Measurement of cardiac mechanical function in isolated ventricular myocytes from rats and mice by computerized video-based imaging
Isolated adult cardiac ventricular myocytes have been a useful model for cardiovascular research for more than 20 years. With the recent advances in cellular physiology and transgenic techniques, direct measurement of isolated ventricular myocyte mechanics is becoming an increasingly important technique in cardiac physiology that provides fundamental information on excitation-contraction coupling of the heart, either in drug intervention or pathological states. The goal of this article is to describe the isolation of ventricular myocytes from both rats and mice, and the use of real-time beat-to-beat simultaneous recording of both myocyte contraction and intracellular Ca2+ transients.
- Wang Z, Mukherjee R, Lam CF, Spinale FG. Spatial characterization of contracting cardiac myocytes by computer-assisted, video-based image processing. Am J Physiol 1996;39:H769-H779.
- Mukherjee R, Crawford FA, Hewett KW, Spinale FG. Cell and sarcomere contractile performance from the same cardiocyte using video microscopy. J Appl Physiol 1993;74:2023–2033.
- Ren J, Bode AM. Altered cardiac excitation-contraction coupling in ventricular myocytes from spontaneously diabetic BB rats. Am J Physiol 2000;279:H238–241.
- Wold LE, Norby FL, Hintz KK, Colligan PB, Epstein PN, Ren J. Prenatal alcohol exposure alters cardiac myocyte contractile function in offspring: Influence of maternal Mg2+ supplementation. Cardiovasc Tox 2001; 1:215–224. CrossRef
- Nickola MW, Wold LE, Colligan PB, Wang G-J, Samson WK, Ren J. Leptin attenuates cardiac contraction in adult rat ventricular myocytes: Role of nitric oxide. Hypertension 2000;36:501–505.
- Ren J, Davidoff AJ. Diabetes rapidly induces contractile dysfunctions in isolated ventricular myocytes. Am J Physiol 1997;272:H148-H158.
- Ren J, Walsh MF, Hamaty M, Sowers JR, Brown RA. Altered inotropic response to IGF-I in diabetic rat heart: Influence of intracellular Ca2+ and NO. Am J Physiol 1998;275:H823-H830.
- Ren J, Jefferson L, Sowers JR, Brown RA. Influence of age on contractile response to insulin-like growth factor I on ventricular myocytes from spontaneously hypertensive rats. Hypertension 1999;34:1215–1222.
- Ren J, Sowers JR, Walsh MF, Brown RA. Reduced contractile response to insulin and IGF-1 in ventricular myocytes from genetically obese Zucker rats. Am J Physiol 2000;279:H1708-H1714.
- Ren J, Hintz KK, Brown-Borg HM. Impaired cardiac excitation-contraction coupling in ventricular myocytes from Ames dwarf mice with growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor I deficiency. FASEB J 2001;15:A757.
- Measurement of cardiac mechanical function in isolated ventricular myocytes from rats and mice by computerized video-based imaging
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Biological Procedures Online
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 43-53
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- intracellular Ca2+ transients
- edge detection