The Role of Perioperative Systemic Chemotherapy in Diffuse Malignant Peritoneal Mesothelioma Patients Treated with Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of perioperative systemic chemotherapy (CT) on short-term surgical and long-term oncologic results in diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma (DMPM) patients treated with cytoreductive surgery (CRS) and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC).
Patients and Methods
We retrospectively analyzed data obtained from an institutional prospective database at NCI of Milan. The study group comprised 116 DMPM patients treated with CRS + HIPEC from August 1995 to October 2011. A total of 60 cases underwent preoperative CT (PRECT), 30 underwent postoperative CT (POSTCT), and 26 did not undergo any CT (NOCT). Also, 55 cases used the perioperative combination of platinum and pemetrexed. We tested whether covariates related to clinical, histologic, PRECT, and surgical treatment were correlated with completeness of cytoreduction (CC), postoperative G3-5 morbidity, and progression-free survival and overall survival (OS). Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed.
Factors independently associated with CC were ECOG performance status (PF) of 0, and PCI <20. Factors independently associated with postoperative G3-5 morbidity were ECOG >1, bowel anastomosis, and number of peritonectomy procedures. Preoperative platelet count >400 × 103/mm3, histological subtype (biphasic and sarcomatoid vs epithelial), CC, and G3-5 morbidity were independent prognostic factors. PRECT was not associated with CC or G3-5 morbidity. There was no significant difference in terms of survival between the PRECT, POSTCT, and NOCT groups.
The CC, G3-5, and OS were not influenced by aspects related to perioperative CT. The present data warrants confirmation reconducting the comparative analysis in a larger multi-institutional series preferably using matching control techniques.
- Peto J, Decarli A, La Vecchia C, Levi F, Negri E. The European mesothelioma epidemic. Br J Cancer. 1999;79:666–72. CrossRef
- DeVita V, Hellman S, Rosenberg S. Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams &Wilkins; 2004.
- Loggie BW, Fleming RA, McQuellon RP, Russell GB, Geisinger KR, Levine EA. Prospective trial for the treatment of malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. Am Surg. 2001;67:999–1003.
- Garcia Carbonero R, Paz-Ares L. Systemic chemotherapy in the management of malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2006;32:676–81.
- Vogelzang NJ, Rusthoven JJ, Symanowski J, Denham C, Kaukel E, Ruffie P, et al. Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:2636–44. CrossRef
- Janne PA, Wozniak AJ, Belani CP, Keohan ML, Ross HJ, Polikoff JA, et al. Open-label study of pemetrexed alone or in combination with cisplatin for the treatment of patients with peritoneal mesothelioma: outcomes of an expanded access program. Clin Lung Cancer. 2005;7:40–6. CrossRef
- Carteni G, Manegold C, Garcia GM, Siena S, Zielinski CC, Amadori D. Malignant peritoneal mesothelioma-results from the International Expanded Access Program using pemetrexed alone or in combination with a platinum agent. Lung Cancer. 2009;64:211–8. CrossRef
- Simon GR, Verschraegen CF, Jänne PA, Langer CJ, Dowlati A, Gadgeel SM, et al. Pemetrexed plus gemcitabine as first-line chemotherapy for patients with peritoneal mesothelioma: final report of a phase II trial. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:3567–72. CrossRef
- Deraco M, Baratti D, Kusamura S, Laterza B, Balestra MR. Surgical technique of parietal and visceral peritonectomy for peritoneal surface malignancies. J Surg Oncol. 2009;100:321–8. CrossRef
- Baratti D, Kusamura S, Nonaka D, Langer M, Langer M, Andreola S, Favaro M, et al. Pseudomyxoma peritonei: clinical pathological and biological prognostic factors in patients treated with cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC). Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15:526–34. CrossRef
- Rossi CR, Foletto M, Mocellin S, Pilati P, Quintieri L, De Salvo GL, et al. Hyperthermic intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy with cisplatin and doxorubicin in patients who undergo cytoreductive surgery for peritoneal carcinomatosis and sarcomatosis: phase I study. Cancer. 2002;94:492–9. CrossRef
- Jacquet P, Sugarbaker PH. Current methodologies for clinical assessment of patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 1996;15:49–58.
- Younan R, Kusamura S, Baratti D, Cloutier AS, Deraco M. Morbidity, toxicity, and mortality classification systems in the local regional treatment of peritoneal surface malignancy. J Surg Oncol. 2008;98:253–7. CrossRef
- Kusamura S, Baratti D, Younan R, Laterza B, Oliva GD, Costanzo P, et al. Impact of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy on systemic toxicity. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007;14:2550–8. CrossRef
- Charlson ME, Pompei P, Ales KL, MacKenzie CR. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chron Dis. 1987;40:373–83. CrossRef
- Sugarbaker PH. Results of treatment of 385 patients with peritoneal surface spread of appendiceal malignancy. Ann Surg Oncol. 1999;6:727–31. CrossRef
- Kusamura S, Baratti D, Deraco M. Multidimensional analysis of the learning curve for cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in peritoneal surface malignancies. Ann Surg. 2012;255:348–56. CrossRef
- Farquharson AL, Pranesh N, Witham G, Swindell R, Taylor MB, Renehan AG, et al. A phase II study evaluating the use of concurrent mitomycin C and capecitabine in patients with advanced unresectable pseudomyxoma peritonei. Br J Cancer. 2008;99:591–6. CrossRef
- Vergote I, Tropé CG, Amant F, Kristensen GB, Ehlen T, Johnson N, et al. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy or primary surgery in stage IIIC or IV ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med. 2010;363:943–53. CrossRef
- Yan TD, Deraco M, Baratti D, Kusamura S, Elias D, Glehen O, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: multi-institutional experience. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:6237–42. CrossRef
- Stone RL, Nick AM, McNeish IA, Balkwill F, Han HD, Bottsford-Miller J, et al. Paraneoplastic thrombocytosis in ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:610–8. CrossRef
- De Pangher Manzini V, Brollo A, Bianchi C. Thrombocytosis in malignant pleural mesothelioma. Tumori. 1990;76:576–8.
- Perrone F, Jocollè G, Pennati M, Deraco M, Baratti D, Brich S, et al. Receptor tyrosine kinase and downstream signalling analysis in diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. Eur J Cancer. 2010;46:2837–48. CrossRef
- The Role of Perioperative Systemic Chemotherapy in Diffuse Malignant Peritoneal Mesothelioma Patients Treated with Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 1093-1100
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Peritoneal Surface Malignancy Program, Department of Surgery, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori di Milano, Milan, Italy
- 2. University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Gr T Popa”, Iasi, Romania
- 3. Medical Oncology Department, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori di Milano, Milan, Italy