Principal components analysis based control of a multi-dof underactuated prosthetic hand
Functionality, controllability and cosmetics are the key issues to be addressed in order to accomplish a successful functional substitution of the human hand by means of a prosthesis. Not only the prosthesis should duplicate the human hand in shape, functionality, sensorization, perception and sense of body-belonging, but it should also be controlled as the natural one, in the most intuitive and undemanding way. At present, prosthetic hands are controlled by means of non-invasive interfaces based on electromyography (EMG). Driving a multi degrees of freedom (DoF) hand for achieving hand dexterity implies to selectively modulate many different EMG signals in order to make each joint move independently, and this could require significant cognitive effort to the user.
A Principal Components Analysis (PCA) based algorithm is used to drive a 16 DoFs underactuated prosthetic hand prototype (called CyberHand) with a two dimensional control input, in order to perform the three prehensile forms mostly used in Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). Such Principal Components set has been derived directly from the artificial hand by collecting its sensory data while performing 50 different grasps, and subsequently used for control.
Trials have shown that two independent input signals can be successfully used to control the posture of a real robotic hand and that correct grasps (in terms of involved fingers, stability and posture) may be achieved.
This work demonstrates the effectiveness of a bio-inspired system successfully conjugating the advantages of an underactuated, anthropomorphic hand with a PCA-based control strategy, and opens up promising possibilities for the development of an intuitively controllable hand prosthesis.
- Biagiotti, L, Lotti, F, Melchiorri, C, Vassura, G (2002) Design aspects for advanced robot hands. Tutorial: Towards intelligent robotic manipulation, IEEE Intl Conf on Intelligent Robots and Systems.
- Bicchi, A (2000) Hands for dexterous manipulation and robust grasping: a difficult road towards simplicity. IEEE Trans Rob Aut 16: pp. 652-662 CrossRef
- Carrozza, MC, Cappiello, G, Micera, S, Edin, BB, Beccai, L, Cipriani, C (2006) Design of a cybernetic hand for perception and action. Biol Cyb 95: pp. 629-644 CrossRef
- OttoBock HealthCare Duderstdat, DE [http://www.ottobock.com]
- Motion Control Inc Salt Lake City, UT [http://utaharm.com]
- Liberating Technologies Inc Holliston, MA [http://www.liberatingtech.com]
- Carrozza, MC, Massa, B, Micera, S, Lazzarini, R, Zecca, M, Dario, P (2002) The development of a novel prosthetic hand - ongoing research and preliminary results. IEEE/ASME Trans Mechatronics 7: pp. 108-114 CrossRef
- Zecca, M, Micera, S, Carrozza, MC, Dario, P (2002) Control of multifunctional prosthetic hands by processing the electromyographic signal. Crit Rev Biomed Eng 30: pp. 459-485 CrossRef
- Parker, P, Englehart, K, Hudgins, B (2006) Myoelectric signal processing for control of powered limb prostheses. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 16: pp. 541-548 CrossRef
- Kyberd, PJ, Holland, OE, Chappel, PH, Smith, S, Tregdigo, R, Bagwell, PJ, Snaith, M (1995) Marcus: a two degree of freedom hand prosthesis with hierarchical grip control. IEEE Trans Rehab Eng 3: pp. 70-76 CrossRef
- Touch EMAS Ltd Edinburgh, UK [http://www.touchbionics.com]
- Craelius, W (2002) The bionic man: restoring mobility. Science 295: pp. 1018-1021 CrossRef
- Light, CM, Chappell, PH (2002) Development of a lightweight and adaptable multiple-axis hand prosthesis. Med Eng Phys 22: pp. 679-684 CrossRef
- Massa, B, Roccella, S, Carrozza, MC, Dario, P (2002) Design and development of an underactuated prosthetic hand. Proc IEEE Intl Conf on Robotics and Automation 4: pp. 3374-3379
- Pons, JL, Rocon, E, Ceres, R, Reynaerts, D, Saro, B, Levin, S, Moorleghem, W (2004) The MANUS-HAND dexterous robotic upper limb prosthesis: mechanical and manipulation aspects. Autonomous Robots 16: pp. 143-163 CrossRef
- Shulz, S, Pylatiuk, C, Reischl, M, Martin, L, Mikut, R, Bretthauer, G (2005) A hydraulically driven multifunctional prosthetic hand. Robotica 23: pp. 293-299 CrossRef
- Cipriani, C, Controzzi, M, Carrozza, MC (2009) Objectives, criteria and methods for the design of the SmartHand transradial prosthesis. Robotica.
- Potratz, J, Yang, J, Abdel-Malek, K, Peña Pitarch, E, Grosland, N (2005) A light weight compliant hand mechanism with high degrees of freedom. ASME J Biomech Eng 127: pp. 934-945 CrossRef
- Nightingale, JM (1985) Microprocessor control of an artificial arm. Journal of Microcomputer Applications 8: pp. 167-173 CrossRef
- Tenore, VG, Ramos, A, Fahmy, A, Acharya, S, Etienne-Cummings, R, Thakor, NV (2009) Decoding of individuated finger movements using surface electromyography. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56: pp. 1427-1434 CrossRef
- Jiang, N, Englehart, KB, Parker, PA (2009) Extracting simultaneous and proportional neural control information for multiple-DOF prostheses from the surface electromyographic signal. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56: pp. 1070-1080 CrossRef
- Cipriani, C, Zaccone, F, Micera, S, Carrozza, MC (2008) On the shared control of an EMG-controlled prosthetic hand: analysis of user-prosthesis interaction. IEEE Trans Robotics 24: pp. 170-184 CrossRef
- Farry, KA, Walker, ID, Baraniuk, RG (1996) Myoelectric teleoperation of a complex robotic hand. IEEE Trans Rob Aut 12: pp. 775-788 CrossRef
- Macpherson, JM How flexible are muscle synergies?. In: Humphrey, DR, Freund, H-J eds. (1991) Motor control: concepts and issues. Wiley, Chichester, UK, pp. 33-47
- Torres Oviedo, G, Ting, LH (2007) Muscle synergies characterizing human postural responses. J Neurophysiol 98: pp. 2144-2156 CrossRef
- Santello, M, Flanders, M, Soechting, JF (1998) Postural hand synergies for tool use. J Neurosci 18: pp. 10105-10115
- Santello, M, Soechting, JF (1997) Matching object size by controlling finger span and hand shape. Somatosen Moto Res 14: pp. 203-212 CrossRef
- Mason, CR, Gomez, JE, Ebner, TJ (2001) Hand synergies during reach-to-grasp. J Neurophys 86: pp. 2896-2910
- Braido, P, Zhang, X (2004) Quantitative analysis of finger motion coordination in hand manipulative and gestic acts. Hum Mov Sci 22: pp. 661-678 CrossRef
- Todorov, E, Ghahramani, Z (2004) Analysis of the synergies underlying complex hand manipulation. Proc IEEE-EMBS Intl Conf. pp. 4637-4640
- Brown, CY, Asada, H (2007) Inter-finger coordination and postural synergies in robot hand via mechanical implementation of principal components analysis. Proc IEEE/RJS Intl Conf on Intelligent Robots and Systems. pp. 2877-2882
- Ciocarlie, MT, Clanton, ST, Spalding, MC, Allen, PK (2008) Biomimetic grasp planning for cortical control of a robotic hand. Proc IEEE/RJS Intl Conf on Intelligent Robots and Systems. pp. 2271-2276
- Ciocarlie, M, Goldfeder, C, Allen, P (2007) Dimensionality reduction for hand-independent dexterous robotic grasping. Proc IEEE/RJS Intl Conf on Intelligent Robots and Systems. pp. 3270-3275
- Ciocarlie, MT, Allen, PK (2009) Hand posture subspaces for dexterous robotic grasping. Int J Robot Res 28: pp. 851-867 CrossRef
- Tsoli, A, Jenkins, OC (2007) Robot grasping for prosthetic applications. Proc Intl Symposium of Robotic Research.
- Butterfass, J, Grebenstein, M, Liu, H, Hirzinger, G (2001) DLR-Hand II: next generation of a dextrous robot hand. Proc IEEE Intl Conf on Robotics and Automation. pp. 109-114
- Tsoli, A, Jenkins, OC (2007) 2D subspaces for user-driven robot grasping. Robotics, Science and Systems Conference: Workshop on Robot Manipulation.
- Rosell, J, Suárez, R, Rosales, C, García, JA, Pérez, A (2009) Motion planning for high dof anthropomorphic hands. Proc IEEE Intl Conf on Robotics and Automation. pp. 4025-4030
- "Schunk anthropomorphic hand" 2006. Schunk GmbH & Co. KG [http://www.schunk.com/]
- Magenes, G, Passaglia, F, Secco, EL (2008) A new approach of multi-d.o.f. prosthetic control. Proc IEEE-EMBS Intl Conf. pp. 3443-3446
- Matrone, G, Cipriani, C, Secco, EL, Carrozza, MC, Magenes, G (2009) Bio-inspired controller for a dexterous prosthetic hand based on principal components analysis. Proc IEEE-EMBS Intl Conf. pp. 5022-5025
- Hirose, S (1985) Connected differential mechanism and its applications. Proc Intl Conf on Advanced Robotics. pp. 319-326
- Iberall, T, Arbib, MA Schemas for the control of hand movements: an essay on cortical localization. In: Goodale, MA eds. (1990) Vision and Action: The Control of Grasping. Ablex, Norwood, NJ, pp. 163-180
- Kamper, DG, Cruz, EG, Siegel, MP (2003) Stereotypical fingertip trajectories during grasp. J Neurophys 90: pp. 3702-3710 CrossRef
- Fujiki, R, Arita, D, Taniguchi, R (2005) Real-time 3D hand shape estimation based on inverse kinematics and physical constraints. Proc ICIAP 3617: pp. 850-858
- Cipriani, C, Zaccone, F, Stellin, G, Beccai, L, Cappiello, G, Carrozza, MC, Dario, P (2006) Closed loop controller for a bio-inspired multi-fingered underactuated prosthesis. Proc IEEE Intl Conf on Robotics and Automation. pp. 2111-2113
- Pearson, K (1901) On lines and planes of closest fit to systems of points in space. Phil Mag 2: pp. 559-572
- Sollerman, C, Ejeskär, A (1995) Sollerman hand function test. A standardised method and its use in tetraplegic patients. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 29: pp. 167-176 CrossRef
- Bicchi, A (1995) On the closure properties of robotic grasping. Int J Robot Res 14: pp. 319-334 CrossRef
- Cutkosky, MR (1989) On grasp choice, grasp models, and the design of hands for manufacturing tasks. IEEE Trans Rob Aut 5: pp. 269-279 CrossRef
- Birglen, L, Gosselin, C (2004) Kinetostatic analisys of underactuated fingers. Proc IEEE Intl Conf on Robotics and Automation. pp. 211-221
- Principal components analysis based control of a multi-dof underactuated prosthetic hand
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation
- Online Date
- April 2010
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Engineering and Systems Science, University of Pavia, Via Ferrata 1, 27100, Pavia, Italy
- 2. ARTS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, V.le Piaggio 34, 56025, Pontedera (PI), Italy
- 3. EUCENTRE Foundation, Via Ferrata 1, 27100, Pavia, Italy