Simplified Technique of Radioguided Occult Lesion Localization (ROLL) Plus Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy (SNOLL) in Breast Carcinoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Radioguided occult lesion localization (ROLL) is a new technique to detect nonpalpable breast tumors. We report our experience using injection of a single radiotracer to localize occult lesions together with sentinel lymph node (SLN) biopsy (SNOLL). The aim of this series was to evaluate the feasibility of the technique, its efficacy, and the rate of reoperation.
Under sonographic guidance, a nanocolloidal tracer was injected peritumorally above and below the lesion. A handheld gamma probe detector was used to locate and to guide its surgical removal. An intraoperative (IO) macroscopic examination of the specimen with margins evaluation and IO imprint cytology of SLN was always performed.
The targeted lesion was localized and removed in all cases. Final pathological diagnosis identified invasive in 70 patients and ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) in 2 patients. The average size of the resected lesion was 11 mm (4–50 mm). In 61 out of the 72 patients (85%), the breast specimen had clear and large margins. Sentinel lymph node (SLN) biopsy was performed in 70 patients with an identification rate of 90%. Final pathological SLN metastasis rate approached 25% (pN1 14%, pN1(mi) 11%). Despite intraoperative examination of the specimen, a total of 29% (21 out of 72) patients had to be reoperated (8 patients for involved margins, 10 patients for an involved SLN, and 3 for both).
This technique with a single nanocolloid tracer used both for ROLL and SLN detection is reliable for removing nonpalpable lesions. The use of this technique may have implications for further reducing reoperation rates.
- Goedde TA, Frykberg ER, Crump JM, et al. The impact of mammography on breast biopsy. Am Surg 1992; 58:661–6.
- Perry NM, EUSOMA Working Party. Quality assurance in the diagnosis of breast disease. EUSOMA Working Party. Eur J Cancer 2001; 37:159–72
- Homer MJ. Transection of the localization hooked wire during breast biopsy. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1983; 141:929–30.
- Davis PS, Wechsler RJ, Feig SA, et al. Migration of breast biopsy localization wire. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1988;150:787–8.
- Chadwick DR, Shorthouse AJ. Wire-directed localization biopsy of the breast: an audit of results and analysis of factors influencing therapeutic value in the treatment of breast cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol 1997; 23:128–33. CrossRef
- Luini A, Zurrida S, Galimberti V, et al. Radioguided surgery of occult breast lesions. Eur J Cancer 1998; 34:204–5. CrossRef
- Monti S, Galimberti V, Trifiro G, et al. Occult breast lesion localization plus sentinel node biopsy (SNOLL): experience with 959 patients at the European Institute of Oncology. Ann Surg Oncol 2007 Aug 1 [Epub ahead of print]
- Feggi L, Basaglia E, Corcione S, et al. An original approach in the diagnosis of early breast cancer: use of the same radiopharmaceutical for both non-palpable lesions and sentinel node localisation. Eur J Nucl Med 2001; 28:1589–96. CrossRef
- Ronka R, Krogerus L, Leppanen E, et al. Radio-guided occult lesion localization in patients undergoing breast-conserving surgery and sentinel node biopsy. Am J Surg 2004; 187:491–6. CrossRef
- Shimazu K, Tamaki Y, Tagushi T, et al. Lymphoscintigraphic visualization of internal mammary nodes with subdermal injection of radiocolloid in patients with breast cancer. Ann Surg 2003; 237:390–8. CrossRef
- De Cicco C, Trifiro G, Intra M, et al. Optimised nuclear medicine method for tumour marking and sentinel node detection in occult primary breast lesions. Eur J Nucl Med Mol I 2004; 31:349–54. CrossRef
- De Cicco C, Cremonesi M, Luini A, et al. Lymphoscintigraphy and radioguided biopsy of the sentinel axillary node in breast cancer. J Nucl Med 1998; 39:2080–4.
- Nadeem R, Chagla LS, Harris O, et al. Occult breast lesions: a comparison between radioguided occult lesion localisation (ROLL) vs. wire-guided lumpectomy (WGL). Breast 2005; 14:283–9. CrossRef
- Thind CR, Desmond S, Harris O, et al. Radio-guided localization of clinically occult breast lesions (ROLL): a DGH experience. Clin Radiol 2005; 60:681–6. CrossRef
- Luini A, Zurrida S, Paganelli G, et al. Comparison of radioguided excision with wire localization of occult breast lesions. Br J Surg 1999; 86:522–5. CrossRef
- Tanis PJ, Deurloo EE, Valdes Olmos RA, et al. Single intralesional tracer dose for radio-guided excision of clinically occult breast cancer and sentinel node. Ann Surg Oncol 2001; 8:850–5. CrossRef
- Krag D, Weaver D, Ashikaga T, et al. The sentinel node in breast cancer—a multicenter validation study. New Engl J Med 1998; 339:941–6. CrossRef
- Veronesi U, Paganelli G, Galimberti V, et al. Sentinel-node biopsy to avoid axillary dissection in breast cancer with clinically negative lymph-nodes. Lancet 1997; 349:1864–7. CrossRef
- Uren RF, Howman-Giles R, Renwick SB, et al. Lymphatic mapping of the breast: locating the sentinel lymph nodes. World J Surg 2001; 25:789–93. CrossRef
- Cox C, Centeno B, Dickson D, et al. Accuracy of intraoperative imprint cytology for sentinel lymph node evaluation in the treatment of breast carcinoma. Cancer 2005;105:13–20. CrossRef
- Chao C, Wong SL, Ackermann D, et al. Utility of intraoperative frozen section analysis of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer. Am J Surg 2001; 182:609–15. CrossRef
- Thomas B. Final results of a multi-center clinical trial on an intraoperative, rapid RT-PCR assay for sentinel lymph node metastases in breast cancer patients 5th Biennial international sentinel node society meeting—Sentinel node biopsy: new boundries—(Abstract) 2006:29
- Viale G, Dell’Orto P, Mazzarol G, et al. Comparative evaluation of extensive histopathological examination and RT-PCR assays on breast cancer SN. 5th Biennial international sentinel node society meeting—Sentinel node biopsy: new boundries—(Abstract) 2006:43
- Simplified Technique of Radioguided Occult Lesion Localization (ROLL) Plus Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy (SNOLL) in Breast Carcinoma
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 15, Issue 9 , pp 2556-2561
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Radioguided surgery
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Gynecologic and Oncologic Surgery, Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou, 12 Rue Leblanc, 75015, Paris, France
- 2. L’institut du Sein, Paris Breast Center, 7 Avenue Bugeaud, 75016, Paris, France
- 3. Centre Imagerie Médicale de l’Ouest Parisien, 16 Rue Pasteur, 92211, Saint Cloud, France