Quality Measurement in Cancer Care Delivery
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
During the past decade, increasing emphasis has been placed on defining and measuring the quality of health care delivery. The Outcomes Committee of the Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) was established in 2008 to explore and promote emerging outcomes-related topics that are most relevant to society membership. In recognition of the importance of health care quality, a mini-symposium was held at the SSO’s 63rd Annual Cancer Symposium in St. Louis, Missouri, in March 2010. The primary objective of the symposium was to define what constitutes quality measurement in cancer care. This article presents an overview of the symposium proceedings.
- Hewitt MSJ. Ensuring quality cancer care. Washington DC: National Academy Press; 1999.
- Wennberg JE. The surgical treatment of common diseases. The Darthmouth Atlas of Health Care. Chicago, IL: American Hospital Publishing, Inc.; 1998.
- Ayanian JZ, Chrischilles EA, Fletcher RH, et al. Understanding cancer treatment and outcomes: the Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance Consortium. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22(15):2992–6. CrossRef
- Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance (CanCORS) Consortium. http://healthservices.cancer.gov/cancors, Vol. 2010: National Cancer Institute.
- Oliver A, Greenberg CC. Measuring outcomes in oncology treatment: the importance of patient-centered outcomes. Surg Clin North Am. 2009;89(1):17–25, vii. CrossRef
- Quality of care. Council on Medical Service. JAMA. 1986;256(8):1032–4. CrossRef
- Lohr KN, Donaldson MS, Harris-Wehling J. Medicare: a strategy for quality assurance, V: quality of care in a changing health care environment. QRB Qual Rev Bull. 1992;18(4):120–6.
- Birkmeyer JD, Dimick JB, Birkmeyer NJ. Measuring the quality of surgical care: structure, process, or outcomes? J Am Coll Surg. 2004;198(4):626–32. CrossRef
- Birkmeyer JD, Sun Y, Wong SL, Stukel TA. Hospital volume and late survival after cancer surgery. Ann Surg. 2007;245(5):777–83. CrossRef
- Birkmeyer JD, Stukel TA, Siewers AE, et al. Surgeon volume and operative mortality in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2003;349(22):2117–27. CrossRef
- Khuri SF. The NSQIP: a new frontier in surgery. Surgery 2005;138(5):837–43. CrossRef
- Wilke LG, Ballman KV, McCall LM, et al. Adherence to the National Quality Forum (NQF) breast cancer measures within cancer clinical trials: a review from ACOSOG Z0010. Ann Surg Oncol. 17(8):1989–94.
- http://www.qualityforum.org/Measures_List.aspx?keyword=breast+cancer. National Quality Forum.
- McCahill LE, Privette A, James T, et al. Quality measures for breast cancer surgery: initial validation of feasibility and assessment of variation among surgeons. Arch Surg. 2009;144(5):455–62; discussion 462–3. CrossRef
- http://www.qualityforum.org/Measures_List.aspx?keyword=colon+cancer. National Quality Forum.
- Neuss MN, Desch CE, McNiff KK, et al. A process for measuring the quality of cancer care: the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23(25):6233–9. CrossRef
- Bilimoria KY, Bentrem DJ, Lillemoe KD, et al. Assessment of pancreatic cancer care in the United States based on formally developed quality indicators. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009;101(12):848–59. CrossRef
- Bilimoria KY, Raval MV, Bentrem DJ, et al. National assessment of melanoma care using formally developed quality indicators. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(32):5445–51. CrossRef
- Bilimoria KY, Stewart AK, Winchester DP, Ko CY. The National Cancer Data Base: a powerful initiative to improve cancer care in the United States. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15(3):683–90. CrossRef
- Carter A, Chiappetta V, Delev A, et al. Grasping the essentials of CP3R. J Registry Manag. 2009;36(3):92–4.
- Aiello Bowles EJ, Tuzzio L, Wiese CJ, et al. Understanding high-quality cancer care: a summary of expert perspectives. Cancer. 2008;112(4):934–42. CrossRef
- Wong SL, McCahill LE, Edge SB, et al. Getting to better cancer care: results of a society of surgical oncology survey. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15(9):2363–71. CrossRef
- Quality Measurement in Cancer Care Delivery
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 18, Issue 3 , pp 611-618
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mayo Clinic Arizona, Phoenix, AZ, USA
- 2. University of Texas MD Anderson Medical Center, Houston, TX, USA
- 3. David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 4. Lacks Cancer Center, Grand Rapids, MI, USA
- 5. Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, USA
- 6. University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
- 7. UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
- 8. The Iowa Clinic/John Stoddard Cancer Center, West Des Moines, IA, USA
- 9. Elizabeth Pfriem SWIM Center for Cancer Care, St. Vincent’s Medical Center, Bridgeport, CT, USA
- 10. John and Dorothy Morgan Cancer Center, Leigh Valley Health Network, Allentown, PA, USA
- 11. Center for Melanoma Research and Treatment, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, CA, USA