Dynamic Tension Between Success in a Surgical Career and Personal Wellness: How Can We Succeed in a Stressful Environment and a “Culture of Bravado”?
“Many cancer surgeons are troubled by commonly occurring stressors, which may be masked by the bravado of the surgical culture…It is time to recognize and proactively address the problems of burnout and poor quality of life in physicians…. Our data show that burnout, and its associated problems, are truly widespread occupational hazards that deserve a systematic, organizational intervention… Tension exists between a culture of productivity and the need for self-care”.1
“Getting to wellness in all its dimensions and maintaining wellness throughout a career requires a mutual pact between the individual surgeon and the leadership that control their workplace environment…. Ultimately, quality outcomes for our patients may be enhanced if greater wellness can be cultivated in our surgical teams”.2
- Guest R, Scardino P, et al. Cancer surgeons’ distress and well-being, I: the tension between a culture of productivity and the need for self-care. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011.
- Guest R, Scardino P, et al. Cancer surgeons’ distress and well-being, II: modifiable factors and the potential for organizational interventions. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011.
- Shanafelt T, Chung H, White H, Lyckholm LJ. Shaping your career to maximize personal satisfaction in the practice of oncology. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:4020–6. CrossRef
- Gabbard GO, Menninger RW. The psychology of postponement in the medical marriage. JAMA. 1989;261:2378–81. CrossRef
- Shanafelt TD, Balch CM, Bechamps GJ, et al. Burnout and career satisfaction among American surgeons. Ann Surg. 2009;250:463–71.
- Kuerer HM, Breslin T, Shanafelt TD, Baile WF, Crawford W, Balch CM. Road map for maintaining career satisfaction and balance in surgical oncology. J Am Coll Surg. 2008;207:435–42. CrossRef
- Balch CM, Shanafelt TD, Sloan J, Satele DV, Kuerer HM. Burnout and career satisfaction among surgical oncologists compared with other surgical specialties. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18:16–25. CrossRef
- Shanafelt TD, Balch CM, Bechamps G, Russell T, Dyrbye L, Satele D, et al. Burnout and medical errors among American surgeons. Ann Surg. 2010;251:995–1000. CrossRef
- Campbell DA, Jr. Physician wellness and patient safety. Ann Surg. 2010;251:1001–2. CrossRef
- West CP, Huschka MM, Novotny PJ, Sloan JA, Kolars JC, Habermann TM, et al. Association of perceived medical errors with resident distress and empathy: a prospective longitudinal study. JAMA. 2006;296:1071–8. CrossRef
- West CP, Tan AD, Habermann TM, Sloan JA, Shanafelt TD. Association of resident fatigue and distress with perceived medical errors. JAMA. 2009;302:1294–300. CrossRef
- Balch CM, Copeland E. Stress and burnout among surgical oncologists: a call for personal wellness and a supportive workplace environment. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007;14:3029–32. CrossRef
- Balch CM, Freischlag JA, Shanafelt TD. Stress and burnout among surgeons: understanding and managing the syndrome and avoiding the adverse consequences. Arch Surg. 2009;144:371–6. CrossRef
- Shanafelt TD, Balch CM, Dyrbye L, Bechamps G, Russell T, Satele D, et al. Special report: suicidal ideation among American surgeons. Arch Surg. 2011;146:54–62. CrossRef
- Shanafelt T. A career in surgical oncology: finding meaning, balance, and personal satisfaction. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15:400–6. CrossRef
- Spickard A, Jr, Gabbe SG, Christensen JF. Mid-career burnout in generalist and specialist physicians. JAMA. 2002;288:1447–50. CrossRef
- Dyrbye LN, Shanafelt TD, Balch CM, et al. Relationships between work-home conflicts and burnout among American surgeons: a comparison by sex. Arch Surg. 2011;146:211–7. CrossRef
- Dyrbye LN, Shanafelt TD, Balch CM, et al. Physicians married or partnered to physicians: a comparative study in the American College of Surgeons. J Am Coll Surg. 2010;211:663–71. CrossRef
- Dynamic Tension Between Success in a Surgical Career and Personal Wellness: How Can We Succeed in a Stressful Environment and a “Culture of Bravado”?
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 18, Issue 5 , pp 1213-1216
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors