Optimisation of hybrid off-grid energy systems by linear programming
In this study, a general model of a hybrid off-grid energy system is developed, which can be adjusted to reflect real conditions in order to achieve economical and ecological optimisation of off-grid energy systems.
Using linear programming methods in the General Algebraic Modeling System (GAMS) environment, the optimal configuration of the electrical power supply system following characteristic restrictions as well as hourly weather and demand data is found. From this model, the optimal mix of solar- and wind-based power generators combined with storage devices and a diesel generator set is formed.
The operation of this model was tested in two real off-grid energy systems, a cluster of villages in India and Titumate in Colombia. Both optimisation processes resulted in hybrid energy systems, utilising photovoltaics (PV), lead-acid batteries and a diesel generator as a load-balancing facility.
With respect to small off-grid energy systems, it was found that renewable energy in combination with electrical storage devices help to reduce the cost of energy compared to stand-alone diesel generator sets. The optimal solutions strongly depend on the particular load demand curve. As both PV and wind energy benefit from energy storage, the costs of the battery can be shared and the two technologies complement each other. Finally, although the optimised capacity of the diesel generator remains nearly constant, its contribution to the total power generation is being substituted by renewable energy sources, which serve as fuel-saving technologies.
- Bassam, NE, Maegaard, P (2004) Integrated renewable energy for rural communities. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Niez, A (2010) Comparative study on rural electrification policies in emerging economies. Tech rep., IEA Energy Technology Policy Division 2010.
- Nfah, E, Ngundam, J, Vandenbergh, M, Schmid, J (2008) Simulation of generation options for remote villages in Cameroon. Renewable Energy 33: pp. 1064-1072 CrossRef
- Gupta, A, Saini, R, Sharma, M (2010) Steady-state modelling of hybrid energy system for off grid electrification of cluster of villages. Renewable Energy 35: pp. 520-535 CrossRef
- Bowen, A, Cowie, M, Zakay, N (2001) The performance of a remote wind-diesel power system. Renewable Energy 22: pp. 429-445 CrossRef
- Kaldellis, J, Kondili, E, Filios, A (2006) Sizing a hybrid wind-diesel stand-alone system on the basis of minimum long-term electricity production cost. Applied Energy 83: pp. 1384-1403 CrossRef
- Koner, P, Dutta, V, Chopra, K (2000) A comparative life cycle energy cost analysis of photovoltaic and fuel generator for load shedding application. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 60: pp. 309-322 CrossRef
- Sebitosi, A, Khan, M, Pillay, P (2006) An analysis of off grid electrical systems in rural Sub-Saharan Africa. Energy Conversion and Management 47: pp. 1113-1123 CrossRef
- Preisindex Photovoltaik Quartal 3, 2010. Tech rep (German source).
- Otter, P, Pehnt, M (2009) Arbeitspaket Marktanalyse Kleine Windkraft. Pilotstudie zur Akzeptanz vertikaler Windenergieanlagen Tech rep (German source) ifeu - Institut für Energie- und Umweltforschung Heidelberg GmbH.
- Klus, L (2009) Doppelt unabhängig (German source). Sonne, Wind und Wärme 16: pp. 56-57
- Iken, J (2009) Dieselstrom mit Rückenwind (German source). Sonne, Wind und Wärme 16: pp. 52-55
- Jossen, A, Weydanz, W (2006) Moderne Akkumulatoren richtig einsetzen (German source). Reichhardt Verlag, München.
- Technical and economic assessment of off-grid, mini-grid and grid electrification technologies annexes. Tech rep.
- All battery index. November 2010 Tech rep.
- Wiese, R, Bohnisch, P (2011) Solarenergie in der Andenregion. Tech rep (German source) Bundesverband Solarwirtschaft e.V.
- Weather data of EnergyPlus energy simulation software. Tech rep.
- Un sistema híbrido solar-diesel para generación de energía eléctrica en Titumate, municipio de Unguía-Chocó. Tech rep (Spanish source).
- Programs at a glance. Tech rep.
- Neddermann, B (2010) Status der Windenergienutzung in Deutschland. Tech rep (German source) DEWI GmbH.
- Optimisation of hybrid off-grid energy systems by linear programming
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Energy, Sustainability and Society
- Online Date
- April 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- energy system
- linear programming
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Energy Systems, Technische Universität Berlin, Einsteinufer 25 (TA8), Berlin, 10587, Germany
- 2. Equitel Organization, Av. Ciudad de Cali No. 11-22, Bogotá, Colombia