Immigrants’ welfare use and opportunity for contact with co-ethnics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this article we examine the relationship between immigrants’ welfare use and their social capital, using the 1990 census. We measure community social capital using contact with co-ethnics and coethnics’ economic inactivity, and examine the use of AFDC and SSI in two subpopulations: single-mother families and elderly units. Major findings are that the effects of social capital differ between immigrant single-mother families and elderly units; the effects of social capital differ between the young-at-arrival elderly and the old-at-arrival elderly; and the process of AFDC use is similar for immigrants and for natives, whereas the process of SSI use is more complicated for immigrants than for natives.
- Bean, F.D., J.V.W. Van Hook, and J.E. Glick. 1997. “Country of Origin, Type of Public Assistance, and Patterns of Welfare Recipiency Among U.S. Immigrants and Natives.” Social Science Quarterly 78:432–51.
- Becker, G.S. 1991. A Treatise on the Family. Enlarged ed. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Blau, F. 1984. “The Use of Transfer Payments by Immigrants.” Industrial and Labor Relations Review 37:222–39. CrossRef
- Borjas, G.J. 1992. “National Origin and the Skills of Immigrants in the Postwar Period.” Pp. 17–47 in Immigration and the Work Force: Economic Consequences for the United States and Source Areas, edited by G.J. Borjas and R.B. Freeman. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- — 1994. “The Economics of Immigration.” Journal of Economic Literature 32:1667–717.
- Borjas, G.J. and L. Hilton. 1996. “Immigration and the Welfare State: Immigrant Participation in Means-Tested Entitlement Programs.” Quarterly Journal of Economics 111:576–604. CrossRef
- Chiswick, B.R. 1978. “The Effect of Assimilation on the Earnings of Foreign-Born Men.” Journal of Political Economy 86:897–921. CrossRef
- Coleman, J.S. 1988. “Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital.” American Journal of Sociology 94:S95–120. CrossRef
- Hu, W.Y. 1998. “Elderly Immigrants on Welfare.” Journal of Human Resources 33:711–41. CrossRef
- Jensen, L. 1988. “Patterns of Immigration and Public Assistance Utilization, 1970–1980.” International Migration Review 22(1):51–83. CrossRef
- Liberson, S. and D.K. Carter. 1982. “Temporal Changes and Urban Differences in Residential Segregation: A Reconsideration.” American Journal of Sociology 88:296–310. CrossRef
- Massey, D.S., J. Arango, G. Hugo, A. Kouaouci, A. Pellegrino, and J.E. Tailor. 1994. “Theories of International Migration: A Review and Appraisal.” Population and Development Review 19:431–66. CrossRef
- Massey, D.S. and N.A. Denton. 1988. “The Dimensions of Residential Segregation.” Social Forces 67:281–315. CrossRef
- Massey, D.S., M.J. White, and V.C. Phua. 1996. “The Dimensions of Segregation Revisited.” Sociological Methods and Research 25:172–206. CrossRef
- Moffitt, R. 1992. “Incentive Effects of the U.S. Welfare System: A Review.” Journal of Economic Literature 30:1–61.
- Portes, A. and J. Sensenbrenner. 1993. “Embeddedness and Immigration: Notes on the Social Determinants of Economic Action.” American Journal of Sociology 98:1320–50. CrossRef
- Raftery, A.E. 1995. “Bayesian Model Selection in Social Research.” Pp. 111–64 in Sociological Methodology, edited by P.V. Marsden. Cambridge: Blackwell Publishers.
- Schoeni, R.F. 1997. “New Evidence on the Economic Progress of Foreign-Born Men in the 1970s and 1980s.” Journal of Human Resources 32:683–740. CrossRef
- Tienda, M. and L. Jensen. 1986. “Immigration and Public Assistance Participation: Dispelling the Myth of Dependency.” Social Science Research 15:372–400. CrossRef
- Van Hook, J. 2000. “SSI Eligibility and Participation Among Elderly Naturalized Citizens and Noncitizens.” Social Science Research 29:51–69. CrossRef
- Van Hook, J. and F.D. Bean. 1999. “The Growth in Noncitizen SSI Caseloads 1979-1996: Aging Versus New Immigrant Effects.” Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences 54B:S16–23.
- Van Hook, J., J.E. Glick, and F.D. Bean. 1999. “Public Assistance Receipt Among Immigrants and Natives: How the Unit of Analysis Affects Research Findings.” Demography 36:111–20. CrossRef
- Immigrants’ welfare use and opportunity for contact with co-ethnics
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 375-389
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors