Thermal spray yttria-stabilized zirconia phase changes during annealing
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Phase stability of thermal barrier deposits made from yttria partially stabilized zirconia (Y-PSZ) is a requirement for extended service lifetime. The response of Y-PSZ plasma-sprayed deposits to annealing at 1000, 1200, and 1400 °C with times from 1 to 1000 h has been evaluated using the Rietveld analysis of neutron diffraction data. Results show that the yttria concentration of the as-sprayed tetragonal zirconia component generally decreased with increasing annealing temperature and time. As the yttria content in the tetragonal phase approached a limiting concentration, about 3.5 mol.% of YO1,5, the tetragonal phase transformed into monoclinic phase on cooling. An increase in monoclinic phase content was clearly observed after annealing for 24 h at 1400 °C and was nearly 35% after 100 h at 1400 °C. A similar trend was observed at 1200 °C for longer annealing times, with monoclinic phase formation beginning after 400 h. At 1000 °C, experimental times were not sufficient for monoclinic phase to form, although a decrease in the yttria concentration in the tetragonal phase was observed.
- P. Sahoo, T. Carr, R. Martin, and F. Dinh: J. Thermal Spray Technol., 1998, vol. 7 (4), pp. 481–83. CrossRef
- H. G. Scott: J. Mater. Sci., 1975, vol. 10, pp. 1527–35. CrossRef
- R. A. Miller: Surf. Coating Technol., 1987, vol. 30, pp. 1–11. CrossRef
- S. R. Levine, R. A. Miller, and P. E. Hodge: Sampe Q., 1980, pp. 20–26.
- R. A. Miller, J. L. Smiallek, and R. G. Garlik: in Science and Technology of Zirconia, A. H. Heuer and L. W. Hobbs, eds., American Ceramic Society, Columbus, OH, 1981, pp. 241–53.
- M. Yashima, S. Sasaki, and M. Kakihana: Acta Cryst., 1994, vol. B50, pp. 663–72.
- K. A. Khor and J. Yang: Scripta Mater., 1997, vol. 37 (9), pp. 1279–86. CrossRef
- D. L. Porter and A. H. Heuer: J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 1979, vol. 62 (5–6), pp. 298–305. CrossRef
- J. Ilavsky, A. J. Allen, G. G. Long, C. C. Berndt, and H. Herman: MRS Fall Meeting ’97, Boston, MA, USA 1997—The Science and Technology of Thermal Spray Mateials Processing, Materials Research Society, Warrendale, PA, p. 565.
- J. Ilavsky and J. K. Stalick: Surf. Coating Technol., 2000, vol. 127, pp. 120–29. CrossRef
- D. N. Argyriou and C. J. Howard: J. Appl. Cryst., 1995, vol. 28, pp. 206–08. CrossRef
- H. M. Rietveld: J. Appl. Cryst., 1969, vol. 2, pp. 65–71. CrossRef
- A. C. Larson and R. B. VonDreele: GSAS Program for Rietveld Analysis, Los Alamos Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, 1994.
- H. Toraya: J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 1989, vol. 72 (4), pp. 662–64. CrossRef
- Thermal spray yttria-stabilized zirconia phase changes during annealing
Journal of Thermal Spray Technology
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 497-501
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- neutron scattering
- phase composition
- Rietveld analysis
- yttria-stabilized zirconia
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Institute of Standards and Technology, 20899, Gaithersburg, MD
- 2. the University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- 3. the Institute of Plasma Physics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
- 4. NIST Center for Neutron Research, National Institute of Standards and Technology, USA