Key Sectors of the Namibian Economy
- Michael N HumavinduAffiliated withNamibian Competition CommissionDepartment of Economics, Umeå University
- , Jesper StageAffiliated withDepartment of Social Sciences, Mid Sweden University Email author
The present paper presents key sector research for the Namibian economy, based on input–output and Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) analyzes. The analyses were derived from a Namibian SAM for the 2004 period, using 28 economic sectors. We find that mining and government services are currently key sectors. Some manufacturing and services sectors have important linkages in terms of output effects, whilst for employment and income effects, the agriculture sector is paramount. The results obtained are useful for policy purposes in terms of identifying those sectors where interventions are likely to have the greatest impact on the Namibian economy.
JEL Classification:C67, L16, O21, O55.
- Key Sectors of the Namibian Economy
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Economic Structures
- Online Date
- January 2013
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links