7th Edition of the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual: Esophagus and Esophagogastric Junction
In previous editions of the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) Cancer Staging Manual, esophageal cancer staging was neither data driven nor harmonized with stomach cancer. The new staging system presented in the 7th edition of the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, in contrast, is data driven and harmonized.1 This commentary describes development of the new system and highlights the changes and additions.
Data and Analysis
At the request of the AJCC, worldwide data were assembled to develop the 7th edition staging system for esophageal cancer.1 The Worldwide Esophageal Cancer Collaboration (WECC) was inaugurated in 2006. Thirteen institutions from five countries and three continents (Asia, Europe, and North America) submitted deidentified data by July 2007. These were used to construct a database of 4,627 esophagectomy patients who had no induction or adjuvant therapy to develop a staging system based on the pathologic tumor, node, metastasis (TNM) system.2
Several previously proposed rev ...
- Edge, SB, Byrd, DR, Compton, CC eds. (2009) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. Springer, New York
- Rice, TW, Rusch, VW, Apperson-Hansen, C (2009) Worldwide Esophageal Cancer Collaboration. Dis Esophagus. 22: pp. 1-8 CrossRef
- Ishwaran, H, Blackstone, EH, Apperson-Hansen, C (2009) A novel approach to cancer staging: application to esophageal cancer. Biostatistics 10: pp. 603-620 CrossRef
- Rice TW, Rusch VW, Ishwaran H, et al. Cancer of the esophagus and esophagogastric junction: data-driven staging for the 7th edition of the AJCC/UICC cancer staging manual. Cancer (in press).
- 7th Edition of the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual: Esophagus and Esophagogastric Junction
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 17, Issue 7 , pp 1721-1724
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Heart and Vascular Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue/Desk J4-1, Cleveland, OH, USA
- 2. Department of Quantitative Health Sciences, Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue/Desk JJ4-0, Cleveland, OH, USA
- 3. Department of Surgery, Thoracic Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA