Does Practice Make Perfect?
Extensive literature supports the correlation between surgical volume and improved clinical outcome in the management of various cancers. It is this evidence that has catalysed the creation of centres of excellence. However, on closer inspection, many of these studies are poor quality, low weight and use vastly heterogenous end points in assessment of both volume and outcome. We critically appraise the English language literature published over the last ten years pertaining to the volume outcome relationship in the context of cancer care. Future balanced unbiased studies may enable equipoise in planning international cancer management strategies.
- Birkmeyer JD, Warshaw AL, Finlayson SR, et al. Relationship between hospital volume and late survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy. Surgery 1999;126:178–83
- Smith DL, Elting LS, Learn PA, et al. Factors influencing the volume outcome relationship in gastrectomies: a population based study. Ann Surg Oncology 2007;14:1846–52 CrossRef
- Enzinger PC, Benedetti JK, Meyerhardt JA, et al. Impact of hospital volume on recurrence and survival after surgery for gastric cancer. Ann Surg 2007;245:426–34 CrossRef
- Schrag D, Panageas KS, Riedel E, et al. Hospital and surgeon procedure volume as predictors of outcome following rectal cancer resection. Ann Surg 2002;236:583–92 CrossRef
- Billingsley KG, Morris AM, Dominitz JA, et al. Surgeon and hospital characteristics as predictors of major adverse outcomes following colon cancer surgery: understanding the volume outcome relationship. Arch Surg 2007;142:23–31 CrossRef
- Ellison LM, Trock BJ, Poe NR, et al. The effect of hospital volume on cancer control after radical prostatectomy. J Urol 2005;173:2094–8 CrossRef
- Hollenbeck BK, Daignault S, Dunn RL, et al. Getting under the hood of the volume-outcome relationship for radical cystectomy. J Urol 2007;177:2095–9 CrossRef
- McCabe JE, Jibawi A, Javle P. Defining the minimal hospital case-load to achieve optimum outcomes in radical cystectomy. BJU Int 2005;96:806–10 CrossRef
- Sainsbury R, Haward B, Rider L, et al. Influence of clinician workload and patterns of treatment on survival from breast cancer. Lancet 1995;345:1265–70 CrossRef
- Skinner KA, Helsper JT, Deapen D. Breast cancer. Do specialists make a difference? Ann Surg Oncol 2003; 10(6):606–15
- Kelly M, Lamah M Evaluating the accuracy of data entry into a regional colorectal cancer database: implications for national audit. Colorectal Dis 2007;9:337–9 CrossRef
- Colorectal Cancer Screening: Clinical guidelines and rationale. Winawer S. Gastroenterology 2003; 112(2):594–642
- Rosenberg NA, Pritchard JK, et al. Genetic structure of human populations. Science 2002;298:2381–95 CrossRef
- Krieger N, Williams D, Moss N. Genetic structure of human populations. Measuring social class in US public health research; concepts, methodologies and guidelines. Annu Rev Pub Health 1997; 18:341–78
- Morris M, Lacopetta B, Platell C. Comparing survival outcomes for patients with colorectal cancer treated in public and private hospitals. Med J Aust 2007;186:296–300
- The Royal College of Radiologists’ Clinical Oncology Information Network. Guidelines on the non-surgical management of breast cancer. Version 1: June 1999
- Meyerhardt JA, Tepper JE, Niedzwiecki D, et al. Impact of hospital procedure volume on surgical operation and long-term outcomes in high risk curatively resected rectal cancer: findings from the Intergroup 0114 study. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:166–74 CrossRef
- Purves H, Pietrobon R, Hervey S, et al. Relationship between surgeon caseload and sphincter preservation in patients with rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 2005;48:195–204 CrossRef
- Schrag D, Cramer LD, Bach PB, et al. Influence of hospital procedure volume on outcomes following surgery for colon cancer. JAMA 2000;284:3028–35 CrossRef
- McGrath DR, Leong DC, Gibberd R, et al. Surgeon and hospital volume and the management of colorectal cancer patients in Australia. ANZ J Surg 2005;75:901–10 CrossRef
- Does Practice Make Perfect?
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 15, Issue 5 , pp 1267-1270
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors