Comparison of the NEI-VFQ and OSDI questionnaires in patients with Sjögren's syndrome-related dry eye
To examine the associations between vision-targeted health-related quality of life (VT-HRQ) and ocular surface parameters in patients with Sjögren's syndrome, a systemic autoimmune disease characterized by dry eye and dry mouth.
Forty-two patients fulfilling European / American diagnostic criteria for Sjögren's syndrome underwent Schirmer testing without anesthesia, ocular surface vital dye staining; and measurement of tear film breakup time (TBUT). Subjects were administered the Ocular Surface Disease Index (OSDI) and the 25-item National Eye Institute Vision Functioning Questionnaire (NEI-VFQ). Main outcome measures included ocular surface parameters, OSDI subscales describing ocular discomfort (OSDI-symptoms), vision-related function (OSDI-function), and environmental triggers, and NEI-VFQ subscales.
Participants (aged 31–81 y; 95% female) all had moderate to severe dry eye. Associations of OSDI subscales with the ocular parameters were modest (Spearman r (ρ) < 0.22) and not statistically significant. Associations of NEI-VFQ subscales with the ocular parameters reached borderline significance for the near vision subscale with TBUT (ρ = 0.32, p = .05) and for the distance vision subscale with van Bijsterveld score (ρ = 0.33, p = .04). The strongest associations of the two questionnaires were for: ocular pain and mental function with OSDI-symptoms (ρ = 0.60 and 0.45, respectively); and general vision, ocular pain, mental function, role function, and driving with OSDI-function (ρ = 0.60, 0.50, 0.61, 0.64, 0.57, and 0.67, respectively).
Associations between conventional objective measures of dry eye and VT-HRQ were modest. The generic NEI-VFQ was similar to the disease-specific OSDI in its ability to measure the impact of Sjögren's syndrome-related dry eye on VT-HRQ.
- Brewitt H, Sistani F: Dry eye disease: the scale of the problem. Surv Ophthalmol 2001,45(Suppl 2):S199-S202. CrossRef
- Schein OD, Munoz B, Tielsch JM, Bandeen-Roche K, West S: Prevalence of dry eye among the elderly. Am J Ophthalmol 1997, 124:723–728.
- McCarty CA, Bansal AK, Livingston PM, Stanislavsky YL, Taylor HR: The epidemiology of dry eye in Melbourne, Australia. Ophthalmology 1998, 105:1114–1119. CrossRef
- Moss SE, Klein R, Klein BE: Prevalence of and risk factors for dry eye syndrome. Arch Ophthalmol 2000, 118:1264–1268.
- Chia EM, Mitchell P, Rochtchina E, Lee AJ, Maroun R, Wang JJ: Prevalence and associations of dry eye syndrome in an older population: the Blue Mountains Eye Study. Clin Experimental Ophthalmol 2003, 31:229–232. CrossRef
- Schaumberg DA, Sullivan DA, Buring JE, Dana MR: Prevalence of dry eye syndrome among U.S. women. Am J Ophthalmol 2003, 136:318–326. CrossRef
- Nelson JD, Helms H, Fiscella R, Southwell Y, Hirsch JD: A new look at dry eye disease and its treatment. Adv Ther 2000, 17:84–93. CrossRef
- Lemp MA: Recent developments in dry eye management. Ophthalmology 1987, 94:1299–1304.
- Goto E, Yagi Y, Matsumoto Y, Tsubota K: Impaired functional visual acuity of dry eye patients. Am J Ophthalmol 2002, 133:181–186. CrossRef
- Sade de Paiva C, Luiz Lindsey J, Pflugfelder SC: Assessing the severity of keratitis sicca with videokeratoscopic indices. Ophthalmology 2003, 110:1102–1109. CrossRef
- Vitale S, Schein OD: Qualitative research in functional vision. Int Ophthalmol Clin 2003, 43:17–30.
- Damiano AM, Steinberg EP, Cassard SD, Bass EB, Diener-West M, Legro MW, Tielsch J, Schein OD, Javitt J, Kolb M: Comparison of generic versus disease-specific measures of functional impairment in patients with cataract. Med Care 1995,33(4 Suppl):AS120–130.
- Patrick DL, Deyo RA: Generic and disease-specific measures in assessing health status and quality of life. Med Care 1989,27(3 Suppl):S217–232. CrossRef
- Ware JE Jr: Measures for a new era of health assessment. In Measuring Functioning and Well-Being. The Medical Outcomes Study Approach (Edited by: Stewart AL, Ware JE Jr). The RAND Corporation, Duke University Press 1992, 6–7.
- Patrick DL, Erickson P: Health Status and Health Policy. Allocating Resources to Health Care Oxford University Press 1993, 114–142.
- Barofsky I: Health-related quality of life: methods of assessment. Horm Res 2001,56(Suppl 1):51–54. CrossRef
- McMonnies CW: Key questions in a dry eye history. J Am Optom Assoc 1986, 57:512–517.
- Hay EM, Thomas E, Pal B, Hajeer A, Chambers H, Silman AJ: Weak association between subjective symptoms or and objective testing for dry eyes and dry mouth: results from a population based study. Ann Rheum Dis 1998, 57:20–24. CrossRef
- Schein OD, Tielsch JM, Munoz B, Bandeen-Roche K, West S: Relation between signs and symptoms of dry eye in the elderly. A population-based perspective. Ophthalmology 1997, 104:1395–1401.
- Bjerrum KB: Test and symptoms in keratoconjunctivitis sicca and their correlation. Acta Ophthalmol Scand 1996, 74:436–441. CrossRef
- Begley CG, Caffery B, Chalmers RL, Mitchell GL: Use of the Dry Eye Questionnaire to measure symptoms of ocular irritation in patients with aqueous tear deficient dry eye. Cornea 2002, 21:664–670. CrossRef
- Bandeen-Roche K, Munoz B, Tielsch JM, West SK, Schein OD: Self-reported assessment of dry eye in a population-based setting. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1997, 38:2469–2475.
- Oden NL, Lilienfeld DE, Lemp MA, Nelson JD, Ederer F: Sensitivity and specificity of a screening questionnaire for dry eye. Adv Exp Med Biol 1998, 438:807–820.
- Schiffman RM, Christianson MD, Jacobsen G, Hirsch JD, Reis BL: Reliability and validity of the Ocular Surface Disease Index. Arch Ophthalmol 2000, 118:615–621.
- Fox RI, Michelson P, Casiano CA, Hayashi J, Stern M: Sjögren's syndrome. Clin Dermatol 2000, 18:589–600. CrossRef
- Friedlaender MH: Ocular manifestations of Sjögren's syndrome: keratoconjunctivitis sicca. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 1992, 18:591–608.
- Fox RI, Stern M, Michelson P: Update in Sjögren syndrome. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2000, 12:391–398. CrossRef
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS), National Institutes of Health, Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Sjögren's syndrome 2001. NIH Publication No. 01–4861
- Pedersen AM, Nauntofte B: Primary Sjögren's syndrome: oral aspects on pathogenesis, diagnostic criteria, clinical features and approaches for therapy. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2001, 2:1415–1436. CrossRef
- Bell M, Askari A, Bookman A, Frydrych S, Lamont J, McComb J, Muscoplat C, Slomovic A: Sjögren's syndrome: a critical review of clinical management. J Rheumatol 26:2051–2061.
- Brun JG, Madland TM, Jonsson R: A prospective study of sicca symptoms in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism 2003, 49:187–192. CrossRef
- Kalk WW, Mansour K, Vissink A, Spijkervet FK, Bootsma H, Kallenberg CG, Roodenburg JL, Nieuw Amerongen AV: Oral and ocular manifestations in Sjögren's syndrome. J Rheumatol 2002, 29:924–930.
- Kruize AA, van Bijsterveld OP, Hene RJ, de Wilde PC, Feltkamp TE, Kater L, Bijlsma JW: Long-term course of tear gland function in patients with keratoconjunctivitis sicca and Sjögren's syndrome. Br J Ophthalmol 1997, 81:435–438. CrossRef
- Rostron J, Rogers S, Longman L, Kaney S, Field EA: Health-related quality of life in patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome and xerostomia: a comparative study. Gerodontology 2002, 19:53–59. CrossRef
- Hay KD, Morton RP, Wall CR: Quality of life and nutritional studies in Sjögren's syndrome patients with xerostomia. N Z Dent J 2001, 97:128–131.
- Valtysdottir ST, Gudbjornsson B, Hallgren R, Hetta J: Psychological well-being in patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2000, 18:597–600.
- Strombeck B, Ekdahl C, Manthorpe R, Wikstrom I, Jacobsson L: Health-related quality of life in primary Sjögren's syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia compared to normal population data using SF-36. Scand J Rheumatol 2000, 29:20–28. CrossRef
- Valtysdottir ST, Gudbjornsson B, Lindqvist U, Hallgren R, Hetta J: Anxiety and depression in patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome. J Rheumatol 2000, 27:165–169.
- Thomas E, Hay EM, Hajeer A, Silman AJ: Sjögren's syndrome: a community-based study of prevalence and impact. Br J Rheumatol 1998, 37:1069–1076. CrossRef
- Sutcliffe N, Stoll T, Pyke S, Isenberg DA: Functional disability and end organ damage in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), SLE and Sjögren's syndrome (SS), and primary SS. J Rheumatol 1998, 25:63–68.
- Mangione CM, Lee PP, Pitts J, Gutierrez P, Berry S, Hays RD: Psychometric properties of the National Eye Institute Visual Function Questionnaire (NEI-VFQ). Arch Ophthalmol 1998, 116:1496–1504.
- Mangione CM, Lee PP, Gutierrez PR, Spritzer K, Berry S, Hays RD: Development of the 25-item National Eye Institute Visual Function Questionnaire. Arch Ophthalmol 2001, 119:1050–1058.
- RAND Corporation: The VFQ. [http://www.rand.org/health/surveys/vfq25/scoring.pdf]
- Lemp MA: Evaluation and differential diagnosis of keratoconjunctivitis sicca. J Rheumatol Suppl 2000, 61:11–14.
- Vitali C, Moutsopoulos HM, Bombardieri S: The European Community Study Group on diagnostic criteria for Sjögren's syndrome. Sensitivity and specificity of tests for ocular and oral involvement in Sjögren's syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis 1994, 53:637–647. CrossRef
- Bron AJ: The Doyne Lecture. Reflections on the tears. Eye 1997, 11:583–602.
- van Bijsterveld OP: Diagnostic tests in the sicca syndrome. Arch Ophthalmol 1969, 82:10–14.
- Pflugfelder SC, Tseng SC, Sanabria O, Kell H, Garcia CG, Felix C, Feuer W, Reis BL: Evaluation of subjective assessments and objective diagnostic tests for diagnosing tear-film disorders known to cause ocular irritation. Cornea 1998, 17:38–56. CrossRef
- Vitali C, Bombardieri S, Jonsson R, Moutsopoulos HM, Alexander EL, Carsons SE, Daniels TE, Fox PC, Fox RI, Kassan SS, Pillemer SR, Talal N, Weisman MH, European Study Group on Classification Criteria for Sjogren's Syndrome: Classification criteria for Sjögren's syndrome: a revised version of the European criteria proposed by the American-European Consensus Group. Ann Rheum Dis 2002, 61:554–558. CrossRef
- Armitage P, Berry G: Statistical Methods in Medical Research 3 Edition Blackwell Scientific Publications 1994, 464–465.
- Kahn HA, Sempos CT: Statistical Methods in Epidemiology. Monographs in Epidemiology and Biostatistics Oxford University Press 1989, 12:137–147.
- Rolando M, Iester M, Macri A, Calabria G: Low spatial-contrast sensitivity in dry eyes. Cornea 1998, 17:376–379. CrossRef
- Shiotani Y, Maeda N, Inoue T, Watanabe H, Inoue Y, Shimomura Y, Tano Y: Comparison of topographic indices that correlate with visual acuity in videokeratography. Ophthalmology 2000, 107:559–564. CrossRef
- Sall K, Stevenson OD, Mindorf TK, Reis BL: Two multicenter randomized studies of the efficacy and safety of cyclosporine ophthalmic emulsion in moderate to severe dry eye disease. Ophthalmology 2000, 107:631–639. CrossRef
- Martin XY, Safran AB: Corneal hypoesthesia. Surv Ophthalmol 1988, 33:28–40. CrossRef
- Shimazaki J, Goto E, Ono M, Shimmura S, Tsubota K: Meibomian gland dysfunction in patients with Sjögren's syndrome. Ophthalmology 1998, 105:1485–1488. CrossRef
- Comparison of the NEI-VFQ and OSDI questionnaires in patients with Sjögren's syndrome-related dry eye
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Health and Quality of Life Outcomes
- Online Date
- September 2004
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Research, National Eye Institute, Building 31, room 6A52, 31 Center Drive, MSC 2510, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
- 2. Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA