Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer: Does Pretreatment Axillary Nodal Staging Improve Decision Making?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To the Editor
Preoperative or neoadjuvant chemotherapy has been standard clinical practice in locally advanced breast cancer. This approach offers also the potential of tumor downstaging, allowing breast-conserving surgery (BCS) for women with large tumors at diagnosis.1 BCS is the preferred approach when certain criteria are met, excluding women with familial susceptibility to breast cancer and BRCA1- or BRCA2-positive testing.2–5 However, there are several limitations, including incomplete primary tumor resection with positive resection margins after neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by BCS. In the research arena, neoadjuvant therapeutic approach offers the major advantage of testing tumor response. Pathological partial or complete tumor reduction after experimental treatment with new targeted agents plus chemotherapy can be assessed in substantially shorter time period after systemic treatment rather than the anticipated 5 years to measure response with clinical endpoints such as dis
- Buchholz TA, Lehman CD, Harris JR, Pockaj BA, Khouri N, Hylton NF, et al. Statement of the science concerning locoregional treatments after preoperative chemotherapy for breast cancer: a National Cancer Institute conference. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(5):791–7. Review.
- Roukos DH, Kappas AM, Agnantis NJ. Perspectives and risks of breast-conservation therapy for breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2003;10:718–21. CrossRef
- Roukos DH, Briasoulis E. Individualized preventive and therapeutic management of hereditary breast ovarian cancer. Nat Clin Pract Oncol. 2007;4(10):578–90. CrossRef
- Fatouros M, Roukos DH, Arampatzis I, Sotiriadis A, Paraskevaidis E, Kappas AM. Factors increasing local recurrence in breast-conserving surgery. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. Aug 2005;5(4):737–45. CrossRef
- Roukos DH. Prognosis of breast cancer in carriers of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(15):1555–6 author reply 1556. CrossRef
- Kilbride KE, Lee MC, Nees AV, Cimmino VM, Diehl KM, Sabel MS, et al. Axillary staging prior to neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: predictors of recurrence. Ann Surg Oncol. Nov 2008;15(11):3252–8. CrossRef
- Goldhirsch A, Wood WC, Gelber RD,, Coates AS, Thürlimann B, Senn HJ, et al. Progress and promise: highlights of the international expert consensus on the primary therapy of early breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007;18(7):1133–44.
- Kaufmann M, von Minckwitz G, Bear HD, Buzdar A, McGale P, Bonnefoi H, et al. Recommendations from an international expert panel on the use of neoadjuvant(primary) systemic treatment of operable breast cancer: new perspectives 2006. Ann Oncol. 2007;18(12):1927–34; Epub 12 Nov 2007. Review. CrossRef
- Roukos DH. HER2 and response to paclitaxel in node-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:197, author reply 198. CrossRef
- Roukos DH. Breast-cancer stromal cells with TP53 mutations. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(15):1636 author reply 1636.
- Roukos DH. Linking contralateral breast cancer with genetics. Radiother Oncol. 2008;86:139–41. CrossRef
- Roukos DH, Murray S, Briasoulis E. Molecular genetic tools shape a roadmap towards a more accurate prognostic prediction and personalized management of cancer. Cancer Biol Ther. 2007;6(3):308–12. CrossRef
- Fatouros M, Baltoyiannis G, Roukos DH. The predominant role of surgery in the prevention and new trends in the surgical treatment of women with BRCA1/2 mutations. Ann Surg Oncol. Jan 2008;15(1):21–33. CrossRef
- Roukos DH, Agnanti NJ, Paraskevaidis E, Kappas AM. Approaching the dilemma between prophylactic bilateral mastectomy or oophorectomy for breast and ovarian cancer prevention in carriers of BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations. Ann Surg Oncol. 2002;9(10):941–3.
- Agnantis NJ, Paraskevaidis E, Roukos D. Preventing breast, ovarian cancer in BRCA carriers: rational of prophylactic surgery and promises of surveillance. Ann Surg Oncol. Dec 2004;11(12):1030–4. CrossRef
- Ziogas D, Baltogiannis G, Fatouros M, Roukos DH. Identifying and preventing high-risk gastric cancer individuals with CDH1 mutations. Ann Surg. 2008;247(4):714–5. CrossRef
- Liakakos T, Roukos DH. More controversy than ever—challenges and promises towards personalized treatment of gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15(4):956–60. CrossRef
- Kappas AM, Roukos DH. Quality of surgery determinant for the outcome of patient with gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2002;9(9):828–30. CrossRef
- Roukos DH. Early-stage gastric cancer: a highly treatable disease. Ann Surg Oncol. 2004;11:127–9. CrossRef
- Briasoulis E, Fatouros M, Roukos DH. Level I evidence in support of perioperative chemotherapy for operable gastric cancer: sufficient for wide clinical use? Ann Surg Oncol. 2007;14:2691–5. CrossRef
- Roukos DH. Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy in gastric cancer: wave goodbye to extensive surgery? Ann Surg Oncol. 2002;9:220–1. CrossRef
- Briasoulis E, Liakakos T, Dova L, Fatouros M, Tsekeris P, Roukos DH, et al. Selecting a specific pre- or postoperative adjuvant therapy for individual patients with operable gastric cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2006;6:931–9. CrossRef
- Manolio TA, Brooks LD, Collins FS. A HapMap harvest of insights into the genetics of common disease. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:1590–605. CrossRef
- Roukos DH. Genetics and genome-wide association studies: surgery-guided algorithm and promise for future breast cancer personalized surgery. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2008;8(5):587–97.
- Roukos DH. Innovative genomic-based model for personalized treatment of gastric cancer: integrating current standards and new technologies. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2008;8(1):29–39. CrossRef
- My genome. So, what. Nature. 6 Nov 2008;456(7218):1. Editorial.
- Roukos DH. Twenty-One_Gene Assay: challenges and promises in translating personal genomics and whole genome scans into personalized treatment of breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. Epub ahead of print 2 Feb 2009. DOI:10.1200/JCO.2008.20.2812.
- Roukos DH, Lykoudis E, Liakakos T. Genomics and challenges toward personalized breast cancer local control. J Clin Oncol. 10 Sep 2008;26(26):4360–1. CrossRef
- Ley TJ, Mardis ER, Ding L, Fulton B, McLellan MD, Chen K, et al. DNA sequencing of a cytogenetically normal acute myeloid leukaemia genome. Nature. 2008;456(7218):66–72. CrossRef
- Roukos DH. Assessing both genetic variation (SNPs/CNVs) and gene-environment interactions may lead to personalized gastric cancer prevention. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. Jan 2009;9(1):1–6. CrossRef
- Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer: Does Pretreatment Axillary Nodal Staging Improve Decision Making?
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 1063-1064
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors