Local Recurrence After Skin-Sparing Mastectomy: Tumor Biology or Surgical Conservatism?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background:Long-term follow-up of the use of skin-sparing mastectomy (SSM) in the treatment of breast cancer is presented to determine the impact of local recurrence (LR) on survival.
Methods:A total of 539 patients were treated for 565 cases of breast cancer by SSM and immediate breast reconstruction from January 1, 1989 to December 31, 1998. The American Joint Committee on Cancer pathological staging was stage 0 175 (31%), stage I 135 (23.9%), stage II 173 (30.6%), stage III 54 (9.6%), stage IV 8 (1.4%), and recurrent 20 (3.5%). The mean follow-up was 65.4 months (range, 23.7–86.3 months). Five patients were lost to follow-up.
Results:Thirty-one patients developed a LR during the follow-up including five who received adjuvant radiation. The distribution of LR stratified by cancer stage was stage 0 1, stage I 5, stage II 17, stage III 6, and recurrent 2. The overall LR was 5.5%. Twenty-four patients (77.4%) developed a systemic relapse and 7 (22.6%) patients remained free of recurrent disease at a mean follow-up of 78.1 months. The cancer stage of those remaining disease free was stage 0 1 (100%), stage I 4 (80%), and stage II 2 (11.8%).
Conclusions:LR of breast cancer after SSM is not always associated with systemic relapse.
- Carlson GW. Skin sparing mastectomy: anatomic and technical considerations. Am Surg 1996; 62: 151–5.
- Carlson GW, Bostwick J III, Styblo TM, et al. Skin-sparing mastectomy. Oncologic and reconstructive considerations. Ann Surg 1997; 225: 570–5.
- Newman LA, Kuerer HM, Hunt KK, et al. Presentation, treatment, and outcome of local recurrence after skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol 1998; 5: 620–6.
- Gilliland MD, Barton RM, Copeland EM. The implications of local recurrence of breast cancer as the first site of therapeutic failure. Ann Surg 1983; 197: 284–7.
- Slavin SA, Schnitt SJ, Duda RB, et al. Skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate reconstruction: oncologic risks and aesthetic results in patients with early-stage breast cancer. Plast Reconstr Surg 1998; 102: 49–62.
- Rubio IT, Mirzan N, Sahin AA, et al. Role of specimen radiography in patients treated with skin-sparing mastectomy for ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Ann Surg Oncol 2000; 7: 544–8.
- Local Recurrence After Skin-Sparing Mastectomy: Tumor Biology or Surgical Conservatism?
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 108-112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Skin-sparing mastectomy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Winship Cancer Institute and the Department of Biostatistics, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia
- 2. Winship Cancer Institute, 1365B Clifton Rd., Atlanta, GA 30322