External validity: We need to do more
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We thank Dr. Bonnie Spring for her helpful comments and feedback on earlier versions of this editorial.
- Zerhouni EA: Translational and clinical science—time for a new vision.New England Journal of Medicine. 2005,353:1621–1623. CrossRef
- Institute of Medicine, Committee on Quality of Health Care in America:Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2001.
- McGlynn EA, Asch SM, Adams J, et al.: The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States.The New England Journal of Medicine. 2003,348:2635–2645. CrossRef
- Kerner J, Rimer B, Emmons K: Introduction to the special section on dissemination: Dissemination research and research dissemination: How can we close the gap?Health Psychology. 2005,24:443–446. CrossRef
- Whitlock EP, Orleans CT, Pender N, Allan J: Evaluating primary care behavioral counseling interventions: An evidence-based approach.American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2002,22:267–284. CrossRef
- Moher D, Schulz KF, Altman DG, for the CONSORT Group: The CONSORT statement: Revised recommendations for improving the quality of reports.The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2001,285:1987–1991. CrossRef
- Des Jarlais DC, Lyles C, Crepaz N, TREND Group: Improving the reporting quality of nonrandomized evaluations of behavioral and public health interventions: The TREND statement.American Journal of Public Health. 2004,94:361–366.
- Jadad AR, Moore RA, Carroll D, et al.: Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: Is blinding necessary?Controlled Clinical Trials. 1996,17:1–12. CrossRef
- Spring B, Pagoto S, Knatterud G, Kozak A, Hedeker D:Will Behavioral Medicine Randomized Clinical Trials (RCTs) Earn an A? Boston: Annual Meeting of the Society for Behavioral Medicine, 2005.
- Glasgow RE, Lichtenstein E, Marcus AC: Why don’t we see more translation of health promotion research to practice? Rethinking the efficacy to effectiveness transition.American Journal of Public Health. 2003,93:1261–1267.
- Glasgow RE, Klesges LM, Dzewaltowski DA, Bull SS, Estabrooks P: The future of health behavior change research: What is needed to improve translation of research into health promotion practice?Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2004,27:3–12. CrossRef
- Tunis SR, Stryer DB, Clancey CM: Practical clinical trials. Increasing the value of clinical research for decision making in clinical and health policy.The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2003,290:1624–1632. CrossRef
- Glasgow RE, Davidson KW, Dobkin PL, Ockene J, Spring B: Practical behavioral trials to advance evidence-based behavioral medicine.Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2006,31: 5–13. CrossRef
- Kiefer L, Frank J, Ruggiero ED, et al.: Fostering evidence-based decision-making in Canada: Examining the need for a Canadian Population and Public Health Evidence Centre and Research Network.Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2005,96(3):11–40 following 200.
- Green LW, Glasgow RE: Evaluating the relevance, generalization, and applicability of research: Issues in external validity and translation methodology.Evaluation and the Health Professions (in press).
- Abrams DB, Orleans CT, Niaura RS, et al.: Integrating individual and public health perspectives for treatment of tobacco dependence under managed health care: A combined stepped care and matching model.Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 1996,18:290–304. CrossRef
- Flay BR: Efficacy and effectiveness trials (and other phases of research) in the development of health promotion programs.Preventive Medicine. 1986,15:451–474. CrossRef
- Klesges LM, Estabrooks PA, Glasgow RE, Dzewaltowski D: Beginning with the application in mind: Designing and planning health behavior change interventions to enhance dissemination [abstract].Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2005,29(Suppl.):66S-75S. CrossRef
- Sackett DL, Straus SE, Richardson WS, Rosenberg W, Haynes R:Evidence-Based Medicine: How to Practice and Teach EBM (2nd Ed.). Edinburgh, Scotland: Churchill Livingstone, 2000.
- Klesges LM, Dzewaltowski DA, Christensen AJ: Are we creating relevant behavioral medicine research? Show me the evidence!Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2006,31:3–4. CrossRef
- Green LW, Ottosen JM: From efficacy to effectiveness to community and back: Evidence-based practice vs. practice-based evidence.Proceedings from Conference: From Clinical Trials to Community: The Science of Translating Diabetes and Obesity Research. National Institutes of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 2004.
- External validity: We need to do more
Annals of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 31, Issue 2 , pp 105-108
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Kaiser Permanente Colorado, USA
- 3. University of California at San Francisco, USA
- 4. Mayo Clinic, USA
- 5. NIH, Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, USA
- 6. University of North Carolina, USA
- 7. Institute for Healthcare Communication, USA
- 8. New York University, USA
- 9. University of Massachusetts, USA
- 10. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, USA