Ligustrazine Phosphate Ethosomes for Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease, In Vitro and in Animal Model Studies
In the present study, we have investigated transdermal administration of ligustrazine phosphate (LP), as an antioxidant, for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease (AD). The LP transdermal ethosomal system was designed and characterized. Franz-type diffusion cells and confocal laser scanning microscopy were used for the in vitro permeation studies. Furthermore, the effect of LP transdermal ethosomal system on AD was evaluated in the scopolamine-induced amnesia rats by evaluating the behavioral performance in the Morris water maze test. The activities of the antioxidant enzymes and the levels of the lipid peroxidation product malondialdehyde (MDA) in the brain of rats were also determined. The results showed that both the penetration ability and the drug deposition in skin of the LP ethosomal system were significantly higher than the aqueous one. The LP transdermal ethosomal system could recover the activities of the antioxidant enzymes and the levels of MDA in the brain of the amnesic rats to the similar status of the normal rats, which was also indirectly reflected by the improvement in the behavioral performance. In conclusion, LP might offer a potential alternative therapeutic drug in the fight against AD, and ethosomes could be vesicles of choice for transdermal delivery of LP.
- Brookmeyer R, Johnson E, Ziegler-Graham K, Arrighi HM. Forecasting the global burden of Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s Dementia. 2007;3:186–91. CrossRef
- Armstrong RA. Plaques and tangles and the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. Folia Neuropathol. 2006;44:1–11.
- Portelius E, Zetterberg H, Andreasson U, Brinkmalm G, Andreasen N, Wallin A, et al. An Alzheimer’s disease-specific β-amyloid fragment signature in cerebrospinal fluid. Neurosci Lett. 2006;409:215–9. CrossRef
- Cummings JL. Alzheimer’s disease. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:56–7. CrossRef
- Cai Z, Yan Y, Sun S, Zhang J, Huang L, Yan L, et al. Upregulation of BACE1 and β-Amyloid protein mediated by chronic cerebral hypoperfusion contributes to cognitive impairment and pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. Neurochem Res. 2009;34:1226–35. CrossRef
- Zhu X, Raina AK, Perry G, Smith MA. Alzheimer’s disease: the two-hit hypothesis. Lancet Neurol. 2004;3:219–26. CrossRef
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, Cronin MTD, Mazur M, Telser J. Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2007;39:44–84. CrossRef
- Gu F, Zhu M, Shi J, Hu Y, Zhao Z. Enhanced oxidative stress is an early event during development of Alzheimer-like pathologies in presenilin conditional knock-out mice. Neurosci Lett. 2008;440:44–8. CrossRef
- Zhang XL, Jiang B, Li ZB, Hao S, An LJ. Catalpol ameliorates cognition deficits and attenuates oxidative damage in the brain of senescent mice induced by d-galactose. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2007;8:64–72. CrossRef
- Jeong EJ, Ma CJ, Lee KY, Kim SH, Sung SH, Kim YC. KD-501, a standardized extract of Scrophularia buergeriana has both cognitive-enhancing and antioxidant activities in mice given scopolamine. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009;121:98–105. CrossRef
- Xu H, Shi DZ. The clinical applications and pharmacologic effects of Ligustrazine. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med. 2003;23:376–7.
- Zhang SJ, Wang ZT, Han LH, Chai SB. Effects of tetramethylpyrazine injection on angiogenesis and expression of VEGF mRNA in ischemic myocardium of rats with myocardial infarction. Chin J Exp Tradit Med Formulae. 2011;17:170–3.
- Zhu XL, Xiong LZ, Wang Q, Liu ZG, Ma X, Zhu ZH, et al. Therapeutic time window and mechanism of tetramethylpyrazine on transient focal cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Neurosci Lett. 2009;449:24–7. CrossRef
- Fan LH, Wang KZ, Cheng B, Wang CS, Dang XQ. Anti-apoptotic and neuroprotective effects of tetramethylpyrazine following spinal cord ischemia in rabbits. BMC Neurosci. 2006;7:48–52. CrossRef
- Cheng XR, Zhang L, Hu JJ, Sun L, Du GH. Neuroprotective effects of tetramethylpyrazine on hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis in PC12 cells. Cell Biol Int. 2007;31:438–43. CrossRef
- Zhao L, Wei MJ, He M, Jin WB, Zhao HS, Yao WF. The effects of tetramethylpyrazine on learning and memory abilities of mice with Alzheimer disease and its possible mechanism. Chin Pharmacol Bull. 2008;24:1088–92.
- Wang L, Guo Q, Han J, Zhang Y, Chen X. Pharmacokinetics of ligustrazine in blood, brain, and liver of mice. Chin Tradit Herb Drugs. 2009;40:935–8.
- Cai W, Dong SN, Lou YQ. HPLC determination of tetramethylpyrazine in human serum and its pharmacokinetic parameters. Acta Pharmaceut Sin. 1989;24:881–6.
- Zeng CY, Mei QX. ADRs induced by tetramethylpyrazine: literature analysis of 30 cases. China Pharm. 2008;19:1908–10.
- Prausnitz MR, Mitragotri S, Langer R. Current status and future potential of transdermal drug delivery. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2004;3:115–24. CrossRef
- Shakeel F, Baboota S, Ahuja A, Ali J, Aqil M, Shafiq S. Nanoemulsions as vehicles for transdermal delivery of aceclofenac. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2007;8:191–9. CrossRef
- Fang YP, Tsai YH, Wu PC, Huang YB. Comparison of 5-aminolevulinic acid-encapsulated liposome versus ethosome for skin delivery for photodynamic therapy. Int J Pharm. 2008;356:144–52. CrossRef
- Mishra D, Mishra PK, Dabadghao S, Dubey V, Nahar M, Jain NK. Comparative evaluation of hepatitis B surface antigen-loaded elastic liposomes and ethosomes for human dendritic cell uptake and immune response. Nanomedicine. 2010;6:110–8. CrossRef
- Lopez-Pinto JM, Gonzalez-Rodriguez ML, Rabasco AM. Effect of cholesterol and ethanol on dermal delivery from DPPC liposomes. Int J Pharm. 2005;298:1–12. CrossRef
- Shen T, Xu H, Weng W, Zhang J. Study on the human pharmacokinetics and relative bioavailability of tetramethylpyrazine phosphate patch. Proceedings of the sixth Chinese pharmaceutical association annual meeting. 2006, Nov 9, Guangzhou, China.
- Sethi P, Jyoti A, Hussain E, Sharma D. Curcumin attenuates aluminium-induced functional neurotoxicity in rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2009;93:31–9. CrossRef
- Zhang LW, Al-Suwayeh SA, Hsieh PW, Fang JY. A comparison of skin delivery of ferulic acid and its derivatives: evaluation of their efficacy and safety. Int J Pharm. 2010;399:44–51. CrossRef
- Schenk D. Current challenges for the successful treatment and prevention of Alzheimer’s disease: treating the pathologies of the disease to change its clinical course. Alzheimer’s Dementia. 2008;4:S119–21. CrossRef
- Butterfield DA, Perluigi M, Sultana R. Oxidative stress in Alzheimer’s disease brain: new insights from redox proteomics. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006;545:39–50. CrossRef
- Dubey V, Mishra D, Jain NK. Melatonin loaded ethanolic liposomes: physicochemical characterization and enhanced transdermal delivery. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2007;67:398–405. CrossRef
- Elsayed MMA, Abdallah OY, Naggar VF, Khalafallah NM. Deformable liposomes and ethosomes: mechanism of enhanced skin delivery. Int J Pharm. 2006;332:60–6. CrossRef
- Verma DD, Verma S, Blume G, Fahr A. Particle size of liposomes influences dermal delivery of substances into skin. Int J Pharm. 2003;258:141–51. CrossRef
- Zhao JH, Fu JH, Wang SM, Su CH, Shan Y, Kong SJ, et al. A novel transdermal patch incorporating isosorbide dinitrate with bisoprolol: in vitro and in vivo characterization. Int J Pharm. 2007;337:88–101. CrossRef
- Qi X, Ackermann C, Sun D, Sheng M, Hou H. Physicochemical characterization and percutaneous delivery of 2,3,5,6-tetramethylpyrazine. Int J Pharm. 2003;253:177–83. CrossRef
- Chen J, Long Y, Han M, Wang T, Chen Q, Wang R. Water-soluble derivative of propolis mitigates scopolamine-induced learning and memory impairment in mice. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2008;90:441–6. CrossRef
- Fan Y, Hu J, Li J, Yang Z, Xin X, Wang J, et al. Effect of acidic oligosaccharide sugar chain on scopolamine-induced memory impairment in rats and its related mechanisms. Neurosci Lett. 2005;374:222–6. CrossRef
- Ligustrazine Phosphate Ethosomes for Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease, In Vitro and in Animal Model Studies
Volume 13, Issue 2 , pp 485-492
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Alzheimer’s disease
- ligustrazine phosphate
- transdermal delivery
- Industry Sectors