrier coatings under mechanical stress
Journal of Thermal Spray Technology
Volume 13, Issue 3 , pp 390-395
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- bending test
- thermal barrier coating (TBC)
- Industry Sectors