View: implementing low cost air quality monitoring solution for urban areas
- Jahangir IkramAffiliated withLahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
- , Amer TahirAffiliated withLahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) Email author
- , Hasanat KazmiAffiliated withLahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
- , Zonia KhanAffiliated withLahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
- , Rabi JavedAffiliated withLahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
- , Usama MasoodAffiliated withLahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
Air pollution represents non uniform trends particularly in dense urban areas which arises the necessity for pollution monitoring at finer resolution. Since recent advancements in electrochemical technology have made it feasible to deploy economical wireless sensor nodes for environmental monitoring, we present a bed of cost effective referential sensors which replace the role of traditional weather stations. The system is intended to target lower income nations like Pakistan, where air pollution monitoring and regulation is a crucial issue, not receiving appropriate attention.
The project is specifically designed to be cost effective, compact, energy efficient and possesses the ability to be deployed in large numbers to overcome the limitations of conventional static environment monitoring sites. We have developed a system which aims at increasing awareness to the average citizen and policy makers regarding the prevailing environmental conditions. We go on to investigate the feasibility, reliability and accuracy of the project when deployed in an urban setting. Here we provide a brief summary on the calibration techniques we employed to achieve accurate results, along with providing details on the future research and development with respect to the project.
The model proposed, was used to pilot a venture in Lahore, Pakistan and is deployed successfully.
KeywordsAir pollution Low cost Sensor networks Environmental monitoring Sensor calibration
- View: implementing low cost air quality monitoring solution for urban areas
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Environmental Systems Research
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Air pollution
- Low cost
- Sensor networks
- Environmental monitoring
- Sensor calibration