Modified Mohs Micrographic Surgery in the Therapy of Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans: Analysis of 22 Patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background: Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a very rare, low-grade malignant tumor. Local recurrence is frequent after incomplete resection either because of false diagnosis or inadequate standard surgical excision. This study evaluated the clinical outcome of micrographic surgery with paraffin sectioning in the therapy of DFSP.
Methods: Medical charts of 22 patients with histologically confirmed DFSP treated at our institution between 1987 and 2002 were reviewed.
Results: For 13 patients with primary and 9 with recurrent disease, tumor-free excision margins could be achieved, and all patients remained free of local recurrence during a mean follow-up of 54 months.
Conclusions: The results of our study and a review of the literature confirm the successful and recurrence-free treatment of DFSP with micrographic surgery as the treatment of choice for this locally invasive tumor. Particularly in recurrent lesions, we recommend the use of paraffin sectioning and three-dimensional histological evaluation as an accurate additional tool for treatment optimization.
- Adams JT, Salzstein SL. Metastasizing dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: report of two cases. Am Surg 1963; 29: 878–86.
- Taylor HB, Helwig EB. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a study of 115 cases. Cancer 1962; 15: 717–25. CrossRef
- Mc Peak CJ, Cruz T, Nicastri AD. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: an analysis of 86 cases—five with metastasis. Ann Surg 1967; 166: 803–16. CrossRef
- Petoin DS, Verola O, Banzet P, Dufourmentel C, Servant JM. Darier-Ferrand dermatofibrosarcoma. Study of 96 cases over 15 years. Chirurgie 1985; 111: 132–8.
- Smola MG, Soyer HP, Scharnagl E. Surgical treatment of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. A retrospective study of 20 cases with review of literature. Eur J Surg Oncol 1991; 17: 447–53.
- Ah-Weng A, Marsden JR, Sanders DS, Waters R. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans treated by micrographic surgery. Br J Cancer 2002; 87: 1386–9. CrossRef
- Gloster HM Jr. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Am Acad Dermatol 1996; 35: 355–74. CrossRef
- Ashack RJ, Tejada E, Parker C, Hanke CW. A localized atrophic plaque on the back. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) (atrophic variant). Arch Dermatol 1992; 128: 549–52. CrossRef
- Martin L, Combemale P, Dupin M, et al. The atrophic variant of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in childhood: a report of six cases. Br J Dermatol 1998; 139: 719–25. CrossRef
- Gloster HM Jr, Harris KR, Roenigk RK. A comparison between Mohs micrographic surgery and wide surgical excision for the treatment of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Am Acad Dermatol 1996; 35: 82–7. CrossRef
- Mohs FE. Chemosurgery: Microscopically Controlled Surgery for Skin Cancer. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas, 1978.
- Hobbs ER, Wheeland RG, Bailin PL, Ratz JL, Yetman RJ, Zins JE. Treatment of DFSP with Mohs micrographic surgery. Ann Surg 1988; 207: 102–7. CrossRef
- Breuninger H, Thaller A, Schippert W. Subclinical spread of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans and treatment modalities needed. Hautarzt 1994; 45: 541–5. CrossRef
- Shriner DL, McCoy DK, Goldberg DJ, Wagner RF Jr. Mohs micrographic surgery. J Am Acad Dermatol 1998; 39: 79–97. CrossRef
- Breuninger H, Schaumburg-Lever G. Control of excisional margins by conventional histopathological techniques in the treatment of skin tumours. An alternative to Mohs’ technique. J Pathol 1988; 154: 167–71. CrossRef
- Pack G, Tabah G. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a report of thirty-nine cases. Arch Surg 1951; 62: 391–411.
- Stojadinovic A, Karpoff HM, Antonescu CR, et al. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the head and neck. Ann Surg Oncol 2000; 7: 696–704. CrossRef
- D’Andrea F, Vozza A, Brongo S, Di Girolamo F, Vozza G. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: experience with 14 cases. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2001; 15: 427–9. CrossRef
- Bowne WB, Antonescu CR, Leung DH, et al. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a clinicopathologic analysis of patients treated and followed at a single institution. Cancer 2000; 88: 2711–20. CrossRef
- Haycox CL, Odland PB, Olbricht SM, Casey B. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP): growth characteristics based on tumor modeling and a review of cases treated with Mohs micrographic surgery. Ann Plast Surg 1997; 38: 246–51. CrossRef
- Ratner D, Thomas CO, Johnson TM, et al. Mohs micrographic surgery for the treatment of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Results of a multiinstitutional series with an analysis of the extent of microscopic spread. J Am Acad Dermatol 1997; 37: 600–13. CrossRef
- Kutzner H. Expression of the human progenitor cell antigen CD34 (HPCA-1) distinguishes dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans from fibrous histiocytoma in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue. J Am Acad Dermatol 1993; 28: 613–7. CrossRef
- Weiss SW, Nickoloff BJ. CD-34 is expressed by a distinctive cell population in peripheral nerve, nerve sheath tumors, and related lesions. Am J Surg Pathol 1993; 17: 1039–45. CrossRef
- Prieto VG, Reed JA, Shea CR. CD34 immunoreactivity distinguishes between scar tissue and residual tumor in re-excisional specimens of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Cutan Pathol 1994; 21: 324–9. CrossRef
- Massey RA, Tok J, Strippoli BA, Szabolcs MJ, Silvers DN, Eliezri YD. A comparison of frozen and paraffin sections in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Dermatol Surg 1998; 24: 995–8. CrossRef
- Nouri K, Lodha R, Jimenez G, Robins P. Mohs micrographic surgery for dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: University of Miami and NYU experience. Dermatol Surg 2002; 28: 1060–4. CrossRef
- Breuninger H. Micrographic surgery of malignant skin tumors: a comparison of the frozen technique with paraffin sectioning. Facial Plast Surg 1997; 13: 79–82. CrossRef
- Mikhail GR, Lynn BH. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1978; 4: 81–4.
- Peters CW, Hanke CW, Pasarelle HA, Bennett JE. Chemosurgical reports: DFSP of the face. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1982; 8: 823–6.
- Hess KA, Hanke CW, Estes NC, et al. Chemosurgical reports: myxoid dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1985; 11: 268–71.
- Robinson JK. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans resected by Mohs’ surgery (chemosurgery). J Am Acad Dermatol 1985; 12: 1093–8. CrossRef
- Hobbs ER, Ratz JL. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the hand: report of a case treated with Mohs micrographic surgery. Cleve Clin J Med 1988; 55: 252–6.
- Weber PJ, Gretzala JC, Hevia O, et al. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1988; 14: 555–8.
- Rockley PF, Robinson JK, Magid M, et al. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the scalp: a series of cases. J Am Acad Dermatol 1989; 21: 278–83. CrossRef
- Goldberg DJ, Maso M. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in a 9-year-old child: treatment by Mohs micrographic surgery. Pediatr Dermatol 1990; 7: 57–9. CrossRef
- Parker TL, Zitelli JA. Surgical margins for excision of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. J Am Acad Dermatol 1995; 32: 233–6. CrossRef
- Garcia C, Clark RE, Buchanan M. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Int J Dermatol 1996; 35: 867–71. CrossRef
- Dawes KW, Hanke CW. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans treated with Mohs micrographic surgery: cure rates and surgical margins. Dermatol Surg 1996; 22: 530–4. CrossRef
- Hafner J, Schutz K, Morgenthaler W, Steiger E, Meyer V, Burg G. Micrographic surgery (‘slow Mohs’) in cutaneous sarcomas. Dermatology 1999; 198: 37–43. CrossRef
- Huether MJ, Zitelli JA, Brodland DG. Mohs micrographic surgery for the treatment of spindle cell tumors of the skin. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001; 44: 656–9. CrossRef
- Oliveira-Soares R, Viana I, Vale E, Soares-Almeida LM, Picoto A. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a clinicopathological study of 20 cases. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2002; 16: 441–6. CrossRef
- Modified Mohs Micrographic Surgery in the Therapy of Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans: Analysis of 22 Patients
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 438-444
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
- Micrographic surgery
- Local recurrence
- Residual tumor
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Dermatology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
- 2. Universitäts-Hautklinik, Department of Dermatology, University of Heidelberg, Voßstrasse 2, D-69115, Heidelberg, Germany