Histopathologic Type: An Independent Prognostic Factor in Primary Soft Tissue Sarcoma of the Extremity?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Background: We attempted to define the effect of tumor histotype on local recurrence, distant metastasis, and disease-specific survival in patients with surgically treated primary extremity sarcoma.
Methods: A total of 951 patients with primary, localized soft tissue extremity sarcoma were followed up prospectively. Patient- and tumor-related variables, including histopathologic type, were used to identify independent prognostic factors for the study end points of local recurrence, distant recurrence, and disease-specific survival.
Results: There were 137 local recurrences, and significant adverse prognostic factors for local recurrence were patient age >50 years, microscopically positive margins, and malignant peripheral nerve tumor. Adverse prognostic factors for distant recurrence (200 patients) were tumor size >5 cm, tumors beneath the investing fascia, high tumor grade, and leiomyosarcoma. Of the 199 patients who died of disease-related causes, patient age >50 years, tumors beneath the investing fascia, high tumor grade, microscopically positive margin, tumor size >5 cm, leiomyosarcoma, and malignant peripheral nerve tumor were adverse prognostic factors.
Conclusions:These data suggest that differences in biological behavior may exist between sarcoma histotypes and deserve further study.
- Pisters PW, Leung DH, Woodruff J, Shi W, Brennan MF. Analysis of prognostic factors in 1041 patients with localized soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:1679–89.
- Collin C, Godbold J, Hajdu S, et al. Localized extremity soft tissue sarcoma: an analysis of factors affecting survival. J Clin Oncol 1988;5:601–12.
- Gaynor JJ, Tan CC, Casper ES, et al. Refinement of clinicopathologic staging for localized soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity: a study of 423 adults. J Clin Oncol 1992;10:1317–29.
- Heise HW, Myers MH, Russell WO, et al. Recurrence-free survival time for surgically treated soft tissue sarcoma patients. Multivariate analysis of five prognostic factors. Cancer 1986;57:172–7. CrossRef
- Rydholm A, Berg NO, Gullberg B, et al. Prognosis for soft tissue sarcoma in the locomotor system. A retrospective population-based follow-up study of 237 patients. Acta Pathol Microbiol Immunol Scand 1984;92:375–86.
- Singer S, Corson JM, Gonin R, et al. Prognostic factors predictive of survival and local recurrence for extremity soft tissue sarcoma. Ann Surg 1995;219:165–73. CrossRef
- Markhede G, Angervall L, Stener B. A multivariate analysis of the prognosis after surgical treatment of malignant soft-tissue tumors. Int J Cancer 1982;3:1721–33.
- Mandard AM, Petiot JF, Marnay J, et al. Prognostic factors in soft tissue sarcoma. A multivariate analysis of 109 cases. Cancer 1989;63:1427–51. CrossRef
- Chang HR, Gaynor J, Tan C, Hajdu SI, Brennan MF. Multifactorial analysis of survival in primary extremity sarcoma. World J Surg 1990;14:610–8. CrossRef
- Merchant NB, Lewis JJ, Woodruff JM, Leung DH, Brennan MF. Extremity and trunk desmoid tumors: a multifactorial analysis of outcome. Cancer 1999;86:2045–52. CrossRef
- Hajdu SI, Shu MH, Brennan MF. The role of the pathologist in the management of soft tissue sarcomas. World J Surg 1988;12:326–31. CrossRef
- Cox D. Regression models and life tables (with discussion). J R Stat Soc 1972;34:187–220.
- Wunder JS, Healey JH, Davis AM, Brennan MF. A comparison of staging systems for localized extremity soft tissue sarcoma. Cancer 2000;88:2721–30. CrossRef
- Ferner RE, Gutmann DH. International consensus statement on malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors in neurofibromatosis. Cancer Res 2002;62:1573–7.
- Histopathologic Type: An Independent Prognostic Factor in Primary Soft Tissue Sarcoma of the Extremity?
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 10, Issue 4 , pp 432-440
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Soft tissue sarcoma
- Prognostic factors
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- 2. Department of Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- 3. Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave., New York, NY, 10021