Recycling of waste and downgrading of secondary resources in a classical type of production model
- Eiji B Hosoda
- … show all 1 hide
This paper analyses recycling of waste and downgrading of secondary resources using a classical type of production model represented by a Sraffian model. Residuals emitted as waste by households and secondary resources obtained by recycling of waste are negatively or positively priced, depending upon technological conditions and income distribution. In other words, they can be commodities (goods) or discommodities (bads), and the distinction cannot be determined by physical characteristics. How such distinction comes about is explained, based upon an inter-industrial relationship and the choice of technique. It is also demonstrated that per capita consumption may not necessarily be a decreasing function of a growth rate. This is an anomaly which cannot be found in the economy where discommodities or bads are not explicitly considered.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000): E11, O41, Q53.
- England RW: Production, distribution, and environmental quality: Mr. Sraffa reinterpreted as an ecologist. Kyklos 1986, 39:230–244. CrossRef
- Franke R: Some problems concerning the notion of cost-minimizing systems in the framework of joint production. Manch Sch 1986,LIV(3):298–307. CrossRef
- Gehrke C, Lager C: Environmental taxes, relative prices and choice of technique in a linear model. Metroeconomica 1995,46(2):127–145. CrossRef
- Hosoda E: Malfunction of a market in a transaction of waste - a reason for the necessity of an upstream policy in waste management. In Economic theory and economic thought - essays in honour of Ian Steedman. Edited by: Vint J, Metcalfe S, Kurz HD, Salvadori N, Samuelson PA. Routledge, London; 2010:234–253.
- Hosoda E (2010b) Sorting and recycling of waste in a neo-Ricardian model. Mimeo, Keio UniversityHosoda E (2010b) Sorting and recycling of waste in a neo-Ricardian model. Mimeo, Keio University
- Hosoda E: Bads as joint products in a linear production system. In Production, distribution and trade. Edited by: Birolo A, Foley DK, Kurz HD, Schehold B, Steedman I. Routledge, London; 2010:33–61.
- Kurz DH: Goods and bads: Sundry observations on joint production, waste disposal, and renewable and exhaustible resources. Progress in Industrial Ecology An International Journal 2006,3(4):280–301. CrossRef
- Lager C: Perverse results of a greening of the tax system. In Economic dynamics and economic policy. Edited by: Teixeira JR, Carneiro FG. DF-Brazil, Brasilia; 1999:147–160.
- Lager C: Joint production with ‘Restricted Free Disposal’. Metroeconomica 2001,52(1):49–78. CrossRef
- Sraffa P: Production of commodities by means of commodities. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge; 1960.
- Recycling of waste and downgrading of secondary resources in a classical type of production model
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Economic Structures
- Online Date
- September 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- choice of technique
- Eiji B Hosoda (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Economics, Keio University, 2-15-45 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-8345, Japan