Can We Measure the Quality of Breast Surgical Care?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Many studies have demonstrated gaps in healthcare quality for all medical and surgical specialties including breast surgical care. How to optimally measure and improve quality has generated debate at the local, state, and national level. Attempts to judge medical performance by private companies using non-risk-adjusted administrative databases may not be accurate and may unfairly penalize surgical care. An overview of concepts to measure and improve quality of breast cancer care is presented with specific examples relevant to breast surgeons. Breast surgeons and their professional organizations need to take ownership of quality measure programs because others will surely do so if we do not. Participation in one or more of these programs is beneficial because peer performance comparison allows identification of potential areas for individual or institutional improvement and demonstrates the commitment of breast surgeons to quality improvement. This commitment may gain even greater importance if trends continue toward performance-based physician payment, patient steerage, licensure, and board certification.
- Can We Measure the Quality of Breast Surgical Care?
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 18, Issue 11 , pp 3053-3060
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Bellingham Regional Breast Center, Bellingham, WA, USA
- 2. Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
- 3. The National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, Chicago, IL, USA
- 4. Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care, Gundersen Lutheran Health System, La Crosse, WI, USA
- 5. Department of Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Health System, La Crosse, WI, USA
- 6. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI, USA
- 7. Patient Safety and Quality Committee of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, Columbia, MD, USA