Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) for Persistent and Recurrent Advanced Ovarian Carcinoma: A Multicenter, Prospective Study of 246 Patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Epithelial ovarian carcinoma is the main cause of death from gynaecological cancers in the western world. The initial response rate to the frontline therapy is high. However, the prognosis of persistent and recurrent disease remains poor. During the two past decades, a new therapeutic approach to peritoneal carcinomatosis has been developed, combining maximal cytoreductive effort with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC).
A retrospective, multicentric study of 246 patients with recurrent or persistent ovarian cancer, treated by cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC in two French centers between 1991 and 2008, was performed.
An optimal cytoreductive surgery was possible in 92.2 % of patients. Mortality and morbidity rates were 0.37 % and 11.6 %, respectively. The overall median survival was 48.9 months. There was no significant difference in overall survival in patients with persistent or recurrent disease. In multivariate analysis, performance status was a significant prognostic factor in patients with extensive peritoneal carcinomatosis (peritoneal cancer index >10).
Salvage therapy combining optimal cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC is feasible and may achieve long-term survival in highly selected patients with recurrent ovarian carcinoma, including those with platinum resistant disease, with acceptable morbidity.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al. Cancer statistics, 2007. CA Cancer J Clin. 2007;57:43–66. CrossRef
- Barda G, Menczer J, Chetrit A, et al. Comparison between primary peritoneal and epithelial ovarian carcinoma: a population-based study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;190:1039–45. CrossRef
- Bristow RE, Tomacruz RS, Armstrong DK, et al. Survival effect of maximal cytoreductive surgery for advanced ovarian carcinoma during the platinum era: a meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2002;20:1248–59. CrossRef
- Cannistra SA. Cancer of the ovary. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:2519–29. CrossRef
- Rubin SC, Hoskins WJ, Hakes TB, et al. Recurrence after negative second-look laparotomy for ovarian cancer: analysis of risk factors. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1988;159:1094–8.
- Bertelsen K, Jakobsen A, Stroyer J et al. A prospective randomized comparison of 6 and 12 cycles of cyclophosphamide, adriamycin, and cisplatin in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer: a Danish Ovarian Study Group trial (DACOVA). Gynecol Oncol. 1993;49:30–6. CrossRef
- Bristow RE, Puri I, Chi DS. Cytoreductive surgery for recurrent ovarian cancer: a meta-analysis. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;112:265–74. CrossRef
- Zang RY, Zhang ZY, Li ZT, et al. Effect of cytoreductive surgery on survival of patients with recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2000;75:24–30. CrossRef
- van de Vaart PJ, van der Vange N, Zoetmulder FA, et al. Intraperitoneal cisplatin with regional hyperthermia in advanced ovarian cancer: pharmacokinetics and cisplatin-DNA adduct formation in patients and ovarian cancer cell lines. Eur J Cancer. 1998;34:148–54. CrossRef
- Glehen O, Gilly FN, Boutitie F, et al. Toward curative treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis from nonovarian origin by cytoreductive surgery combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: a multi-institutional study of 1,290 patients. Cancer. 2010;116:5608–18. CrossRef
- Elias D, Gilly F, Boutitie F, et al. Peritoneal colorectal carcinomatosis treated with surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: retrospective analysis of 523 patients from a multicentric French study. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:63–8. CrossRef
- Sugarbaker PH. New standard of care for appendiceal epithelial neoplasms and pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome? Lancet Oncol 2006;7:69–76. CrossRef
- Alberts DS, Liu PY, Hannigan EV, et al. Intraperitoneal cisplatin plus intravenous cyclophosphamide versus intravenous cisplatin plus intravenous cyclophosphamide for stage III ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:1950–5. CrossRef
- Markman M, Bundy BN, Alberts DS, et al. Phase III trial of standard-dose intravenous cisplatin plus paclitaxel versus moderately high-dose carboplatin followed by intravenous paclitaxel and intraperitoneal cisplatin in small-volume stage III ovarian carcinoma: an intergroup study of the Gynecologic Oncology Group, Southwestern Oncology Group, and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:1001–7.
- Armstrong DK, Bundy B, Wenzel L, et al. Intraperitoneal cisplatin and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:34–43. CrossRef
- Helm CW. The role of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in ovarian cancer. Oncologist. 2009;14:683–94. CrossRef
- Cotte E, Glehen O, Mohamed F, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemo-hyperthermia for chemo-resistant and recurrent advanced epithelial ovarian cancer: prospective study of 81 patients. World J Surg. 2007;31:1813–20. CrossRef
- Cotte E, Passot G, Gilly FN, Glehen O. Selection of patients and staging of peritoneal surface malignancies. World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2:31–5.
- Bukowski RM, Ozols RF, Markman M. The management of recurrent ovarian cancer. Semin Oncol. 2007;34:S1–15. CrossRef
- World Health Organization. WHO Handbook For Reporting Results Of Cancer Treatment Geneva. 1979.
- Jacquet P, Stephens AD, Averbach AM, et al. Analysis of morbidity and mortality in 60 patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis treated by cytoreductive surgery and heated intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Cancer. 1996;77:2622–9. CrossRef
- Gilly FN, Carry PY, Sayag AC, et al. Regional chemotherapy (with mitomycin C) and intra-operative hyperthermia for digestive cancers with peritoneal carcinomatosis. Hepatogastroenterology. 1994;41:124–9.
- Sugarbaker PH. Intraperitoneal chemotherapy and cytoreductive surgery for the prevention and treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis and sarcomatosis. Semin Surg Oncol. 1998;14:254–61. CrossRef
- Glehen O, Mithieux F, Osinsky D, et al. Surgery combined with peritonectomy procedures and intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia in abdominal cancers with peritoneal carcinomatosis: a phase II study. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:799–806. CrossRef
- Sugarbaker PH. Comprehensive management of peritoneal surface malignancy using cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: the Washington Cancer Institute approach. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009;10:1965–77. CrossRef
- Gonzalez-Moreno S, Kusamura S, Baratti D, Deraco M. Postoperative residual disease evaluation in the locoregional treatment of peritoneal surface malignancy. J Surg Oncol. 2008;98:237–41. CrossRef
- Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE). Version 4.0. In Edition 2009.
- Kaplan EL, Meier P. Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Statist Assoc. 1958;53:457–81. CrossRef
- Mutch DG. Gemcitabine combination chemotherapy of ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2003;90:S16–20. CrossRef
- Munkarah AR, Coleman RL. Critical evaluation of secondary cytoreduction in recurrent ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;95:273–80. CrossRef
- Harter P, Hahmann M, Lueck HJ, et al. Surgery for recurrent ovarian cancer: role of peritoneal carcinomatosis: exploratory analysis of the DESKTOP I Trial about risk factors, surgical implications, and prognostic value of peritoneal carcinomatosis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16:1324–30. CrossRef
- Helm CW, Richard SD, Pan J, et al. Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in ovarian cancer: first report of the HYPER-O registry. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 20:61–9.
- Zanon C, Clara R, Chiappino I, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia for recurrent peritoneal carcinomatosis from ovarian cancer. World J Surg. 2004;28:1040–5. CrossRef
- Helm CW, Bristow RE, Kusamura S, et al. Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy with and without cytoreductive surgery for epithelial ovarian cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2008;98:283–90. CrossRef
- Rufian S, Munoz-Casares FC, Briceno J, et al. Radical surgery-peritonectomy and intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis in recurrent or primary ovarian cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2006;94:316–24. CrossRef
- Raspagliesi F, Kusamura S, Campos Torres JC, et al. Cytoreduction combined with intraperitoneal hyperthermic perfusion chemotherapy in advanced/recurrent ovarian cancer patients: The experience of National Cancer Institute of Milan. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2006;32:671–5. CrossRef
- Crile G Jr. The effects of heat and radiation on cancers implanted on the feet of mice. Cancer Res. 1963;23:372–80.
- Barlogie B, Corry PM, Drewinko B. In vitro thermochemotherapy of human colon cancer cells with cis-dichlorodiammineplatinum(II) and mitomycin C. Cancer Res. 1980;40:1165–8.
- Glehen O, Kwiatkowski F, Sugarbaker PH, et al. Cytoreductive surgery combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the management of peritoneal carcinomatosis from colorectal cancer: a multi-institutional study. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22:3284–92. CrossRef
- Glehen O, Osinsky D, Cotte E, et al. Intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia using a closed abdominal procedure and cytoreductive surgery for the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis: morbidity and mortality analysis of 216 consecutive procedures. Ann Surg Oncol. 2003;10:863–9. CrossRef
- Elias D, Gilly F, Boutitie F, et al. Peritoneal colorectal carcinomatosis treated with surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: retrospective analysis of 523 patients from a multicentric French study. J Clin Oncol. 28:63–8.
- Guardiola E, Delroeux D, Heyd B, et al. Intra-operative intra-peritoneal chemotherapy with cisplatin in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis of ovarian cancer. World J Surg Oncol. 2009;7:14. CrossRef
- Pavlov MJ, Kovacevic PA, Ceranic MS, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and modified heated intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for advanced and recurrent ovarian cancer—12-year single center experience. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009;35:1186–91. CrossRef
- Fagotti A, Paris I, Grimolizzi F, et al. Secondary cytoreduction plus oxaliplatin-based HIPEC in platinum-sensitive recurrent ovarian cancer patients: a pilot study. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;113:335–40. CrossRef
- Di Giorgio A, Naticchioni E, Biacchi D, et al. Cytoreductive surgery (peritonectomy procedures) combined with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in the treatment of diffuse peritoneal carcinomatosis from ovarian cancer. Cancer. 2008;113:315–25. CrossRef
- Reichman TW, Cracchiolo B, Sama J, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and intraoperative hyperthermic chemoperfusion for advanced ovarian carcinoma. J Surg Oncol. 2005;90:51–6 (discussion 6–8). CrossRef
- Piso P, Dahlke MH, Loss M, Schlitt HJ. Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in peritoneal carcinomatosis from ovarian cancer. World J Surg Oncol. 2004;2:21. CrossRef
- Ryu KS, Kim JH, Ko HS, et al. Effects of intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemotherapy in ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;94:325–32. CrossRef
- Deraco M, Rossi CR, Pennacchioli E, et al. Cytoreductive surgery followed by intraperitoneal hyperthermic perfusion in the treatment of recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer: a phase II clinical study. Tumori. 2001;87:120–6.
- Cotte E, Colomban O, Guitton J, et al. Population pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of cisplatinum during hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy using a closed abdominal procedure. J Clin Pharmacol. 2011;51(1):9–18.
- de Bree E, Koops W, Kroger R, et al. Preoperative computed tomography and selection of patients with colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis for cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2006;32:65–71. CrossRef
- Yan TD, Haveric N, Carmignani CP, et al. Abdominal computed tomography scans in the selection of patients with malignant peritoneal mesothelioma for comprehensive treatment with cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Cancer. 2005;103:839–49. CrossRef
- Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) for Persistent and Recurrent Advanced Ovarian Carcinoma: A Multicenter, Prospective Study of 246 Patients
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 19, Issue 13 , pp 4052-4058
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Oncologic Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre-Bénite, France
- 2. French Trophoblastic Disease Reference Center, Université Lyon 1, Lyon, France
- 3. Department of Medical Oncology, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre-Bénite, France
- 4. Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women’s Health, St Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, USA
- 5. Department of Surgery, Centre Hospitalo-Universitaire de Nice, Nice, France