Controversies in HIV cure research
Antiretroviral therapy significantly reduces HIV viral burden and prolongs life, but does not cure HIV infection. The major scientific barrier to a cure is thought to be the persistence of the virus in cellular and/or anatomical reservoirs.
Most efforts to date, including pharmaco, immuno or gene therapy, have failed to cure patients, with the notable exception of a stem cell transplant recipient commonly known as the Berlin patient. This case has revived interest in the potential to cure HIV infection and has highlighted the need to resolve critical questions in the basic, pre-clinical and clinical research spheres as they pertain specifically to efforts to eradicate HIV from the body of an infected person (a sterilizing cure) or at least render the need for lifelong antiretroviral therapy obsolete (functional cure). This paper describes ongoing debates in each of these research spheres as they were presented and discussed at a satellite session that took place at the 6th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention in Rome in July 2011.
The resolution of these debates may have important implications for the search for a cure, the most efficient ways to identify and test promising interventions, and ultimately the availability of such a cure to diverse groups of HIV patients around the world.
- Ho, DD (1995) Time to hit HIV, early and hard. N Engl J Med 333: pp. 450-451 CrossRef
- Finzi, D, Hermankova, M, Pierson, T, Carruth, LM, Buck, C, Chaisson, RE, Quinn, TC, Chadwick, K, Margolick, J, Brookmeyer, R, Gallant, J, Markowitz, M, Ho, DD, Richman, DD, Siliciano, RF (1997) Identification of a reservoir for HIV-1 in patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy. Science 278: pp. 1295-1300 CrossRef
- Wong, JK, Hezareh, M, Günthard, HF, Havlir, DV, Ignacio, CC, Spina, CA, Richman, DD (1997) Recovery of replication-competent HIV despite prolonged suppression of plasma viremia. Science 278: pp. 1291-1295 CrossRef
- Chun, TW, Stuyver, L, Mizell, SB, Ehler, LA, Mican, JA, Baseler, M, Lloyd, AL, Nowak, MA, Fauci, AS (1997) Presence of an inducible HIV-1 latent reservoir during highly active antiretroviral therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci 94: pp. 13193-13197 CrossRef
- Siliciano, JD, Kajdas, J, Finzi, D, Quinn, TC, Chadwick, K, Margolick, JB, Kovacs, C, Gange, SJ, Siliciano, RF (2003) Long-term follow-up studies confirm the stability of the latent reservoir for HIV-1 in resting CD4+ T cells. Nat Med 9: pp. 727-728 CrossRef
- Davey, RT, Bhat, N, Yoder, C, Chun, TW, Metcalf, JA, Dewar, R, Natarajan, V, Lempicki, RA, Adelsberger, JW, Miller, KD, Kovacs, JA, Polis, MA, Walker, RE, Falloon, J, Masur, H, Gee, D, Baseler, M, Dimitrov, DS, Fauci, AS, Lane, HC (1999) HIV-1 and T cell dynamics after interruption of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in patients with a history of sustained viral suppression. Proc Natl Acad Sci 96: pp. 15109-15114 CrossRef
- Trono, D, Van Lint, C, Rouzioux, C, Verdin, E, Barré-Sinoussi, F, Chun, T-W, Chomont, N (2010) Long-Term Drug-Free Remissions for HIV-Infected Individuals. Science 329: pp. 174-180 CrossRef
- Saez-Cirion, A, Hocqueloux, L, Avettand-Fenoel, V, Goujard, C, Prazuck, T, Viard, J-P, Tibaoui, F, Venet, A, Pancino, G, Rouzioux, C (2011) Long-term HIV-1 Control after Interruption of a Treatment Initiated at the Time of Primary Infection is Associated to Low Cell-associated HIV DNA Levels: ANRS VISCONTI Study.
- Deeks, SG (2011) HIV: How to escape treatment. Nature 477: pp. 36-37 CrossRef
- Denton, PW, García, JV (2011) Humanized Mouse Models of HIV Infection. AIDS Rev 13: pp. 135-148
- Brenchley, JM, Paiardini, M (2011) Immunodeficiency lentiviral infections in natural and non-natural hosts. Blood 118: pp. 847-854 CrossRef
- Hütter, G, Nowak, D, Mossner, M, Ganepola, S, Müssig, A, Allers, K, Schneider, T, Hofmann, J, Kücherer, C, Blau, O, Blau, IW, Hofmann, WK, Thiel, E (2009) Long-term control of HIV by CCR5 Delta32/Delta32 stem-cell transplantation. N Engl J Med 360: pp. 692-698 CrossRef
- Hogg, R, Lima, V, Sterne, JA, Grabar, S, Battegay, M, Bonarek, M, D'Arminio Monforte, A, Esteve, A, Gill, MJ, Harris, R, Justice, A, Hayden, A, Lampe, F, Mocroft, A, Mugavero, MJ, Staszewski, S, Wasmuth, JC, van Sighem, A, Kitahata, M, Guest, J, Egger, M, May, M (2008) Life expectancy of individuals on combination antiretroviral therapy in high-income countries: a collaborative analysis of 14 cohort studies. Lancet 9635: pp. 293-299
- [http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/AdultandAdolescentGL.pdf] Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in HIV-1-Infected Adults and Adolescents. DHHS Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents - A Working Group of the Office of AIDS Research Advisory Council (OARAC).
- Sigal, A, Kim, JT, Balazs, AB, Dekel, E, Mayo, A, Milo, R, Baltimore, D (2011) Cell-to-cell spread of HIV permits ongoing replication despite antiretroviral therapy. Nature 477: pp. 95-98 CrossRef
- Dinoso, JB, Kim, SY, Wiegand, AM, Palmer, SE, Gange, SJ, Cranmer, L, O'Shea, A, Callender, M, Spivak, A, Brennan, T, Kearney, MF, Proschan, MA, Mican, JM, Rehm, CA, Coffin, JM, Mellors, JW, Siliciano, RF, Maldarelli, F (2009) Treatment intensification does not reduce residual HIV-1 viremia in patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci 106: pp. 9403-9408 CrossRef
- McMahon, D, Jones, J, Wiegand, A, Gange, SJ, Kearney, M, Palmer, S, McNulty, S, Metcalf, JA, Acosta, E, Rehm, C, Coffin, JM, Mellors, JW, Maldarelli, F (2010) Short-course raltegravir intensification does not reduce persistent low-level viremia in patients with HIV-1 suppression during receipt of combination antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis 50: pp. 912-919 CrossRef
- Buzón, MJ, Massanella, M, Llibre, JM, Esteve, A, Dahl, V, Puertas, MC, Gatell, JM, Domingo, P, Paredes, R, Sharkey, M, Palmer, S, Stevenson, M, Clotet, B, Blanco, J, Martinez-Picado, J (2010) HIV-1 replication and immune dynamics are affected by raltegravir intensification of HAART-suppressed subjects. Nat Med 16: pp. 460-465 CrossRef
- Yukl, SA, Shergill, AK, McQuaid, K, Gianella, S, Lampiris, H, Hare, CB, Pandori, M, Sinclair, E, Günthard, HF, Fischer, M, Wong, JK, Havlir, DV (2010) Effect of raltegravir-containing intensification on HIV burden and T-cell activation in multiple gut sites of HIV-positive adults on suppressive antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 24: pp. 2451-2460 CrossRef
- Gandhi RT, Zheng L, Bosch RJ, Chan ES, Margolis DM, Read S, Kallungal B, Palmer S, Medvik K, Lederman MM, Alatrakchi N, Jacobson JM, Wiegand A, Kearney M, Coffin JM, Mellors JW, Eron JJ: AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5244 team: The effect of raltegravir intensification on low-level residual viremia in HIV-infected patients on antiretroviral therapy: a randomized controlled trial. PLoS Med 2010.,7(8): pii: e1000321
- Gandhi, RT, Bosch, RJ, Aga, E, Albrecht, M, Demeter, LM, Dykes, C, Bastow, B, Para, M, Lai, J, Siliciano, RF, Siliciano, JD, Eron, JJ (2010) No evidence for decay of the latent reservoir in HIV-1-infected patients receiving intensive enfuvirtide-containing antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis 201: pp. 293-296 CrossRef
- Yilmaz, A, Verhofstede, C, Davolio, A, Watson, V, Hagberg, L, Fuchs, D, Svennerholm, B, Gisslén, M (2010) Treatment Intensification Has no Effect on the HIV-1 Central Nervous System Infection in Patients on Suppressive Antiretroviral Therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 16: pp. 16
- Preston, BD, Poiesz, BJ, Loeb, LA (1988) Fidelity of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase. Science 242: pp. 1168-1171 CrossRef
- Bailey, JR, Sedaghat, AR, Kieffer, T, Brennan, T, Lee, PK, Wind-Rotolo, M, Haggerty, CM, Kamireddi, AR, Liu, Y, Lee, J, Persaud, D, Gallant, JE, Cofrancesco, J, Quinn, TC, Wilke, CO, Ray, SC, Siliciano, JD, Nettles, RE, Siliciano, RF (2006) Residual human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viremia in some patients on antiretroviral therapy is dominated by a small number of invariant clones rarely found in circulating CD4+ T cells. J Virol 80: pp. 6441-6457 CrossRef
- Brennan, TP, Woods, JO, Sedaghat, AR, Siliciano, JD, Siliciano, RF, Wilke, CO (2009) Analysis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viremia and provirus in resting CD4+ T cells reveals a novel source of residual viremia in patients on antiretroviral therapy. J Virol 83: pp. 8470-8481 CrossRef
- Contreras-Galindo, R, Kaplan, MH, Markovitz, DM, Lorenzo, E, Yamamura, Y (2006) Detection of HERV-K(HML-2) viral RNA in plasma of HIV type 1-infected individuals. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22: pp. 979-984 CrossRef
- Di Mascio, M, Srinivasula, S, Bhattacharjee, A, Cheng, L, Martiniova, L, Herscovitch, P, Lertora, J, Kiesewetter, D (2009) Antiretroviral tissue kinetics: in vivo imaging using positron emission tomography. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53: pp. 4086-4095 CrossRef
- Schacker T, Stevenson M, Fletcher C: Anatomic HIV reservoirs. Fifth International Workshop on HIV Persistence During Therapy [Abstract #35]
- Marra, CM, Zhao, Y, Clifford, DB, Letendre, S, Evans, S, Henry, K, Ellis, RJ, Rodriguez, B, Coombs, RW, Schifitto, G, McArthur, JC, Robertson, K (2009) Impact of combination antiretroviral therapy on cerebrospinal fluid HIV RNA and neurocognitive performance. AIDS 23: pp. 1359-1366 CrossRef
- Buzón, MJ, Codoñer, FM, Frost, SD, Pou, C, Puertas, MC, Massanella, M, Dalmau, J, Llibre, JM, Stevenson, M, Blanco, J, Clotet, B, Paredes, R, Martinez-Picado, J (2011) Deep molecular characterization of HIV-1 dynamics under suppressive HAART. PLoS Pathog 7: pp. e1002314 CrossRef
- Llibre, JM, Buzón, MJ, Massanella, M, Esteve, A, Dahl, V, Puertas, MC, Domingo, P, Gatell, JM, Larrouse, M, Gutierrez, M, Palmer, S, Stevenson, M, Blanco, J, Martinez-Picado, J, Clotet, B (2011) Treatment intensification with raltegravir in subjects with sustained HIV-1 viraemia suppression: a randomized 48-week study. Antivir Ther.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration [http://www.fda.gov/]
- European Commission [http://ec.europa.eu/]
- Kearney, M, Spindler, J, Shao, W, Maldarelli, F, Palmer, S, Hu, SL, Lifson, JD, KewalRamani, VN, Mellors, JW, Coffin, JM, Ambrose, Z (2011) Genetic diversity of simian immunodeficiency virus encoding HIV-1 reverse transcriptase persists in macaques despite antiretroviral therapy. J Virol 85: pp. 1067-1076 CrossRef
- Boasso, A, Vaccari, M, Fuchs, D, Hardy, AW, Tsai, WP, Tryniszewska, E, Shearer, GM, Franchini, G (2009) Combined effect of antiretroviral therapy and blockade of IDO in SIV-infected rhesus macaques. J Immunol 182: pp. 4313-4320 CrossRef
- Suntharalingam, G, Perry, MR, Ward, S, Brett, SJ, Castello-Cortes, A, Brunner, MD, Panoskaltsis, N (2006) Cytokine storm in a phase 1 trial of the anti-CD28 monoclonal antibody TGN1412. N Engl J Med 355: pp. 1018-1028 CrossRef
- Johnston R: [http://www.amfar.org/lab/article.aspx?id=9798] As Cure Search Intensifies, Questions Arise.
- Lakhashe, SK, Silvestri, G, Ruprecht, RM (2011) No acquisition: A new ambition for HIV vaccine development?. Current Opinion in Virology.
- Choudhary, SK, Margolis, DM (2011) Curing HIV: Pharmacologic approaches to target HIV-1 latency. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 51: pp. 397-418 CrossRef
- Lalezari J, Mitsuyasu R, Deeks S, Wang S, Lee G, Holmes M, Gregory P, Giedlin M, Tang W, Ando D: Successful and Persistent Engraftment of ZFN-M-R5-D Autologous CD4 T Cells (SB-728-T) in Aviremic HIV-infected Subjects on HAART. 18 thConference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections [Abstract #46] 18 th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections [Abstract #46]
- Tebas P, Levine B, Binder G, Hoxie J, Collman R, Gregory P, Holmes M, Ando D, June C: Disruption of CCR5 in Zinc Finger Nuclease-treated CD4 T Cells: Phase I Trials. 18 th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections [Abstract #165] 18 th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections [Abstract #165]
- Edelstein, ML, Abedi, MR, Wixon, J (2007) Gene therapy clinical trials worldwide to 2007-an update. J Gene Med 9: pp. 833-842 CrossRef
- Liu, R, Paxton, WA, Choe, S, Ceradini, D, Martin, SR, Horuk, R, MacDonald, ME, Stuhlmann, H, Koup, RA, Landau, NR (1996) Homozygous defect in HIV-1 coreceptor accounts for resistance of some multiply-exposed individuals to HIV-1 infection. Cell 86: pp. 367-377 CrossRef
- Scherer, LJ, Rossi, JJ (2011) Ex vivo gene therapy for HIV-1 treatment. Hum Mol Genet 20: pp. R100-R107 CrossRef
- Gabriel, R, Lombardo, A, Arens, A, Miller, JC, Genovese, P, Kaeppel, C, Nowrouzi, A, Bartholomae, CC, Wang, J, Friedman, G, Holmes, MC, Gregory, PD, Glimm, H, Schmidt, M, Naldini, L, von Kalle, C (2011) An unbiased genome-wide analysis of zinc-finger nuclease specificity. Nat Biotechnol 29: pp. 816-823 CrossRef
- Dieffenbach, CW, Fauci, AS (2011) Thirty years of HIV and AIDS: future challenges and opportunities. Ann Intern Med 154: pp. 766-771
- Controversies in HIV cure research
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of the International AIDS Society
- Online Date
- March 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links