Measurement of cardiac mechanical function in isolated ventricular myocytes from rats and mice by computerized video-based imaging
Isolated adult cardiac ventricular myocytes have been a useful model for cardiovascular research for more than 20 years. With the recent advances in cellular physiology and transgenic techniques, direct measurement of isolated ventricular myocyte mechanics is becoming an increasingly important technique in cardiac physiology that provides fundamental information on excitation-contraction coupling of the heart, either in drug intervention or pathological states. The goal of this article is to describe the isolation of ventricular myocytes from both rats and mice, and the use of real-time beat-to-beat simultaneous recording of both myocyte contraction and intracellular Ca2+ transients.
- Wang, Z, Mukherjee, R, Lam, CF, Spinale, FG. (1996) Spatial characterization of contracting cardiac myocytes by computer-assisted, video-based image processing. Am J Physiol 39: pp. H769-H779
- Mukherjee, R, Crawford, FA, Hewett, KW, Spinale, FG (1993) Cell and sarcomere contractile performance from the same cardiocyte using video microscopy. J Appl Physiol 74: pp. 2023-2033
- Ren, J, Bode, AM (2000) Altered cardiac excitation-contraction coupling in ventricular myocytes from spontaneously diabetic BB rats. Am J Physiol 279: pp. H238-241
- Wold, LE, Norby, FL, Hintz, KK, Colligan, PB, Epstein, PN, Ren, J (2001) Prenatal alcohol exposure alters cardiac myocyte contractile function in offspring: Influence of maternal Mg2+ supplementation. Cardiovasc Tox 1: pp. 215-224 CrossRef
- Nickola, MW, Wold, LE, Colligan, PB, Wang, G-J, Samson, WK, Ren, J (2000) Leptin attenuates cardiac contraction in adult rat ventricular myocytes: Role of nitric oxide. Hypertension 36: pp. 501-505
- Ren, J, Davidoff, AJ (1997) Diabetes rapidly induces contractile dysfunctions in isolated ventricular myocytes. Am J Physiol 272: pp. H148-H158
- Ren, J, Walsh, MF, Hamaty, M, Sowers, JR, Brown, RA (1998) Altered inotropic response to IGF-I in diabetic rat heart: Influence of intracellular Ca2+ and NO.. Am J Physiol 275: pp. H823-H830
- Ren, J, Jefferson, L, Sowers, JR, Brown, RA (1999) Influence of age on contractile response to insulin-like growth factor I on ventricular myocytes from spontaneously hypertensive rats. Hypertension 34: pp. 1215-1222
- Ren, J, Sowers, JR, Walsh, MF, Brown, RA (2000) Reduced contractile response to insulin and IGF-1 in ventricular myocytes from genetically obese Zucker rats. Am J Physiol 279: pp. H1708-H1714
- Ren J, Hintz KK, Brown-Borg HM. Impaired cardiac excitation-contraction coupling in ventricular myocytes from Ames dwarf mice with growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor I deficiency. FASEB J 2001;15:A757.
- Measurement of cardiac mechanical function in isolated ventricular myocytes from rats and mice by computerized video-based imaging
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Biological Procedures Online
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 43-53
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- intracellular Ca2+ transients
- edge detection