A performative perspective on UX
As increasingly more interactions occur in public or social settings, the concept of interaction as a “performance” provides a compelling perspective when evaluating user experience (UX). Building on dramaturgical/performative metaphors and phenomenological theory, this paper presents a performative perspective on UX that focuses on mobile or public interactions. Based on concepts from phenomenology, this approach emphasises the importance of subjective individual experiences as the natural focus of analysis. Self-reported subjective experiences can be organized and analysed using dramaturgical metaphors, where interaction can be understood in terms of characters, props and stages. This paper distils these foundations into key concepts and discusses the implications of adopting this perspective in practice. Thus, this performative perspective on UX combines theory and metaphors to guide the evaluation and analysis of UX in mobile or public settings.
- Law E, Roto V, Hassenzahl M, Vermeeren A, Kort J: Understanding, scoping and defining user experience: a survey approach. In Proc. Of CHI’09. ACM, New York, NY, USA; 2009:719–728.
- Obrist M, Roto V, Vaananen-Vainio-Mattila K: User experience evaluation: do you know which method to use? In CHI EA’09. ACM, New York, NY, USA; 2009:2763–2766.
- Law E, Roto V, Vermeeren A, Kort J, Hassenzahl M: Towards a shared definition of user experience. In CHI EA’08. ACM, New York, NY, USA; 2008:2395–2398. CrossRef
- Obrist M, Law E, Vaananen-Vainio-Mattila K, Roto V, Vermeeren A, Kuutti K: UX research: what theoretical roots do we build on - if any? In CHI EA’11. ACM, New York, NY, USA; 2011:165–168.
- Dourish P: Where the action is: the foundations of embodied interaction. Bradford Books, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA; 2004.
- Jacucci G: Interaction as Performance. Cases of configuring physical interfaces in mixed media. PhD thesis. University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland; 2004.
- Goffman E: The presentation of self in everyday life. Penguin psychology, Penguin, London, UK; 1990.
- Benson D, Hughes JA: The perspective of ethnomethodology. Longman, London, UK; 1983.
- Rico J, Brewster S: Usable gestures for mobile interfaces: evaluating social acceptability. In Proceedings of CHI’10. ACM, New York, NY, USA; 2010:887–896.
- Ronkainen S, Häkkilä J, Kaleva S, Colley A, Linjama J: Tap input as an embedded interaction method for mobile devices. In Proc. TEI’07. ACM, New York, NY, USA; 2007:263–270.
- Buchenau M, Suri J: Experience prototyping. In Proc. of DIS’00. ACM, New York, NY, USA; 2000:424–433.
- Rico J, Brewster S: Gesture and voice prototyping for early evaluations of social acceptability in multimodal interfaces. In Proc. of ICMI’10. ACM, New York, NY, USA; 2010.
- Williamson JR, Crossan A, Brewster S: Multimodal Mobile Interactions: Usability Studies in Real World Settings. Proceedings of ICMI. ACM Press, Alicante, Spain, In; 2011:361–368.
- A performative perspective on UX
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Communications in Mobile Computing
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links