Controversies in the Management of Hepatic Colorectal Metastases
- Michael A. Choti MD, MBA, FACS
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Colorectal cancer is the fourth leading cancer in the United States and ranks second in cancer-related deaths. Of the more than 140,000 new cases per year with this disease, 50% will develop liver metastases and approximately 30% will have metastatic disease confined to the liver. In the past, few patients who developed liver metastases were considered eligible for surgically directed therapies. With improved surgical techniques, reduced postoperative mortality, and better systemic therapy, outcomes have improved in recent years, with reported 5-year survival rates exceeding 50%. Given these results, an increasingly aggressive approach in the management of metastatic colorectal cancer has been advocated by many, including the expansion of indications for surgical therapy in these patients.
In this issue of Annals of Surgical Oncology, a series of review articles have been solicited to focus on important controversial topics in the management of hepatic colorectal metastases. In the firs ...
- Benoist S, Nordlinger B. The role of preoperative chemotherapy in patients with resectable colorectal liver metastases. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16. DOI: 10.1245/s10434-009-0492-7.
- Choti MA. Chemotherapy associated hepatotoxicity: do we need to be concerned? Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16. DOI: 10.1245/s10434-009-0512-7.
- Reddy SK, Barbas AS, Clary BM. Synchronous colorectal liver metastases: is it time to reconsider traditional paradigms of management? Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16. DOI: 10.1245/s10434-009-0372-1.
- Carpizo DR, D’Angelica M. Liver resection for metastatic colorectal cancer in the presence of extrahepatic disease: a review of the literature. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16. DOI: 10.1245/s10434-009-0493-6.
- Tsai S, Pawlik TM. Outcomes of ablation versus resection for colorectal metastases: are we comparing apples to oranges? Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16. DOI: 10.1245/s10434-009-0491-8.
- Controversies in the Management of Hepatic Colorectal Metastases
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 16, Issue 9 , pp 2383-2384
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA