Adjuvant Chemolipiodolization Reduces Early Recurrence Derived from Intrahepatic Metastasis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma After Hepatectomy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma is still high even after surgery. Two general recurrence patterns occur: intrahepatic metastasis (IM) and multicentric carcinogenesis (MC). The aim of this study was to investigate the effectiveness of adjuvant chemolipiodolization for reducing IM or MC recurrences after surgery.
A retrospective case-control study was carried out. From April 2005, adjuvant chemolipiodolization was performed in 63 initial hepatocellular carcinoma patients 3 months after surgery. Sixty-four patients who underwent surgery between April 2001 and March 2005 were analyzed as the control group. Recurrence-free and overall survival as well as prognostic factors were analyzed univariately and multivariately.
The 2-year recurrence-free survival was 57% in the chemolipiodolization group and 37% in the control group (P = 0.02). However, there was no significant difference at 5 years after surgery (P = 0.09). The 5-year overall survival rates in the chemolipiodolization and the control groups were 82.4 and 55.7%, respectively (P = 0.04). Cox proportional multivariate analysis revealed that adjuvant chemolipiodolization was an independent favorable prognostic factor for 2-year recurrence-free survival, and the odds ratio [95% confidential interval] was 0.55 [0.34–0.90] (P = 0.02). However, adjuvant chemolipiodolization was not an independent favorable prognostic factor for 5-year overall survival.
Adjuvant chemolipiodolization can reduce the risk of early recurrences, which would be mainly IM derived. However, chemolipiodolization did not reduce late phase recurrences after surgery, which would be mainly MC derived. To prevent late phase recurrences, another novel strategy would be needed.
- Imamura H, Matsuyama Y, Tanaka E, et al. Risk factors contributing to early and late phase intrahepatic recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after hepatectomy. J Hepatol. 2003;38:200–7. CrossRef
- Llovet JM, Fuster J, Bruix J. Intention-to-treat analysis of surgical treatment for early hepatocellular carcinoma: resection versus transplantation. Hepatology. 1999;30:1434–40. CrossRef
- Poon RT, Fan ST, Ng IO, Lo CM, Liu CL, Wong J. Different risk factors and prognosis for early and late intrahepatic recurrence after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer. 2000;89:500–7. CrossRef
- Takenaka K, Adachi E, Nishizaki T, et al. Possible multicentric occurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma: a clinicopathological study. Hepatology. 1994;19:889–94. CrossRef
- Chen PJ, Chen DS, Lai MY, et al. Clonal origin of recurrent hepatocellular carcinomas. Gastroenterology. 1989;96:527–9.
- Portolani N, Coniglio A, Ghidoni S, et al. Early and late recurrence after liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma: prognostic and therapeutic implications. Ann Surg. 2006;243:229–35. CrossRef
- Sakon M, Umeshita K, Nagano H, et al. Clinical significance of hepatic resection in hepatocellular carcinoma: analysis by disease-free survival curves. Arch Surg. 2000;135:1456–9. CrossRef
- A new prognostic system for hepatocellular carcinoma: a retrospective study of 435 patients: the Cancer of the Liver Italian Program (CLIP) investigators. Hepatology. 1998;28:751–5.
- Tateishi R, Yoshida H, Shiina S, et al. Proposal of a new prognostic model for hepatocellular carcinoma: an analysis of 403 patients. Gut. 2005;54:419–25. CrossRef
- Yamamoto J, Kosuge T, Takayama T, et al. Perioperative blood transfusion promotes recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after hepatectomy. Surgery. 1994;115:303–9.
- Eguchi S, Kanematsu T, Arii S, et al. Comparison of the outcomes between an anatomical subsegmentectomy and a non-anatomical minor hepatectomy for single hepatocellular carcinomas based on a japanese nationwide survey. Surgery. 2008;143:469–75. CrossRef
- Katz SC, Shia J, Liau KH, et al. Operative blood loss independently predicts recurrence and survival after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Surg. 2009;249:617–23. CrossRef
- Yamamoto M, Arii S, Sugahara K, Tobe T. Adjuvant oral chemotherapy to prevent recurrence after curative resection for hepatocellular carcinoma. Br J Surg. 1996;83:336–40. CrossRef
- Lau WY, Leung TW, Ho SK, et al. Adjuvant intra-arterial iodine-131-labelled lipiodol for resectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective randomised trial. Lancet. 1999;353:797–801. CrossRef
- Izumi R, Shimizu K, Iyobe T, et al. Postoperative adjuvant hepatic arterial infusion of lipiodol containing anticancer drugs in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 1994;20:295–301. CrossRef
- Takenaka K, Yoshida K, Nishizaki T, et al. Postoperative prophylactic lipiodolization reduces the intrahepatic recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma. Am J Surg. 1995;169:400–4. CrossRef
- Li JQ, Zhang YQ, Zhang WZ, Yuan YF, Li GH. Randomized study of chemoembolization as an adjuvant therapy for primary liver carcinoma after hepatectomy. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 1995;121:364–6. CrossRef
- Takayama T, Sekine T, Makuuchi M, et al. Adoptive immunotherapy to lower postsurgical recurrence rates of hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomised trial. Lancet. 2000;356:802–7. CrossRef
- Mathurin P, Raynard B, Dharancy S, et al. Meta-analysis: evaluation of adjuvant therapy after curative liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003;17:1247–61. CrossRef
- Samuel M, Chow PK, Chan Shih-Yen E, Machin D, Soo KC. Neoadjuvant and adjuvant therapy for surgical resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;1:CD001199.
- Boucher E, Corbinais S, Rolland Y, et al. Adjuvant intra-arterial injection of iodine-131-labeled lipiodol after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2003;38:1237–41. CrossRef
- Tabone M, Vigano L, Ferrero A, Pellerito R, Carbonatto P, Capussotti L. Prevention of intrahepatic recurrence by adjuvant (131)iodine-labeled lipiodol after resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in HCV-related cirrhosis. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2007;33:61–6. CrossRef
- Shimoda M, Bando T, Nagata T, Shirosaki I, Sakamoto T, Tsukada K. Prophylactic chemolipiodolization for postoperative hepatoma patients. Hepatogastroenterology. 2001;48:493–7.
- Tanaka K, Shimada H, Togo S, et al. Use of transcatheter arterial infusion of anticancer agents with lipiodol to prevent recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after hepatic resection. Hepatogastroenterology. 1999;46:1083–8.
- Shimada M, Takenaka K, Gion T, et al. Prognosis of recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma: a 10-year surgical experience in Japan. Gastroenterology. 1996;111:720–6. CrossRef
- Lau WY, Lai EC, Leung TW, Yu SC. Adjuvant intra-arterial iodine-131-labeled lipiodol for resectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective randomized trial-update on 5-year and 10-year survival. Ann Surg. 2008;247:43–8. CrossRef
- Boucher E, Bouguen G, Garin E, Guillygomarch A, Boudjema K, Raoul JL. Adjuvant intraarterial injection of 131i-labeled lipiodol after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma: progress report of a case-control study with a 5-year minimal follow-up. J Nucl Med. 2008;49:362–6. CrossRef
- Chevret S, Trinchet JC, Mathieu D, Rached AA, Beaugrand M, Chastang C. A new prognostic classification for predicting survival in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Groupe d’etude et de traitement du carcinome hepatocellulaire. J Hepatol. 1999;31:133–41. CrossRef
- Damdinsuren B, Nagano H, Sakon M, et al. Interferon-beta is more potent than interferon-alpha in inhibition of human hepatocellular carcinoma cell growth when used alone and in combination with anticancer drugs. Ann Surg Oncol. 2003;10:1184–90. CrossRef
- Ikeda K, Arase Y, Saitoh S, et al. Interferon beta prevents recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after complete resection or ablation of the primary tumor—a prospective randomized study of hepatitis C virus-related liver cancer. Hepatology. 2000;32:228–32. CrossRef
- Kubo S, Nishiguchi S, Hirohashi K, et al. Effects of long-term postoperative interferon-alpha therapy on intrahepatic recurrence after resection of hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2001;134:963–7.
- Mazzaferro V, Romito R, Schiavo M, et al. Prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence with alpha-interferon after liver resection in HCV cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2006;44:1543–54. CrossRef
- Adjuvant Chemolipiodolization Reduces Early Recurrence Derived from Intrahepatic Metastasis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma After Hepatectomy
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 18, Issue 13 , pp 3624-3631
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors