Formulation and Evaluation of a Protein-loaded Solid Dispersions by Non-destructive Methods
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The purpose of this investigation was to develop solid dispersion (SD) formulation of cyclosporine (CyA) using polyethylene glycol (PEG-6000) to enhance its dissolution rate followed by nondestructive method for the prediction of both drug and carrier. SD formulations were prepared by varying the ratio of CyA and PEG-6000 by solvent evaporation technique and characterized by dissolution, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), Fourier transform infrared (FTIR), powder X-ray diffraction (PXRD), near infrared (NIR) and near infrared chemical imaging (NIR-CI). Dissolution data revealed enhanced dissolution of CyA when compared with pure CyA. DSC results showed that the crystallinity of PEG-6000 has decreased as indicated by decrease in the enthalpy of fusion and melting peak in the formulations. FTIR data demonstrated no chemical interaction between drug and carrier. The surface morphology of SD formulations was similar to PEG-6000 particle. NIR-CI disclosed homogeneity of SD matrix as indicated by symmetrical histograms with smaller values of skewness. Similar to NIR, a multivariate peak evaluation with principal component analysis and partial least square (PLS) were carried out with PXRD spectral data. PLS models with both techniques showed good correlation coefficient and smaller value of root mean square of errors. The accuracy of model for predicting CyA and PEG-6000 in NIR and PXRD data were 5.22%, 5.35%, 5.27%, and 2.10%, respectively. In summary, chemometric applications of non-destructive method sensors provided a valuable means of characterization and estimation of drug and carrier in the novel formulations.
- Ismailos G, Reppas C, Dressman JB, Macheras P. Unusual solubility behavior of cyclosporin A in aqueous media. J Pharm Pharmacol. 1991;43:287–9.
- Taylor NE, Mark AE, Vallat P, Brunne RM, Testa B, Van Gunteren WF. Solvent dependent conformation and hydrogen bounding capacity of cyclosporin A: evidence from partition coefficient and molecular dynamic simulations. J Med Chem. 1993;36:3753–64.
- Amidon GL, Lennernas H, Shah VP, Crison JR. A theoretical basis for biopharmaceutic drug classification: the correlation of in vitro drug product dissolution and in vivo bioavailability. Pharm Res. 1995;12:413–20. CrossRef
- Chiu YY, Higaki K, Neudeck BL, Barnett JL, Welage LS, Amidon GL. Human jejunal permeability of cyclosporin A: influence of surfactants on P-glycoprotein efflux in Caco-2 cells. Pharm Res. 2003;20:749–56. CrossRef
- Liu C, Zhu SJ, Zhou Y, Wei YP, Pei YY. Enhancement of dissolution of cyclosporine A using solid dispersions with polyoxyethylene (40) stearate. Pharmazie. 2006;61:681–4.
- Matilainen L, Järvinen K, Toropainen T, Näsi E, Auriola S, Järvinen T, et al. In vitro evaluation of the effect of cyclodextrin complexation on pulmonary deposition of a peptide, cyclosporin A. Int J Pharm. 2006;318:41–8. CrossRef
- Zidan AS, Habib MJ, Khan MA. Process analytical technology: nondestructive evaluation of cyclosporine A and phospholipid solid dispersions by near infrared spectroscopy and imaging. J Pharm Sci. 2008;97:3388–99. CrossRef
- Khan MA, Karnachi AA, Agarwal V, Vaithiyalingam SV, Nazzal S, Reddy IK. Stability characterization of controlled release coprecipitates and solid dispersions. J Control Release. 2000;63:1–6. CrossRef
- Roth W, Setnik B, Zietsch M, Burst A, Breitenbach J, Sellers E, et al. Ethanol effects on drug release from Verapamil Meltrex®, an innovative melt extruded formulation. Int J Pharm. 2009;368:72–5. CrossRef
- Chen R, Takahashi H, Okamoto H, Danjo K. Particle design of three-component system for sustained release using a 4-fluid nozzle spray-drying technique. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2006;54:1486–90. CrossRef
- Chen H, Jiang G, Ding F. Monolithic osmotic tablet containing solid dispersion of 10-hydroxycamptothecin. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2009;35:131–7. CrossRef
- Kanagale P, Patel V, Venkatesan N, Jain M, Patel P, Misra A. Pharmaceutical development of solid dispersion based osmotic drug delivery system for nifedipine. Curr Drug Deliv. 2008;5:306–11. CrossRef
- Shah PP, Mashru RC. Formulation and evaluation of primaquine phosphate taste-masked rapidly disintegrating tablet. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2008;60:1279–85. CrossRef
- Pathak D, Dahiya S, Pathak K. Solid dispersion of meloxicam: factorially designed dosage form for geriatric population. Acta Pharm. 2008;58:99–110. CrossRef
- Rahamathulla M, Hv G, Rathod N. Solubility and dissolution improvement of Rofecoxib using solid dispersion technique. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2008;21:350–5.
- Zijlstra GS, Rijkeboer M, Jan van Drooge D, Sutter M, Jiskoot W, van de Weert M, et al. Characterization of a cyclosporine solid dispersion for inhalation. AAPS J. 2007;9:E190–9. CrossRef
- Lee EJ, Lee SW, Choi HG, Kim CK. Bioavailability of cyclosporin A dispersed in sodium lauryl sulfate-dextrin based solid microspheres. Int J Pharm. 2001;218:125–31. CrossRef
- Takada K, Oh-hashi M, Furuya Y, Yoshikawa H, Muranishi S. Enteric solid dispersion of cyclosporin A (CyA) having potential to improve availability of CyA in rabbit. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 1989;37:2542–4.
- FDA/CDER Guidance for industry. PAT-A framework for innovative pharmaceutical development, manufacturing, and quality assurance. September 2004
- Coates JP. In: Bakeev KA, editor. Process analytical technology. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing; 2005. p. 91. CrossRef
- Lai CK, Cooney CL. Application of a fluorescence sensor for miniscale on-line monitoring of powder mixing kinetics. J Pharm Sci. 2003;93:60–70. CrossRef
- Baughman E. In: Bakeev KA, editor. Process analytical technology. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing; 2005. p. 1. CrossRef
- Lewis EN, Schoppelrei J, Lee E. Molecular spectroscopy workbench near-infrared chemical imaging and the PAT initiative. Spectrosc. 2004;19:26–36.
- Bodson C, Rozet E, Ziemons E, Evrard B, Hubert Ph, Delattre L. Validation of manufacturing process of diltiazem HCl tablets by NIR spectrophotometry (NIRS). J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2007;45:356–61. CrossRef
- Phadnis NV, Cavatur RK, Suryanarayanan R. Identification of drugs in pharmaceutical dosage forms by X-ray powder diffractometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1997;15:929–43. CrossRef
- Davis TD, Morris KR, Huang H, Peck GE, Stowell JG, Eisenhauer BJ, et al. In situ monitoring of wet granulation using online X-ray powder diffraction. Pharm Res. 2003;20:1851–7. CrossRef
- Dash AK, Khin-Khin A, Suryanarayanan R. X-ray powder diffractometric method for quantitation of crystalline drug in microparticulate systems. I. microspheres. J Pharm Sci. 2002;91:983–90. CrossRef
- Stephenson GA, Young R. Potential applications of Rietveld analysis in the pharmaceutical industry. Am Pharm Rev. 2001;4:46–51.
- Chen X, Bates S, Morris KR. Quantifying amorphous content of lactose using parallel beam X-ray powder diffraction and whole pattern fitting. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2001;26:63–72. CrossRef
- Mateos AG (1992) Quantitative XRD analysis by partial least squares application in a commercial product. In: Barrett JV, SC, Gilfrich, Huang TC, Jenkins R, Mc Carthy GJ, Predecki PK, Ryon R, Smith DK (eds) Advances in X-ray analysis. Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York, 35:117-126
- Vasconcelos T, Sarmento B, Costa P. Solid dispersions as strategy to improve oral bioavailability of poor water-soluble drugs. Drug Discov Today. 2007;12:1068–75. CrossRef
- Cho S, Chung H, Lee Y. Simple and fast near-infrared spectroscopic analysis of hydroxyl number of polyol using a disposable glass vial. Microchem J. 2005;80:189–93. CrossRef
- Higuchi T, Connors KA. Phase solubility techniques. Adv Anal Chem Instrum. 1965;4:117–212.
- Zerrouk N, Chemtob C, Arnaud P, Toscani S, Dugue J. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of carbamazepine-PEG 6000 solid dispersions. Int J Pharma. 2001;225:49–62. CrossRef
- Khan KA. The concept of dissolution efficiency. J Pharm Pharmacol. 1975;27:48–9.
- Merchant HA, Shoaib HM, Tazeen J, Yousuf RI. Once-daily tablet formulation and in vitro release evaluation of cefpodoxime using hydroxypropyl methylcellulose: a technical note. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2006;7:E1–6. CrossRef
- Lechuga-Ballestros D, Abdul-Fattah A, Stevenson CL, Bennett DB. Properties and stability of a liquid crystal form of Cyclosporine—the first reported naturally occurring peptide that exists as a thermotropic liquid crystal. J Pharm Sci. 2003;92:1821–31. CrossRef
- Lin CW, Cham TM. Effect of particle size on the available surface area of nifedipine from nifedipine-polyethylene glycol 6000 solid dispersions. Int J Pharm. 1996;127:261–72. CrossRef
- Shahroodi AB, Nassab PR, Révész PS. Preparation of a solid dispersion by a dropping method to improve the rate of dissolution of meloxicam. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2008;34:781–8. CrossRef
- Heigl N, Petter CH, Lieb M, Bonn GK, Huck CW. Near-infrared reflection spectroscopy and partial least squares regression for determining the total carbon coverage of silica packings for liquid chromatography. Vibration Spectrosc. 2009;49:155–61. CrossRef
- Smith RC, Baker KS. Optical properties of clearest natural waters (200-800 nm). Appl Opt. 1981;20:177–84. CrossRef
- Suda M, Takayama K, Otsuka M. An accurate quantitative analysis of polymorphic content by chemometric X-ray powder diffraction. Anal Sci. 2008;24:451–7. CrossRef
- Geladi P, MacDougall D, Martens H. Linearization and scatter-correction for near-infrared reflectance spectra of meat. Appl Spectrosc. 1985;39:491–500. CrossRef
- Barnes RJ, Dhanoa MS, Lister SJ. Standard normal variate transformation and de-trending of near-infrared diffuse reflectance spectra. Appl Spectrosc. 1989;43:772–7. CrossRef
- Tahboub YR, Pardue HL. Evaluation of multiwavelength first- and second-derivative spectra for the quantitation of mixtures of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons. Anal Chem. 1985;57:38–41. CrossRef
- Baratieri SC, Barbosa JM, Freitas MP, Martins JA. Multivariate analysis of nystatin and metronidazole in a semi-solid matrix by means of diffuse reflectance NIR spectroscopy and PLS regression. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2006;40:51–5. CrossRef
- Otsuka M. Comparative particle size determination of phenacetin bulk powder by using kubelka-Munk theory and principal component regression analysis based on near infrared spectroscopy. Powder Technol. 2004;141:244–50. CrossRef
- Formulation and Evaluation of a Protein-loaded Solid Dispersions by Non-destructive Methods
The AAPS Journal
Volume 12, Issue 2 , pp 158-170
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- solid dispersion
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Product Quality and Research, Center of Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
- 2. Faculty of Pharmacy, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt
- 3. FDA/CDER/DPQR, White Oak, LS Building 64, Room 1070, 10903 New Hampshire Ave, Silver Spring, Maryland, 20993-002, USA