A Statistical Approach to Optimize the Spray Drying of Starch Particles: Application to Dry Powder Coating
This article describes the preparation of starch particles, by spray drying, for possible application to a dry powder coating process. Dry powder coating consists of spraying a fine powder and a plasticizer on particles. The efficiency of the coating is linked to the powder morphological and dimensional characteristics. Different experimental parameters of the spray-drying process were analyzed, including type of solvent, starch concentration, rate of polymer feeding, pressure of the atomizing air, drying air flow, and temperature of drying air. An optimization and screening of the experimental parameters by a design of the experiment (DOE) approach have been done. Finally, the produced spray-dried starch particles were conveniently tested in a dry coating process, in comparison to the commercial initial starch. The obtained results, in terms of coating efficiency, demonstrated that the spray-dried particles led to a sharp increase of coating efficiency value.
- Obara S, Maruyama N, Nishiyama Y, Kokubo H. Dry coating: an innovative enteric coating method using a cellulose derivative. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 1999;47:51–9. CrossRef
- Pearnchob N, Bodmeier R. Dry powder coating of pellets with micronized Eudragit RS for extended drug release. Pharm Res. 2003;20(12):1970–6. CrossRef
- Pearnchob N, Bodmeier R. Dry polymer powder coating and comparison with conventional liquid-based coatings for Eudragit(R) RS, ethyl cellulose and shellac. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2003;56(3):363–9. CrossRef
- Pearnchob N, Bodmeier R. Coating of pellets with micronized ethyl cellulose particles by a dry powder coating technique. Int J Pharm. 2003;268(1–2):1–11. CrossRef
- Cerea M, Zheng W, Young C, McGinity JW. A novel powder coating process for attaining taste masking and moisture protective films applied to tablets. Int J Pharm. 2000;279:127–39. CrossRef
- Nagai T, Sekigawa F, Hoshi N, McGinity JW. Applications of HPMC and HPMCAS aqueous film coating of pharmaceutical dosage forms. In: Dekker Marcel, editor. Aqueous polymeric coatings for pharmaceutical dosage forms. New York: J. W. McGinity; 1998. p. 81–152.
- Cunningham CR, Fegely KA. One-step aqueous enteric coating system. Scale-up evaluation. Pharm Tech Eur. 2001;13:48–54.
- Ivanova E, Teunou E, Poncelet D. Encapsulation of water sensitive products: effectiveness and assessment of fluid bed dry coating. J Food Eng. 2005;71:223–30. CrossRef
- Terebesi I. Alternative polymers and processes for coating. Ph.D. Thesis, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- Esposito E, Roncarati R, Cortesi R, Cervellati F, Nastruzzi C. Production of Eudragit microparticles by spray drying technique: influence of experimental parameters on morphological and dimensional characteristics. Pharmaceut Develop Technol. 2000;5:267–78. CrossRef
- Masters K. Spray drying handbook. New York: Longman; 1991.
- Büchi Labortechnik AG. Training paper spray drying. Switzerland: Büchi Labortechnik AG; 1997.
- Kester JJ, Fennema O. Edible films and coatings: a review. Food Technol. 1986;40:47–59.
- Dimantov A, Greenberg M, Kesselman E, Shimoni E. Study of high amylose corn starch as food grade enteric coating in a microcapsule model system. Innovative Food Sci Emerg Technol. 2004;5:93–100. CrossRef
- Bilancetti L. Ecole Nationale d'Ingenieurs des Techniques des Industries Agricoles et Alimentaire. Ph.D. thesis dissertation, Nantes France, 2005.
- Tye H. Application of statistical ‘design of experiments’ methods in drug discovery. Drug Discov. 2004;9:485–91.
- Carmona MER, Da Silva MAP, Ferriera Leite SG. Biosorption of chromium using factorial experimental design. Process Biochem. 2005;40:779–88. CrossRef
- Debunne A, Vervaet C, Mangelings D, Remona JP. Compaction of enteric-coated pellets: influence of formulation and process parameters on tablet properties and in vivo evaluation. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2004;22:305–14. CrossRef
- Castellanos Gil E, Caraballo I, Bataille B. Tablet design. In: Cox Gad S, editor. Pharmaceutical manufacturing handbook: production and processes. Hoboken: Wiley; 2008. p. 977–1051.
- A Statistical Approach to Optimize the Spray Drying of Starch Particles: Application to Dry Powder Coating
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 1257-1267
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- dry coating
- spray drying
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. ENITIAA, UMR CNRS GEPEA 6144, route de la Geraudiere, BP 82225, 44322, Nantes Cedex 3, France
- 2. Department of Chemistry and Technology of Drugs, University of Perugia, via del Liceo 1, 06123, Perugia, Italy