Controversies in HIV cure research
Antiretroviral therapy significantly reduces HIV viral burden and prolongs life, but does not cure HIV infection. The major scientific barrier to a cure is thought to be the persistence of the virus in cellular and/or anatomical reservoirs.
Most efforts to date, including pharmaco, immuno or gene therapy, have failed to cure patients, with the notable exception of a stem cell transplant recipient commonly known as the Berlin patient. This case has revived interest in the potential to cure HIV infection and has highlighted the need to resolve critical questions in the basic, pre-clinical and clinical research spheres as they pertain specifically to efforts to eradicate HIV from the body of an infected person (a sterilizing cure) or at least render the need for lifelong antiretroviral therapy obsolete (functional cure). This paper describes ongoing debates in each of these research spheres as they were presented and discussed at a satellite session that took place at the 6th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention in Rome in July 2011.
The resolution of these debates may have important implications for the search for a cure, the most efficient ways to identify and test promising interventions, and ultimately the availability of such a cure to diverse groups of HIV patients around the world.
- Ho DD: Time to hit HIV, early and hard. N Engl J Med 1995,333(7):450–451. CrossRef
- Finzi D, Hermankova M, Pierson T, Carruth LM, Buck C, Chaisson RE, Quinn TC, Chadwick K, Margolick J, Brookmeyer R, Gallant J, Markowitz M, Ho DD, Richman DD, Siliciano RF: Identification of a reservoir for HIV-1 in patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy. Science 1997,278(5341):1295–1300. CrossRef
- Wong JK, Hezareh M, Günthard HF, Havlir DV, Ignacio CC, Spina CA, Richman DD: Recovery of replication-competent HIV despite prolonged suppression of plasma viremia. Science 1997,278(5341):1291–1295. CrossRef
- Chun TW, Stuyver L, Mizell SB, Ehler LA, Mican JA, Baseler M, Lloyd AL, Nowak MA, Fauci AS: Presence of an inducible HIV-1 latent reservoir during highly active antiretroviral therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1997,94(24):13193–13197. CrossRef
- Siliciano JD, Kajdas J, Finzi D, Quinn TC, Chadwick K, Margolick JB, Kovacs C, Gange SJ, Siliciano RF: Long-term follow-up studies confirm the stability of the latent reservoir for HIV-1 in resting CD4+ T cells. Nat Med 2003,9(6):727–728. CrossRef
- Davey RT Jr, Bhat N, Yoder C, Chun TW, Metcalf JA, Dewar R, Natarajan V, Lempicki RA, Adelsberger JW, Miller KD, Kovacs JA, Polis MA, Walker RE, Falloon J, Masur H, Gee D, Baseler M, Dimitrov DS, Fauci AS, Lane HC: HIV-1 and T cell dynamics after interruption of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in patients with a history of sustained viral suppression. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1999,96(26):15109–15114. CrossRef
- Trono D, Van Lint C, Rouzioux C, Verdin E, Barré-Sinoussi F, Chun T-W, Chomont N: Long-Term Drug-Free Remissions for HIV-Infected Individuals. Science 2010, 329:174–180. CrossRef
- Saez-Cirion A, Hocqueloux L, Avettand-Fenoel V, Goujard C, Prazuck T, Viard J-P, Tibaoui F, Venet A, Pancino G, Rouzioux C, ANRS Visconti Study Group: Long-term HIV-1 Control after Interruption of a Treatment Initiated at the Time of Primary Infection is Associated to Low Cell-associated HIV DNA Levels: ANRS VISCONTI Study. 2011. 18thConference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections [Abstract #515]
- Deeks SG: HIV: How to escape treatment. Nature 2011, 477:36–37. CrossRef
- Denton PW, García JV: Humanized Mouse Models of HIV Infection. AIDS Rev 2011,13(3):135–148.
- Brenchley JM, Paiardini M: Immunodeficiency lentiviral infections in natural and non-natural hosts. Blood 2011,118(4):847–854. CrossRef
- Hütter G, Nowak D, Mossner M, Ganepola S, Müssig A, Allers K, Schneider T, Hofmann J, Kücherer C, Blau O, Blau IW, Hofmann WK, Thiel E: Long-term control of HIV by CCR5 Delta32/Delta32 stem-cell transplantation. N Engl J Med 2009,360(7):692–698. CrossRef
- Hogg R, Lima V, Sterne JA, Grabar S, Battegay M, Bonarek M, D'Arminio Monforte A, Esteve A, Gill MJ, Harris R, Justice A, Hayden A, Lampe F, Mocroft A, Mugavero MJ, Staszewski S, Wasmuth JC, van Sighem A, Kitahata M, Guest J, Egger M, May M: Life expectancy of individuals on combination antiretroviral therapy in high-income countries: a collaborative analysis of 14 cohort studies. Lancet 2008, 9635:293–299.
- [http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/AdultandAdolescentGL.pdf] Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in HIV-1-Infected Adults and Adolescents. DHHS Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents - A Working Group of the Office of AIDS Research Advisory Council (OARAC).
- Sigal A, Kim JT, Balazs AB, Dekel E, Mayo A, Milo R, Baltimore D: Cell-to-cell spread of HIV permits ongoing replication despite antiretroviral therapy. Nature 2011,477(7362):95–98. CrossRef
- Dinoso JB, Kim SY, Wiegand AM, Palmer SE, Gange SJ, Cranmer L, O'Shea A, Callender M, Spivak A, Brennan T, Kearney MF, Proschan MA, Mican JM, Rehm CA, Coffin JM, Mellors JW, Siliciano RF, Maldarelli F: Treatment intensification does not reduce residual HIV-1 viremia in patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2009,106(23):9403–9408. CrossRef
- McMahon D, Jones J, Wiegand A, Gange SJ, Kearney M, Palmer S, McNulty S, Metcalf JA, Acosta E, Rehm C, Coffin JM, Mellors JW, Maldarelli F: Short-course raltegravir intensification does not reduce persistent low-level viremia in patients with HIV-1 suppression during receipt of combination antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis 2010,50(6):912–919. CrossRef
- Buzón MJ, Massanella M, Llibre JM, Esteve A, Dahl V, Puertas MC, Gatell JM, Domingo P, Paredes R, Sharkey M, Palmer S, Stevenson M, Clotet B, Blanco J, Martinez-Picado J: HIV-1 replication and immune dynamics are affected by raltegravir intensification of HAART-suppressed subjects. Nat Med 2010,16(4):460–465. CrossRef
- Yukl SA, Shergill AK, McQuaid K, Gianella S, Lampiris H, Hare CB, Pandori M, Sinclair E, Günthard HF, Fischer M, Wong JK, Havlir DV: Effect of raltegravir-containing intensification on HIV burden and T-cell activation in multiple gut sites of HIV-positive adults on suppressive antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 2010,24(16):2451–2460. CrossRef
- Gandhi RT, Zheng L, Bosch RJ, Chan ES, Margolis DM, Read S, Kallungal B, Palmer S, Medvik K, Lederman MM, Alatrakchi N, Jacobson JM, Wiegand A, Kearney M, Coffin JM, Mellors JW, Eron JJ: AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5244 team: The effect of raltegravir intensification on low-level residual viremia in HIV-infected patients on antiretroviral therapy: a randomized controlled trial. PLoS Med 2010.,7(8): pii: e1000321
- Gandhi RT, Bosch RJ, Aga E, Albrecht M, Demeter LM, Dykes C, Bastow B, Para M, Lai J, Siliciano RF, Siliciano JD, Eron JJ, AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5173 Team: No evidence for decay of the latent reservoir in HIV-1-infected patients receiving intensive enfuvirtide-containing antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis 2010,201(2):293–296. CrossRef
- Yilmaz A, Verhofstede C, Davolio A, Watson V, Hagberg L, Fuchs D, Svennerholm B, Gisslén M: Treatment Intensification Has no Effect on the HIV-1 Central Nervous System Infection in Patients on Suppressive Antiretroviral Therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2010, 16:16.
- Preston BD, Poiesz BJ, Loeb LA: Fidelity of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase. Science 1988,242(4882):1168–1171. CrossRef
- Bailey JR, Sedaghat AR, Kieffer T, Brennan T, Lee PK, Wind-Rotolo M, Haggerty CM, Kamireddi AR, Liu Y, Lee J, Persaud D, Gallant JE, Cofrancesco J Jr, Quinn TC, Wilke CO, Ray SC, Siliciano JD, Nettles RE, Siliciano RF: Residual human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viremia in some patients on antiretroviral therapy is dominated by a small number of invariant clones rarely found in circulating CD4+ T cells. J Virol 2006,80(13):6441–6457. CrossRef
- Brennan TP, Woods JO, Sedaghat AR, Siliciano JD, Siliciano RF, Wilke CO: Analysis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viremia and provirus in resting CD4+ T cells reveals a novel source of residual viremia in patients on antiretroviral therapy. J Virol 2009,83(17):8470–8481. CrossRef
- Contreras-Galindo R, Kaplan MH, Markovitz DM, Lorenzo E, Yamamura Y: Detection of HERV-K(HML-2) viral RNA in plasma of HIV type 1-infected individuals. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2006,22(10):979–984. CrossRef
- Di Mascio M, Srinivasula S, Bhattacharjee A, Cheng L, Martiniova L, Herscovitch P, Lertora J, Kiesewetter D: Antiretroviral tissue kinetics: in vivo imaging using positron emission tomography. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2009,53(10):4086–4095. CrossRef
- Schacker T, Stevenson M, Fletcher C: Anatomic HIV reservoirs. Fifth International Workshop on HIV Persistence During Therapy [Abstract #35]
- Marra CM, Zhao Y, Clifford DB, Letendre S, Evans S, Henry K, Ellis RJ, Rodriguez B, Coombs RW, Schifitto G, McArthur JC, Robertson K, AIDS Clinical Trials Group 736 Study Team: Impact of combination antiretroviral therapy on cerebrospinal fluid HIV RNA and neurocognitive performance. AIDS 2009,23(11):1359–1366. CrossRef
- Buzón MJ, Codoñer FM, Frost SD, Pou C, Puertas MC, Massanella M, Dalmau J, Llibre JM, Stevenson M, Blanco J, Clotet B, Paredes R, Martinez-Picado J: Deep molecular characterization of HIV-1 dynamics under suppressive HAART. PLoS Pathog 2011,7(10):e1002314. CrossRef
- Llibre JM, Buzón MJ, Massanella M, Esteve A, Dahl V, Puertas MC, Domingo P, Gatell JM, Larrouse M, Gutierrez M, Palmer S, Stevenson M, Blanco J, Martinez-Picado J, Clotet B: Treatment intensification with raltegravir in subjects with sustained HIV-1 viraemia suppression: a randomized 48-week study. Antivir Ther 2011, in press.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration [http://www.fda.gov/]
- European Commission [http://ec.europa.eu/]
- Kearney M, Spindler J, Shao W, Maldarelli F, Palmer S, Hu SL, Lifson JD, KewalRamani VN, Mellors JW, Coffin JM, Ambrose Z: Genetic diversity of simian immunodeficiency virus encoding HIV-1 reverse transcriptase persists in macaques despite antiretroviral therapy. J Virol 2011,85(2):1067–1076. CrossRef
- Boasso A, Vaccari M, Fuchs D, Hardy AW, Tsai WP, Tryniszewska E, Shearer GM, Franchini G: Combined effect of antiretroviral therapy and blockade of IDO in SIV-infected rhesus macaques. J Immunol 2009,182(7):4313–4320. CrossRef
- Suntharalingam G, Perry MR, Ward S, Brett SJ, Castello-Cortes A, Brunner MD, Panoskaltsis N: Cytokine storm in a phase 1 trial of the anti-CD28 monoclonal antibody TGN1412. N Engl J Med 2006,355(10):1018–1028. CrossRef
- Johnston R: [http://www.amfar.org/lab/article.aspx?id=9798] As Cure Search Intensifies, Questions Arise.
- Lakhashe SK, Silvestri G, Ruprecht RM: No acquisition: A new ambition for HIV vaccine development? Current Opinion in Virology 2011, in press.
- Choudhary SK, Margolis DM: Curing HIV: Pharmacologic approaches to target HIV-1 latency. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 2011, 51:397–418. CrossRef
- Lalezari J, Mitsuyasu R, Deeks S, Wang S, Lee G, Holmes M, Gregory P, Giedlin M, Tang W, Ando D: Successful and Persistent Engraftment of ZFN-M-R5-D Autologous CD4 T Cells (SB-728-T) in Aviremic HIV-infected Subjects on HAART. 18 thConference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections [Abstract #46] 18 th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections [Abstract #46]
- Tebas P, Levine B, Binder G, Hoxie J, Collman R, Gregory P, Holmes M, Ando D, June C: Disruption of CCR5 in Zinc Finger Nuclease-treated CD4 T Cells: Phase I Trials. 18 th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections [Abstract #165] 18 th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections [Abstract #165]
- Edelstein ML, Abedi MR, Wixon J: Gene therapy clinical trials worldwide to 2007-an update. J Gene Med 2007,9(10):833–842. CrossRef
- Liu R, Paxton WA, Choe S, Ceradini D, Martin SR, Horuk R, MacDonald ME, Stuhlmann H, Koup RA, Landau NR: Homozygous defect in HIV-1 coreceptor accounts for resistance of some multiply-exposed individuals to HIV-1 infection. Cell 1996,86(3):367–377. CrossRef
- Scherer LJ, Rossi JJ: Ex vivo gene therapy for HIV-1 treatment. Hum Mol Genet 2011,20(R1):R100-R107. CrossRef
- Gabriel R, Lombardo A, Arens A, Miller JC, Genovese P, Kaeppel C, Nowrouzi A, Bartholomae CC, Wang J, Friedman G, Holmes MC, Gregory PD, Glimm H, Schmidt M, Naldini L, von Kalle C: An unbiased genome-wide analysis of zinc-finger nuclease specificity. Nat Biotechnol 2011,29(9):816–823. CrossRef
- Dieffenbach CW, Fauci AS: Thirty years of HIV and AIDS: future challenges and opportunities. Ann Intern Med 2011,154(11):766–771.
- Controversies in HIV cure research
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of the International AIDS Society
- Online Date
- March 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links