Cytoreduction and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemoperfusion in Women with Heavily Pretreated Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Limited data are available on the use of cytoreductive surgery with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) in patients with recurrent stage III ovarian cancer.
Patients with recurrent, heavily pretreated ovarian cancer were enrolled onto a phase II multimodal protocol consisting of extensive cytoreduction followed by HIPEC.
Forty-two women were treated from October 2002 until January 2009. Chemoperfusion was performed with cisplatin in 59% and oxaliplatin in 41% of patients. A macroscopically complete resection was achieved in 50% of patients. No mortality occurred, and the major morbidity rate was 21%. After a mean follow-up of 21 months, median overall survival (OS) was 37 months (95% confidence interval 12.2–61.8) and median progression-free survival was 13 months (95% confidence interval 6.9–19.1). In univariate analysis, OS was influenced by completeness of cytoreduction, type of chemoperfusion drug, nodal status, and tumor grade. In a Cox regression model, only completeness of cytoreduction (hazard ratio 0.06–0.8, P = .022) and tumor grade (hazard ratio 1.23–12.6, P = .021) were independent predictors of OS.
In selected patients with heavily pretreated recurrent ovarian cancer, cytoreduction combined with HIPEC may provide a meaningful OS with acceptable morbidity. Optimal results are achieved in patients with a macroscopically complete resection and biologically favorable disease.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al. Cancer statistics, 2008. CA Cancer J Clin. 2008;58:71–96. CrossRef
- Ferlay J, Autier P, Boniol M, et al. Estimates of the cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2006. Ann Oncol. 2007;18:581–92. CrossRef
- Heintz APM, Odicino F, Maisonneuve P, et al. Carcinoma of the ovary. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2006;95:S161–92. CrossRef
- Leitao MM, Chi DS. Surgical management of recurrent ovarian cancer. Semin Oncol. 2009;36:106–11. CrossRef
- Bristow RE, Puri I, Chi DS. Cytoreductive surgery for recurrent ovarian cancer: a meta-analysis. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;112:265–74. CrossRef
- Harter P, Hahmann M, Lueck HJ, et al. Surgery for recurrent ovarian cancer: role of peritoneal carcinomatosis: exploratory analysis of the DESKTOP I Trial about risk factors, surgical implications, and prognostic value of peritoneal carcinomatosis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16:1324–30. CrossRef
- Alberts DS, Liu PY, Hannigan EV, et al. Intraperitoneal cisplatin plus intravenous cyclophosphamide versus intravenous cisplatin plus intravenous cyclophosphamide for stage III ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:1950–5. CrossRef
- Markman M, Bundy BN, Alberts DS, et al. Phase III trial of standard-dose intravenous cisplatin plus paclitaxel versus moderately high-dose carboplatin followed by intravenous paclitaxel and intraperitoneal cisplatin in small-volume stage III ovarian carcinoma: an intergroup study of the Gynecologic Oncology Group, Southwestern Oncology Group, and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:1001–7.
- Armstrong DK, Bundy B, Wenzel L, et al. Intraperitoneal cisplatin and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:34–43. CrossRef
- Spratt JS, Adcock RA, Muskovin M, Sherrill W, Mckeown J. Clinical delivery system for intra-peritoneal hyperthermic chemotherapy. Cancer Res. 1980;40:256–60.
- Issels RD. Hyperthermia adds to chemotherapy. Eur J Cancer. 2008;44:2546–54. CrossRef
- Cotte E, Glehen O, Mohamed F, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia for chemoresistant and recurrent advanced epithelial ovarian cancer: prospective study of 81 patients. World J Surg. 2007;31:1813–21. CrossRef
- Ryu KS, Kim JH, Ko HS, et al. Effects of intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemotherapy in ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;94:325–32. CrossRef
- Bijelic L, Jonson A, Sugarbaker PH. Systematic review of cytoreductive surgery and heated intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis in primary and recurrent ovarian cancer. Ann Oncol. 2007;18:1943–50. CrossRef
- Swellengrebel HAM, Verwaal VJ, Smeenk RM, Antonini N, Zoetmulder FAN. Quantitative intra-operative assessment of peritoneal carcinomatosis—a comparison of three prognostic tools. Eur J Cancer. Suppl 2007;5:258. CrossRef
- Ray-Coquard I, Weber B, Cretin J, et al. Gemcitabine-oxaliplatin combination for ovarian cancer resistant to taxane-platinum treatment: a phase II study from the GINECO group. Br J Cancer. 2009;100:601–7. CrossRef
- Stephens AD, Alderman R, Chang D, et al. Morbidity and mortality analysis of 200 treatments with cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy using the coliseum technique. Ann Surg Oncol. 1999;6:790–6. CrossRef
- Elias D, Bonnay A, Puizillou JM, et al. Heated intra-operative intraperitoneal oxaliplatin after complete resection of peritoneal carcinomatosis: pharmacokinetics and tissue distribution. Ann Oncol. 2002;13:267–72. CrossRef
- De Somer F, Ceelen W, Delanghe J, et al. Severe hyponatremia, hyperglycemia, and hyperlactatemia are associated with intraoperative hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion with oxaliplatin. Perit Dial Int. 2008;28:61–6.
- Ceelen WP, Peeters M, Houtmeyers P, et al. Safety and efficacy of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion with high-dose oxaliplatin in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15:535–41. CrossRef
- Eisenkop SM, Friedman RL, Spirtos NM. The role of secondary cytoreductive surgery in the treatment of patients with recurrent epithelial ovarian carcinoma. Cancer. 2000;88:144–53. CrossRef
- Salani R, Santillan A, Zahurak ML, et al. Secondary cytoreductive surgery for localized, recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer—analysis of prognostic factors and survival outcome. Cancer. 2007;109:685–91. CrossRef
- Zang RY, Li ZT, Tang J, et al. Secondary cytoreductive surgery for patients with relapsed epithelial ovarian carcinoma: who benefits? Cancer. 2004;100:1152–61. CrossRef
- Harter P, du Bois A, Hahmann M, et al. Surgery in recurrent ovarian cancer: the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Gynaekologische Onkologie (AGO) DESKTOP OVAR trial. Ann Surg Oncol. 2006;13:1702–10. CrossRef
- Ceelen W, Flessner M. Intraperitoneal cytotoxic drug therapy for tumours confined to the peritoneal cavity: biophysical principles and clinical evidence. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2009. doi: 10.1038/nrclinonc.2009.217.
- Glehen O, Kwiatkowski F, Sugarbaker PH, et al. Cytoreductive surgery combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the management of peritoneal carcinomatosis from colorectal cancer: a multi-institutional study. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22:3284–92. CrossRef
- Sugarbaker PH. New standard of care for appendiceal epithelial neoplasms and pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome? Lancet Oncol. 2006;7:69–76. CrossRef
- Sugarbaker PH. Cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the treatment of advanced primary and recurrent ovarian cancer. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2009;21:15–24. CrossRef
- Jacquet P, Stephens AD, Averbach AM, et al. Sugarbaker PH. Analysis of morbidity and mortality in 60 patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis treated by cytoreductive surgery and heated intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Cancer. 1996;77:2622–9. CrossRef
- Crawford SC, Vasey PA, Paul J, et al. Does aggressive surgery only benefit patients with less advanced ovarian cancer? Results from an international comparison within the SCOTROC-1 Trial. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:8802–11. CrossRef
- Kohandel M, Sivaloganathan S, Oza A. Mathematical modeling of ovarian cancer treatments: sequencing of surgery and chemotherapy. J Theor Biol. 2006;242:62–8. CrossRef
- Zenasni F, Botella M, Elias D, et al. The long-term impact of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy on survivors treated for peritoneal carcinomatosis: a cross-sectional study. Support Care Cancer. 2009;17:1255–61. CrossRef
- Markman M. Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the management of ovarian cancer: a critical need for an evidence-based evaluation. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;113:4–5. CrossRef
- Matei D, Emerson RE, Schilder J, et al. Imatinib mesylate in combination with docetaxel for the treatment of patients with advanced, platinum-resistant ovarian cancer and primary peritoneal carcinomatosis—a Hoosier Oncology Group trial. Cancer. 2008;113:723–32. CrossRef
- Pietras K, Ostman A, Sjoquist M, et al. Inhibition of platelet-derived growth factor receptors reduces interstitial hypertension and increases transcapillary transport in tumors. Cancer Res. 2001;61:2929–34.
- Zanon C, Clara R, Chiappino I, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia for recurrent peritoneal carcinomatosis from ovarian cancer. World J Surg. 2004;28:1040–5. CrossRef
- Reichman TW, Cracchiolo B, Sama J, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and intraoperative hyperthermic chemoperfusion for advanced ovarian carcinoma. J Surg Oncol. 2005;90:51–6. CrossRef
- Rufian S, Munoz-Casares FC, Briceno J, et al. Radical surgery—peritonectomy and intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis in recurrent or primary ovarian cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2006;94:316–24. CrossRef
- Raspagliesi F, Kusamura S, Torres JCC, et al. Cytoreduction combined with intraperitoneal hyperthermic perfusion chemotherapy in advanced/recurrent ovarian cancer patients: the experience of National Cancer Institute of Milan. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2006;32:671–5. CrossRef
- Helm CW, Toler CR, Martin RS, et al. Cytoreduction and intraperitoneal heated chemotherapy for the treatment of endometrial carcinoma recurrent within the peritoneal cavity. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2007;17:204–9. CrossRef
- Di Giorgio A, Naticchioni E, Biacchi D, et al. Cytoreductive surgery (peritonectomy procedures) combined with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in the treatment of diffuse peritoneal carcinomatosis from ovarian cancer. Cancer. 2008;113:315–25. CrossRef
- Fagotti A, Paris B, Grimolizzi F, et al. Secondary cytoreduction plus oxaliplatin-based HIPEC in platinum-sensitive recurrent ovarian cancer patients: a pilot study. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;113:335–40. CrossRef
- Cytoreduction and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemoperfusion in Women with Heavily Pretreated Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 19, Issue 7 , pp 2352-2359
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
- 2. Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium