Critical Assessment of Risk Factors for Complications After Cytoreductive Surgery and Perioperative Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for Pseudomyxoma Peritonei
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cytoreductive surgery (CRS) combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy (PIC) has demonstrated improved survival in selected patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP). However, this aggressive treatment modality has been consistently associated with variable rates of perioperative mortality between 0% and 18% and morbidity between 30% and 70%.
This study evaluates the clinical and treatment-related risk factors for perioperative morbidity and mortality in PMP patients who underwent CRS and PIC.
Materials and Methods
A total of 145 consecutive CRS and PIC procedures for PMP performed between January 1996 and March 2009 were evaluated. The association of 12 clinical and 20 treatment-related risk factors with grades III and IV/V morbidity were assessed by univariable and multivariable analysis.
The mortality (grade V) rate was 3%. The morbidity rates of grades III and IV were 23% and 22%, respectively. Eight factors were associated with grade IV/V morbidity on univariable analysis: peritoneal cancer index ≥21 (P = .034), ASA score ≥3 (P = .003), operation duration ≥10 h (P < .001), left upper quadrant peritonectomy procedure (P = .037), colonic resection (P = .012), ostomy (P = .005), ileostomy (P = .012), and transfusion ≥6 units (p = 0.011). Multivariable analysis showed 2 significant risk factors for grade IV/V morbidity: ASA ≥ 3 (P = .006) and an operation length ≥10 h (P < .001).
CRS and PIC has an acceptable rate of perioperative mortality and morbidity in selected patients with PMP. Patients with bulky disease who undergo a long operation are at a particularly high risk of a severe adverse event.
- Sugarbaker, PH (1994) Pseudomyxoma peritonei. A cancer whose biology is characterized by a redistribution phenomenon. Ann Surg 219: pp. 109-111 CrossRef
- Deraco, M, Baratti, D, Inglese, M, Allaria, B, Andreola, S, Gavazzi, C (2004) Peritonectomy and intraperitoneal hyperthermic perfusion (IPHP): a strategy that has confirmed its efficacy in patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei. Ann Surg Oncol 11: pp. 393-398 CrossRef
- Piso, P, Bektas, H, Werner, U, Schlitt, HJ, Kubicka, S, Bornscheuer, A (2001) Improved prognosis following peritonectomy procedures and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for peritoneal carcinomatosis from appendiceal carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol 27: pp. 286-290 CrossRef
- Smeenk, RM, Verwaal, VJ, Antonini, N, Zoetmulder, FA (2007) Survival analysis of pseudomyxoma peritonei patients treated by cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Ann Surg 245: pp. 104-109 CrossRef
- Elias, D, Honore, C, Ciuchendea, R, Billard, V, Raynard, B, Lo Dico, R (2008) Peritoneal pseudomyxoma: results of a systematic policy of complete cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Br J Surg 95: pp. 1164-1171 CrossRef
- Gonzalez-Moreno, S, Sugarbaker, PH (2004) Right hemicolectomy does not confer a survival advantage in patients with mucinous carcinoma of the appendix and peritoneal seeding. Br J Surg 91: pp. 304-311 CrossRef
- Yan TD, Black D, Savady R, Sugarbaker PH. A systematic review on the efficacy of cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007;14:484–92.
- Glehen, O, Kwiatkowski, F, Sugarbaker, PH, Elias, D, Levine, EA, Simone, M (2004) Cytoreductive surgery combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the management of peritoneal carcinomatosis from colorectal cancer: a multi-institutional study. J Clin Oncol 22: pp. 3284-3292 CrossRef
- Hansson, J, Graf, W, Pahlman, L, Nygren, P, Mahteme, H (2009) Postoperative adverse events and long-term survival after cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Eur J Surg Oncol 35: pp. 202-208
- Verwaal, VJ, Tinteren, H, Ruth, SV, Zoetmulder, FA (2004) Toxicity of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intra-peritoneal chemotherapy. J Surg Oncol 85: pp. 61-67 CrossRef
- Elias, D, Goere, D, Blot, F, Billard, V, Pocard, M, Kohneh-Shahri, N (2007) Optimization of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy with oxaliplatin plus irinotecan at 43°C after compete cytoreductive surgery: mortality and morbidity in 106 consecutive patients. Ann Surg Oncol 14: pp. 1818-1824 CrossRef
- Smeenk, RM, Verwaal, VJ, Zoetmulder, FA (2006) Toxicity and mortality of cytoreduction and intraoperative hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in pseudomyxoma peritonei—a report of 103 procedures. Eur J Surg Oncol 32: pp. 186-190 CrossRef
- Kusamura, S, Younan, R, Baratti, D, Costanzo, P, Favaro, M, Gavazzi, C (2006) Cytoreductive surgery followed by intraperitoneal hyperthermic perfusion: analysis of morbidity and mortality in 209 peritoneal surface malignancies treated with closed abdomen technique. Cancer 106: pp. 1144-1153 CrossRef
- Stephens, AD, Alderman, R, Chang, D, Edwards, GD, Esquivel, J, Sebbag, G (1999) Morbidity and mortality analysis of 200 treatments with cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy using the Coliseum technique. Ann Surg Oncol 6: pp. 790-796 CrossRef
- Glehen, O, Osinsky, D, Cotte, E, Kwiatkowski, F, Freyer, G, Isaac, S (2003) Intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia using a closed abdominal procedure and cytoreductive surgery for the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis: Morbidity and mortality analysis of 216 consecutive procedures. Ann Surg Oncol 10: pp. 863-869 CrossRef
- Yan, TD, Links, M, Fransi, S, Jacques, T, Black, D, Saunders, V (2007) Learning curve for cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for peritoneal surface malignancy—a journey to becoming a Nationally Funded Peritonectomy Center. Ann Surg Oncol 14: pp. 2270-2280 CrossRef
- Yan, TD, Edwards, G, Alderman, R, Marquardt, CE, Sugarbaker, PH (2007) Morbidity and mortality assessment of cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma—a prospective study of 70 consecutive cases. Ann Surg Oncol 14: pp. 515-525 CrossRef
- Jacquet, P, Stephens, AD, Averbach, AM, Chang, D, Ettinghausen, SE, Dalton, RR (1996) Analysis of morbidity and mortality in 60 patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis treated by cytoreductive surgery and heated intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Cancer 77: pp. 2622-2629 CrossRef
- Guner, Z, Schmidt, U, Dahlke, MH, Schlitt, HJ, Klempnauer, J, Piso, P (2005) Cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei. Int J Colorectal Dis 20: pp. 155-160 CrossRef
- Gusani, N, Cho, S, Colovos, C, Seo, S, Franko, J, Richard, S (2008) Aggressive surgical management of peritoneal carcinomatosis with low mortality in a high-volume tertiary cancer center. Ann Surg Oncol 15: pp. 754-763 CrossRef
- Jacquet, P, Sugarbaker, PH (1996) Clinical research methodologies in diagnosis and staging of patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis. Cancer Treat Res 82: pp. 359-374
- New classification of physical status. Anesthesiology 24: pp. 111-114
- Sugarbaker, PH (1995) Peritonectomy procedures. Ann Surg 221: pp. 29-42 CrossRef
- Ronnett, BM, Yan, H, Kurman, RJ, Shmookler, BM, Wu, L, Sugarbaker, PH (2001) Patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei associated with disseminated peritoneal adenomucinosis have a significantly more favorable prognosis than patients with peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis. Cancer 92: pp. 85-91 CrossRef
- Miner, TJ, Shia, J, Jaques, DP, Klimstra, DS, Brennan, MF, Coit, DG (2005) Long-term survival following treatment of pseudomyxoma peritonei: an analysis of surgical therapy. Ann Surg 241: pp. 300-308 CrossRef
- Gough, DB, Donohue, JH, Schutt, AJ, Gonchoroff, N, Goellner, JR, Wilson, TO (1994) Pseudomyxoma peritonei. Long-term patient survival with an aggressive regional approach. Ann Surg 219: pp. 112-119 CrossRef
- Al-Homoud, S, Purkayastha, S, Aziz, O, Smith, JJ, Thompson, MD, Darzi, AW (2004) Evaluating operative risk in colorectal cancer surgery: ASA and POSSUM-based predictive models. Surg Oncol 13: pp. 83-92 CrossRef
- McCulloch, P, Ward, J, Tekkis, PP (2003) Mortality and morbidity in gastro-oesophageal cancer surgery: initial results of ASCOT multicentre prospective cohort study. BMJ 327: pp. 1192-1197 CrossRef
- Schroeder, RA, Marroquin, CE, Bute, BP, Khuri, S, Henderson, WG, Kuo, PC (2006) Predictive indices of morbidity and mortality after liver resection. Ann Surg 243: pp. 373-379 CrossRef
- Vamvakas, EC (2002) Possible mechanisms of allogeneic blood transfusion-associated postoperative infection. Transfus Med Rev 16: pp. 144-160 CrossRef
- Hill, GE, Frawley, WH, Griffith, KE, Forestner, JE, Minei, JP (2003) Allogeneic blood transfusion increases the risk of postoperative bacterial infection: a meta-analysis. J Trauma 54: pp. 908-914 CrossRef
- Saxena A, Yan TD, Morris DL. Critical assessment of preoperative and operative risk factors for complications after iterative peritonectomy procedures. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009 [Epub ahead of print].
- Loungnarath, R, Causeret, S, Bossard, N, Faheez, M, Sayag-Beaujard, AC (2005) Cytoreductive surgery with intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia for the treatment of pseudomyxoma peritonei: a prospective study. Dis Colon Rectum 48: pp. 1372-1379 CrossRef
- Smeenk, RM, Verwaal, VJ, Zoetmulder, FA (2007) Learning curve of combined modality treatment in peritoneal surface disease. Br J Surg 94: pp. 1408-1414 CrossRef
- Chua, TC, Yan, TD, Smigielski, ME, Zhu, KJ, Ng, KM, Zhao, J (2009) Long-term survival in patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei treated with cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: 10 years of experience from a single institution. Ann Surg Oncol 16: pp. 1903-1911 CrossRef
- Kusamura, S, Baratti, D, Younan, R, Laterza, B, Oliva, G, Costanzo, P (2007) Impact of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy on systemic toxicity. Ann Surg Oncol 14: pp. 2550-2558 CrossRef
- Critical Assessment of Risk Factors for Complications After Cytoreductive Surgery and Perioperative Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for Pseudomyxoma Peritonei
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 17, Issue 5 , pp 1291-1301
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors