Recurrence of Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma Following Resection: Surgery Alone Can Achieve Results Equal to Surgery Plus Mitotane
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A recent nonrandomized interinstitutional study reported that adjuvant mitotane following surgery for adrenocortical carcinoma (ACC) was associated with decreased recurrence. Because of the limitations of this study, we investigated the influences of surgery and adjuvant mitotane in a large series of ACC patients evaluated and treated at a single referral center.
Retrospective evaluation of patients followed at a single institution after surgery for ACC.
218 patients with ACC underwent primary resection either at the index institution [surgery index (SI), n = 28] or an outside institution [surgery outside (SO), n = 190] and had a median follow-up of 88 months. SI patients had a superior disease-free survival compared with SO patients (median 25 versus 12 months, P = 0.003), and SI patients also had a superior overall survival compared with SO patients (median not reached versus 44 months, P = 0.02). Factors predicting increased risk of recurrence on multivariate analysis were surgery at an outside institution [hazard ratio (HR) 2.56, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.44–4.53, P = 0.001] and no treatment with adjuvant mitotane (HR 1.95, 95% CI 1.06–3.59, P = 0.03), and those predicting a poorer survival were advanced stage at presentation (P = 0.01) and surgery at an outside institution (HR 2.62, 95% CI 1.31–5.25, P = 0.007).
The recurrence rate of the index group (50%) in the current series, the overwhelming majority of whom did not receive adjuvant mitotane, is indistinguishable from that reported for those who received adjuvant mitotane (49%) in the recent interinstitutional report, emphasizing the importance of completeness of initial surgery in the management of patients with ACC.
- Lee JE, Berger DH, el-Naggar AK, Hickey RC, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Gagel RF, et al. Surgical management, DNA content, and patient survival in adrenal cortical carcinoma. Surgery. 1995;118(6):1090–8. CrossRef
- Dackiw AP, Lee JE, Gagel RF, Evans DB. Adrenal cortical carcinoma. World J Surg. 2001;25(7):914–26. CrossRef
- Schulick RD, Brennan MF. Long-term survival after complete resection and repeat resection in patients with adrenocortical carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 1999;6(8):719–26. CrossRef
- Bodie B, Novick AC, Pontes JE, Straffon RA, Montie JE, Babiak T, et al. The Cleveland Clinic experience with adrenal cortical carcinoma. J Urol. 1989;141(2):257–60.
- Icard P, Goudet P, Charpenay C, Andreassian B, Carnaille B, Chapuis Y, et al. Adrenocortical carcinomas: surgical trends and results of a 253-patient series from the French Association of Endocrine Surgeons study group. World J Surg. 2001;25(7):891–7. CrossRef
- Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Guinee VF, Klein MJ, Taylor SH, Hess KR, Schultz PN, et al. Impact of adjuvant mitotane on the clinical course of patients with adrenocortical cancer. Cancer. 1993;71(10):3119–23. CrossRef
- Terzolo M, Angeli A, Fassnacht M, Daffara F, Tauchmanova L, Conton PA, et al. Adjuvant mitotane treatment for adrenocortical carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2007;356(23):2372–80. CrossRef
- Bertherat J, Coste J, Bertagna X. Adjuvant mitotane in adrenocortical carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(12):1256–7; author reply 9. CrossRef
- Lee JE. Adjuvant mitotane in adrenocortical carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(12):1258; author reply 9. CrossRef
- Gonzalez RJ, Shapiro S, Sarlis N, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Perrier ND, Evans DB, et al. Laparoscopic resection of adrenal cortical carcinoma: a cautionary note. Surgery. 2005;138(6):1078–85; discussion 85–6. CrossRef
- Icard P, Chapuis Y, Andreassian B, Bernard A, Proye C. Adrenocortical carcinoma in surgically treated patients: a retrospective study on 156 cases by the French Association of Endocrine Surgery. Surgery. 1992;112(6):972–9.
- Haak HR, Hermans J, van de Velde CJ, Lentjes EG, Goslings BM, Fleuren GJ, et al. Optimal treatment of adrenocortical carcinoma with mitotane: results in a consecutive series of 96 patients. Br J Cancer. 1994;69(5):947–51.
- Kasperlik-Zaluska AA. Clinical results of the use of mitotane for adrenocortical carcinoma. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2000;33(10):1191–6. CrossRef
- Kendrick ML, Curlee K, Lloyd R, Farley DR, Grant CS, Thompson GB, et al. Aldosterone-secreting adrenocortical carcinomas are associated with unique operative risks and outcomes. Surgery. 2002;132(6):1008–11. CrossRef
- Fareau GG, Lopez A, Stava C, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Systemic chemotherapy for adrenocortical carcinoma: comparative responses to conventional first-line therapies. Anti-Cancer Drugs. 2008;19(6):637–44. CrossRef
- Gonzalez RJ, Tamm EP, Ng C, Phan AT, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Perrier ND, et al. Response to mitotane predicts outcome in patients with recurrent adrenal cortical carcinoma. Surgery. 2007;142(6):867–75; discussion 867–75. CrossRef
- Allolio B, Fassnacht M. Clinical review: adrenocortical carcinoma: clinical update. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91(6):2027–37. CrossRef
- Schteingart DE, Doherty GM, Gauger PG, Giordano TJ, Hammer GD, Korobkin M, et al. Management of patients with adrenal cancer: recommendations of an international consensus conference. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2005;12(3):667–80. CrossRef
- Huang H, Fojo T. Adjuvant mitotane for adrenocortical cancer—a recurring controversy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(10):3730–2. CrossRef
- Recurrence of Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma Following Resection: Surgery Alone Can Achieve Results Equal to Surgery Plus Mitotane
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 263-270
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
- 2. Department of Surgical Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
- 3. Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA