Influence of long-term stability conditions on microbicidal nucleoside prodrug (WHI-07)-loaded gel-microemulsion
The objective of this study was to evaluate the long-term stability of the antiretroviral spermicide WHI-07 (5-bromo-6-methoxy-5,6-dihydro-3′-azidothymidine-5′-(p-bromophenyl)-methoxyalaninyl phosphate) in a polymer-based microemulsion. The recovery and stability of WHI-07 in gelmicroemulsion was examined by a validated high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) method. The stability was examined over a period of 24 weeks at 3 controlled temperatures (4°C, 25°C, and 40°C). The recovery of the prodrug from 0.5% to 2.0% WHI-07-loaded gel-microemulsion was 99.8%. HPLC analysis revealed that a 2% WHI-07-loaded gel-microemulsion stored at room temperature and cold temperatures for 24 weeks retained >90% of the prodrug, whereas those stored at 40°C maintained 90% of initial WHI-07 for at least 10 weeks. The observed stability of WHI-07 in gel-microemulsion is of great importance for its widespread utility in various climatological conditions.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Diagnoses of HIV/AIDS—32 states, 2000–2003.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004;53:1106–1110.
- Mujeeb SA, Altaf A. The AIDS pandemic.N Engl J Med. 2003;349:814–815. CrossRef
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS). 2006 Report on the global AIDS epidemic. Available at: http://www.unaids. org/en/HIV%5Fdata/2006GlobalReport. Accessed: May 13, 2006.
- HIV Infection in Women. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Web page. May 2006. Available at: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/ factsheets/womenhiv.htm. Accessed: May 13, 2006.
- Quayle AJ, Xu C, Mayer KH, Anderson DJ. T lymphocytes and macrophages, but not motile spermatozoa, are a significant source of human immunodeficiency virus in semen.J Infect Dis. 1997;176: 960–968. CrossRef
- Zhang H, Dornadula G, Beumont M, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in the semen of men receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy.N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1803–1809. CrossRef
- Uckun FM, D’Cruz OJ. Prophylactic contraceptives for HIV/AIDS.Hum Reprod Update. 1999;5:506–514. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Uckun FM. Clinical development of microbicides for the prevention of HIV infection.Curr Pharm Des. 2004;10: 315–336. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Uckun FM. Dawn of non-nucleoside inhibitor-based anti-HIV microbicides.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006;57:411–423. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Venkatachalam T, Zhu Z, Shih M, Uckun FM. Aryl phosphate derivatives of bromo-methoxy-azidothymidine are dual-function spermicides with potent anti-HIV activity.Biol Reprod. 1998;59:503–515. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Shih M-J, Yiv SH, Chen CL, Uckun FM. Synthesis, characterization and preclinical formulation of a dual-action phenyl phosphate derivative of bromo-methoxy zidovudine (compound WHI-07) with potent anti-HIV and spermicidal activities.Mol Hum Reprod. 1999;5:421–432. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Venkatachalam TK, Uckun FM. Structural requirements for potent human spermicidal activity of dual-function aryl phosphate derivative of bromo-methoxy zidovudine (WHI-07).Biol Reprod. 2000;62:37–44. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Uckun FM. Contraceptive activity of a spermicidal aryl phosphate derivative of bromo-methoxy-zidovudine (compound WHI-07) in rabbits.Fertil Steril. 2003;79:864–872. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Waurzyniak W, Uckun FM. Antiretroviral spermicide WHI-07 prevents vaginal and rectal transmission of feline immunodeficiency virus in domestic cats.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004;48: 1082–1088. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Venkatachalam TK, Uckun FM. Thymidine kinase-independent intracellular delivery of bioactive nucleotides by aryl phosphate derivatives of bromo-methoxy zidovudine (WHI-05 and WHI-07) in normal human female genital tract epithelial cells and sperm.Biol Reprod. 2001;64:51–59. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Uckun FM. Pre-clinical safety evaluation of novel nucleoside analogue-based dual-function microbicides (WHI-05 and WHI-07.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2002;50:793–803. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Uckun FM. Preclinical Overview of WHI-07, a Novel Nucleoside Analog-based Dual-function Microbicide.Curr Med Chem—Anticancer Agents. 2004;3:15–29. CrossRef
- Uckun FM, Tai D’Cruz OJ. Antileukemic activity and cellular metabolism of the aryl phosphate derivative of bromo-methoxy zidovudine (WHI-07).Arzneimittelforschung. 2005;55:50–65.
- Gasco MR, Gallarate M, Trotta M, Bauchiero L, Gremmo E, Chiappero O. Microemulsions as topical delivery vehicles: ocular administration of timolol.J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1989;7:433–439. CrossRef
- Osborne DW, Ward AJ, O’Neill KJ. Microemulsions as topical drug delivery vehicles: in-vitro transdermal studies of a model hydrophilic drug.J Pharm Pharmacol. 1991;43:450–454.
- Lawrence MJ, Rees GD. Microemulsion-based media as novel drug delivery systems.Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2000;45:89–121. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Waurzyniak B, Yiv SH, Uckun FM. Evaluation of subchronic (13-week) and reproductive toxicity potential of intravaginal gel-microemulsion formulation of a dual-function phenyl phosphate derivative of bromo-methoxy zidovudine (WHI-07) in B6C3F1 mice.J Appl Toxicol. 2000;20:319–325. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Uckun FM. Lack of adverse effects on fertility of female CD-1 mice exposed to repetitive intravaginal gel-microemulsion formulation of a dual-function anti-HIV agent: aryl phosphate derivative of bromo-methoxy-zidovudine (compound WHI-07).J Appl Toxicol. 2001;21:317–322. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Uckun FM. Short-term (13-week) toxicity study of 5-bromo-6-methoxy-5,6-dihydro-3′-azidothymidine-5′-(p-bromophenyl) methoxyalaninyl phosphate (WHI-07), a novel anti-HIV and contraceptive agent, in B6C3F1 mice.Toxicol Sci. 2001;60:373–378. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Uckun FM. Gel-microemulsions as vaginal spermicides and intravaginal drug delivery vehicles.Contraception. 2001;64: 113–123. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Erbeck D, Waurzyniak W, Uckun FM. Two-year toxicity and carcinogenicity studies in B6C3F1 mice with 5-bromo-6-methoxy-5, 6-dihydro-3′-azidothymidine-5′-(p-bromophenyl) methoxy alaninyl phosphate (WHI-07), a novel anti-HIV and contraceptive agent.Toxicology. 2002;179:61–67. CrossRef
- D’Cruz OJ, Erbeck D, Uckun FM. Developmental toxicology studies of WHI-07, a novel nucleoside analogue-based dual-function microbicide, administered intravaginally to rabbits.Toxicol Pathol. 2003;31:698–708.
- D’Cruz OJ, Erbeck D, Uckun FM. A study of the potential of the pig as a model for the vaginal irritancy of benzalkonium chloride in comparison to the nonirritant microbicide PHI-443 and the spermicide vanadocene dithiocarbamate.Toxicol Pathol. 2005;33:465–476. CrossRef
- Eccleston GM. Microemulsion. In: Swarbrick J, Boylan JC, eds.Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker; 1992:375–421.
- Tenjarla S. Microemulsions: an overview and pharmaceutical applications.Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst. 1999;16:461–521.
- Influence of long-term stability conditions on microbicidal nucleoside prodrug (WHI-07)-loaded gel-microemulsion
Volume 7, Issue 3 , pp E135-E142
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors