A constraints-based resource discovery model for multi-provider cloud environments
Increasingly infrastructure providers are supplying the cloud marketplace with storage and on-demand compute resources to host cloud applications. From an application user’s point of view, it is desirable to identify the most appropriate set of available resources on which to execute an application. Resource choice can be complex and may involve comparing available hardware specifications, operating systems, value-added services (such as network configuration or data replication) and operating costs (such as hosting cost and data throughput). Providers’ cost models often change and new commodity cost models (such as spot pricing) can offer significant savings. In this paper, a software abstraction layer is used to discover the most appropriate infrastructure resources for a given application, by applying a two-phase constraints-based approach to a multi-provider cloud environment. In the first phase, a set of possible infrastructure resources is identified for the application. In the second phase, a suitable heuristic is used to select the most appropriate resources from the initial set. For some applications a cost-based heuristic may be most appropriate; for others a performance-based heuristic may be of greater relevance. A financial services application and a high performance computing application are used to illustrate the execution of the proposed resource discovery mechanism. The experimental results show that the proposed model can dynamically select appropriate resouces for an application’s requirements.
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) http://aws.amazon.com/ec2. Accessed 04 Jan 2012
- ElasticHosts http://www.elastichosts.com/. Accessed 06 Jan 2012
- GoGrid http://www.gogrid.com/. Accessed 04 Jan 2012
- FlexiScale http://www.flexiant.com/products/flexiscale/. Accessed 04 Jan 2012
- RackSpace http://www.rackspace.com/. Accessed 06 Jan 2012
- Nurmi D, Wolski R, Grzegorczyk C, Obertelli G, Soman S, Youseff L, Zagorodnov D: The Eucalyptus Open-Source Cloud-Computing System. In CCGRID ’09: Proceedings of the 2009 9th IEEE/ACM International, Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid. Washington, DC, USA; 2009:124–131.
- Montero RS: OpenNebula: The Open Source Virtual Machine Manager for Cluster Computing. In Open Source Grid and Cluster Conference. Oakland, CA; 2008.
- Marshall P, Keahey K, Freeman T: Elastic Site: Using Clouds to Elastically Extend Site Resources. 2010 10th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing 2010, 43–52. CrossRef
- Rochwerger B, Breitgand D, Levy E, Galis A, Nagin K, Llorente IM, Montero R, Wolfsthal Y, Elmroth E, Caceres J, Ben-Yehuda M, Emmerich W, Galan F: The Reservoir model and architecture for open federated cloud computing. IBM Journal of Research and Development 2009,53(4):4:1–4:11. CrossRef
- Galán F, Sampaio A, Rodero-Merino L, Loy I, Gil V, Vaquero LM: Service specification in cloud environments based on extensions to open standards. In Proceedings of the, Fourth International ICST Conference on Communication System software and middleware, COMSWARE ’09. New York, NY, USA: ACM; 2009:19:1–19:12. http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1621890.1621915
- Open Virtualization Format (OVF) Specification. DSP0243 1.0.0. Distributed Management Task Force. Feb 2009 http://www.dmtf.org/standards/ovf; Access date: 2012–01–09 ; Access date: 2012-01-09
- Theilmann W, Yahyapour R, Butler J: Multi-level SLA Management for, Service-Oriented Infrastructures. Towards a Service-Based Internet, Volume 5377 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2008. ed. Mähönen P, Pohl K, Priol T 324–335. Springer Berlin /Heidelberg
- Bernstein D, Vij D: Using Semantic Web Ontology for Intercloud Directories and Exchanges. International Conference on Internet Computing 2010, 18–24.
- Di Martino B, Petcu D, Cossu R, Goncalves P, Máhr T, Loichate M: Building a Mosaic of Clouds. Euro-Par 2010 Parallel Processing, Workshops, Volume 6586 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2011, 571–578. ed. Guarracino M, Vivien F, Träff J, Cannatoro M, Danelutto M, Hast A, Perla F, Knüpfer A, Di Martino B, Alexander M 571–578. Springer Berlin /Heidelberg, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978–3-642–21878–1_70 CrossRef
- Petcu D, Craciun C, Rak M: Towards a cross-platform cloud API. Components for Cloud Federation. 1st International Conference on Cloud Computing & Services Science 2011, 166–169.
- Moscato F, Aversa R, Di Martino B, Fortis T, Munteanu V: An analysis of mOSAIC ontology for Cloud resources annotation. Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS), 2011 Federated Conference on 2011, 973–980.
- Harmer T, Wright P, Cunningham C, Hawkins J, Perrott R: An application-centric model for cloud management. Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE 6th World, Congress on Services 2010, 439–446. IEEE CrossRef
- Sun YL, Harmer T, Stewart A, Wright P: Mapping Application Requirements to Cloud Resources. Proceedings of the Euro-Par 2011 Parallel Processing Workshops 2011.
- Bernstein D, Vij D: Intercloud Directory and Exchange Protocol Detail using XMPP and RDF. IEEE Services 2010 2010.
- Sun YL, Perrott R, Harmer T, Cunningham C, Wright P: An SLA Focused Financial Services Infrastructure. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Cloud Computing Virtualization. Singapore; 2010.
- Thain D, Tannenbaum T, Livny M: Condor and the Grid. Grid Computing: Making the Global Infrastructure a Reality 2002. ed. Berman F, Fox G, Hey T. John Wiley & Sons Inc
- GotoBLAS http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/tacc-projects/gotoblas2. Accessed 09 Jan 2012
- Perrott R, Harmer T, Lewis R: e-Science Infrastructure for Digital Media Broadcasting. Computer 2008,41(11):67–72. CrossRef
- Gregory J, Lin C: Constrained Optimization In The Calculus Of Variations and Optimal Control Theory. London: Chapman & Hall; 1996.
- Yeoh W, Felner A, Koenig S: IDB-ADOPT: A Depth-First Search DCOP Algorithm. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag; 2009:132–146.
- Bistarelli S, Foley S, O’Sullivan B, Santini F: From Marriages to, Coalitions: A Soft CSP Approach. Recent Advances in Constraints, Volume 5655 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2009. ed. Oddi A, Fages F, Rossi F 1–15. Springer Berlin /Heidelberg, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978–3-642–03251–6_1
- Fages F, Martin J: From rules to constraint programs with the Rules2CP modelling language. In Recent Advances in Constraints, Revised Selected Papers of the 13th Annual ERCIM International Workshop on Constraint Solving and Constraint Logic Programming, CSCLP 2008, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 2008, 66–83. Springer-Verlag
- JBoss Drools Planner http://www.jboss.org/drools/drools-planner. Accessed 10 Jan 2012
- A constraints-based resource discovery model for multi-provider cloud environments
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Cloud Computing
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links