Use of FT-NIR transmission spectroscopy for the quantitative analysis of an active ingredient in a translucent pharmaceutical topical gel formulation
The objective of this study was to demonstrate the use of transmission Fourier transform near-infrared (FT-NIR) spectroscopy for quantitative analysis of an active ingredient in a translucent gel formulation. Gels were prepared using Carbopol 980 with 0%, 1%, 2%, 4%, 6%, and 8% ketoprofen and analyzed with an FT-NIR spectrophotometer operated in the transmission mode. The correlation coefficient of the calibration was 0.9996, and the root mean squared error of calibration was 0.0775%. The percent relative standard deviation for multiple measurements was 0.10%. The results prove that FT-NIR can be a good alternative to other, more time-consuming means of analysis for these types of formulations.
- Drennen JK, Kramer EG, Lodder RA. Advances and perspectives in near-infrared spectrophotometry. Crit Rev Anal Chem. 1991;22(6):443–475. CrossRef
- Plugge W, van der Vlies C. The use of near-infrared spectroscopy in the quality control laboratory of the pharmacentical industry. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1992;10(10–12):797–803. CrossRef
- Plugge W, van der Vlies C. Near-infrared spectroscopy as an alternative to assess compliance of ampicillin trihydrate with compendial specifications. J. Pharm Biomed Anal. 1993;11(6):435–442. CrossRef
- Gerhausser PCI, Kovar KA. Strategies for constructing near-infrared spectral libraries for the identification of drug substances. Appl Spectrosc. 1997;51(10):1504–1510. CrossRef
- Derksen MWJ, van de Oetelaar PJM, Maris FA. The use of near-infrared spectroscopy in the efficient prediction of a specification for the residual moisture content of a freeze-dried product. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1998;17:473–480. CrossRef
- Moretti MD, Gavini E, Peana AT. In vitro release and antiinflammatory activity of topical formulations of ketoprofen. Boll Chim Farm. 2000;139(2):67–72.
- Gurol Z, Hekimoglu S, Demirdamar R, Sumnu M. Percutaneous absorption of ketoprofen I. In vitro release and percutaneous absorption of ketoprofen from different ointment bases. Pharm Acta Helv. 1996;71(3):205–212. CrossRef
- Norris KH, Williams PC. Optimization of mathematical treatments of raw near-infrared signal in the measurement of protein in hard red spring wheat: I. Influence of particle size. Cereal Chem. 1984;61:158–165.
- Savitzky A, Golay MJE. Smoothing and differentiation of data by simplified least squares procedures. Anal. Chem. 1964;36:1627–1639. CrossRef
- Use of FT-NIR transmission spectroscopy for the quantitative analysis of an active ingredient in a translucent pharmaceutical topical gel formulation
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 81-85
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Transmission Spectroscopy
- Topical Formulations
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Thermo Nicolet Corporation, 53711, Madison, WI
- 2. Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tennessee, College of Pharmacy, 38163, Memphis, TN