View: implementing low cost air quality monitoring solution for urban areas
Air pollution represents non uniform trends particularly in dense urban areas which arises the necessity for pollution monitoring at finer resolution. Since recent advancements in electrochemical technology have made it feasible to deploy economical wireless sensor nodes for environmental monitoring, we present a bed of cost effective referential sensors which replace the role of traditional weather stations. The system is intended to target lower income nations like Pakistan, where air pollution monitoring and regulation is a crucial issue, not receiving appropriate attention.
The project is specifically designed to be cost effective, compact, energy efficient and possesses the ability to be deployed in large numbers to overcome the limitations of conventional static environment monitoring sites. We have developed a system which aims at increasing awareness to the average citizen and policy makers regarding the prevailing environmental conditions. We go on to investigate the feasibility, reliability and accuracy of the project when deployed in an urban setting. Here we provide a brief summary on the calibration techniques we employed to achieve accurate results, along with providing details on the future research and development with respect to the project.
The model proposed, was used to pilot a venture in Lahore, Pakistan and is deployed successfully.
- The Automatic Network.
- Environment Protection Authority of New South Wales Government of Australia; 2012. http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/air/airdata.htm, accessed June 2012
- Local Air Quality Conditions and forecasts.
- Ikram, MJ, Akram, AA (2007) Air pollution monitoring through an Internet-based network of volunteers. Environ and Urbaniz 1: pp. 225-241 CrossRef
- Guidance for estimating Ambient air monitoring costs for criteria pollutants and selected air toxic pollutants.
- Electrochemical Sensors – Sensor Technology 2012. http://www.delphian.com/electrochemical%20sensors.htm, accessed June 2012
- Sensirion SHT11 Humidity Sensors.
- Environment Monitoring SM50 Modules.
- Membrapor Gas Sensors - CO-CF-200 Module.
- Xiaoqiao, M, Thyaga, N, Li, L, Songwu, L (2006) Contour maps: Monitoring and diagnosis in sensor networks. Computer Networks 50: pp. 2820-2838 CrossRef
- Kurt, F (1999) Urban environmental management:monitoring, GIS and modelling, in Computer. Environment and Urban Systems 23: pp. 443-457 CrossRef
- Pakistan Environmental Agency 2012. http://www.environment.gov.pk/, accessed June 2012
- Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission 2012.
- Anderson Gerald, L, Hadden David, M (1999) The Gas Monitoring Handbook.
- View: implementing low cost air quality monitoring solution for urban areas
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Environmental Systems Research
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Air pollution
- Low cost
- Sensor networks
- Environmental monitoring
- Sensor calibration