Nonindustrial private forest owners' opinions to and awareness of energy wood market and forest-based bioenergy certification - results of a case study from Finnish Karelia
Nonindustrial private forest owners (NIPFs) in Finland are important stakeholders of forest management and roundwood supply decisions. Their role will also be significant to supply energy wood to meet Finland's target for renewable energy in the future. The main objectives of this study were to explore the opinions and awareness of the Finnish NIPFs related to the energy wood market and forest-based bioenergy certification issues in Finland and their relevance for future bioenergy policies.
A questionnaire-based survey was conducted among the NIPFs in Finnish Karelia (N = 79).
The Finnish NIPFs considered price as the key deciding factor in harvesting and selling of energy wood. The present low price of energy wood compared to pulpwood did not motivate them to increase harvesting and selling of energy wood from thier forest estates. The majority of them appeared to be unaware of the Criterion 5 under the PEFC group forest certification scheme, which provides guidance on harvesting of biomass from forests for energy production in Finland. However, they expected that forest-based bioenergy certification schemes should be easy to follow, develop energy wood market, and promote environmentally sound forest management practices in Finland. Private forest owners' associations and personal information letters emerged as the most favored means to disseminate information on forest-based bioenergy certification to the Finnish NIPFs.
The study explored the opinions and awareness of the Finnish NIPFs related to energy wood market and forest-based bioenergy certification issues. The conclusions derived from the study might be highly policy-relevant concerning the development of energy wood market and related certification schemes. Future studies should include larger sample size for increasing the representativeness of the findings.
- Statistics Finland : Total energy consumption 2009. 2010. Available at http://www.stat.fi/til/ekul/2009/ekul_2009_2010–12–10_kuv_001_en.html. Accessed 10 January 2011
- Metla (Finnish Forest Research Institute): Finnish Statistical Yearbook of Forestry. Finnish Forest Research Institute, Vantaa; 2009:452.
- Favada IM: Econometric Models of Finnish Non-Industrial Private Forest Owners' Timber Supply and Timber Stock. 2007. Available at http://www.metla.fi/dissertationes/df46.pdf. Accessed 11 September 2010
- Framstad E, Berglund H, Gundersen V, Heikkilä R, Lankinen N, Peltola T, Risbøl O, Weih M: Increased biomass harvesting for bioenergy - effects on biodiversity, landscape amenities and cultural heritage values. 2009. Available at http://www.norden.org/en/publications/publications/2009–591. Accessed 11 September 2010
- Stupak I, Lattimore B, Titus BD, Smith CT: Criteria and indicators for sustainable forest fuel production and harvesting: a review of current standards for sustainable forest management. Biomass Bioenerg 2010, 35:3287–3308. CrossRef
- Martikainen A, van Dam J: Evaluation report of different criteria for sustainability and certification of biomass and solid, liquid and gaseous biofuels – D 4.4.1. 2010. Available at http://www.eubionet.net/GetItem.asp?item=digistorefile;2438 52;1540¶ms=open;gallery. Accessed 10 April 2011
- FSC Forest Stewardship Council: Global FSC certificates: types and distribution (6 August 2012). 2012. Available at http://www.fsc.org/facts-figures.19.htm. Accessed 20 August 2012
- PEFC Programme for Endorsement of Forest Certification: Statistical figures on PEFC certification (updated on 31 July 2012). 2012. Available at http://pefcregs.info/statistics.asp. Accessed 20 August 2012
- Finland PEFC: Criteria for Certification: Level of Forest Holdings of Individual Owners and Criteria for Group Certification. PEFC Finland, Helsinki; 2009.
- Forestry Development Centre TAPIO (Finland): Harvesting energy wood supports the production of industrial wood. Available at http://www.tapio.fi/harvesting_energy_wood_supports_the_prod. Accessed 4 October 2011 Available at . Accessed 4 October 2011
- Lattimore B, Smith CT, Titus BD, Stupak I, Egnell G: Environmental factors in woodfuel production: opportunities, risks, and criteria and indicators for sustainable practices. Biomass Bioenerg 2009, 33:1321–1342. CrossRef
- EU Commission: EU directive 2009/28/EC on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable energy sources. 2009. Available via http://www.erneuerbare-energien.de/english/renewable_energy/international/eu_directive/eu_directive/doc/45419.php. Accessed 10 September 2010
- EU Commission: Report from the commission to the council and the European parliament on sustainability requirements for the use of solid and gaseous biomass sources in electricity, heating and cooling. 2010. Available at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2010:0011:FIN :EN:PDF. Accessed 15 September 2011
- Havlik P, Schneider UA, Schmid E, Böttcher H, Fritz S, Skalský K, Aoki K, De Cara G, Kraxner F, Leduc S, McCallum I, Mosnier A, Sauer T, Obersteiner M: Global land-use implications of first and second generation biofuel targets. Energ Policy 2011, 39:5690–5702. CrossRef
- Hjulfors LN, Hjerpe K: Sustainable bioenergy production - defining principles and criteria. Bioenergy Promotion, Work Package 3, Task 3.1. Swedish Board of Agriculture and the Swedish Forest Agency, Jönköping; 2010:24.
- FAO: Criteria and indicators for sustainable wood fuels. FAO Forestry Paper 160. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, Rome; 2010:93.
- Gruchy SR, Grebner DL, Munn IA, Joshi O, Hussain A: An assessment of nonindustrial private forest landowner willingness to harvest woody biomass in support of bioenergy production in Mississippi: a contingent rating approach. Forest Policy and Econ 2012, 15:140–145. CrossRef
- Leitch ZJ: Private Landowner Intent to Supply Forest Biomass for Energy in Kentucky. Theses and Dissertations-Forestry. Paper 3, University of Kentucky; 2012.
- Markowski-Lindsay L, Stevens T, Kittredge DB, Butler BJ, Catanzaro P, Damery D: Family forest owner preferences for biomass harvesting in Massachusetts. Forest Policy and Econ 2012, 14:127–135. CrossRef
- Shivan GC, Mehmood SR: Factors influencing nonindustrial private forest landowners' policy preference for promoting bioenergy. Forest Policy and Economics 2010, 12:581–588. CrossRef
- Bohlin F, Roos A: Wood fuel supply as a function of forest owner preferences and management styles. Biomass Bioenerg 2002, 22:237–249. CrossRef
- Rämö AK, Järvinnen E, Latvala T, Silvennoinen H: Interest in energy wood and energy crop production among Finnish non-industrial private forest owners. Biomass Bioenerg 2009, 33:1252–1257. CrossRef
- Statistics Finland: Greenhouse gases 2008. 2010. Available at http://stat.fi/til/khki/2008/khki_2008_2010–04–23_en.pdf. Accessed 3 September 2011
- Wibe S: Carbon dioxide emissions from wood fuels in Sweden 1980–2100. J Forest Econ 2012, 18:123–130. CrossRef
- Oikari M, Kärhä K, Palander T, Pajuoja H, Ovaskainen H: Analyzing the views of wood harvesting professionals related to the approaches for increasing the cost-efficiency of wood harvesting from young stands. Silva Fennica 2010, 44:481–495.
- Lewandowski I, Faaij APC: Steps towards the development of a certification system for sustainable bio-energy trade. Biomass Bioenerg 2006, 30:83–104. CrossRef
- Metinfo: Forest information services. Finnish Forest Research Institute (Metla), ; 2009. Available at http://www.metla.fi/metinfo/tilasto/. Accessed on 10 January 2011
- Torvelainen J: Environmental influences of small-scale use of fuelwood in Finland - preliminary life cycle observations. 2010. Available at http://www.bioenergypromotion.net/project/publications/environmental-influences-of-small-s cale-use-of-fuelwood-in-finland-rep ort. Accessed 10 January 2011
- Kärhä K, Jylhä P, Laitila J: Integrated procurement of pulpwood and energy wood from early thinnings using whole-tree bundling. Biomass Bioenerg 2011, 35:3389–3396. CrossRef
- Tahvanainen T, Anttila P: Supply chain cost analysis of long-distance transportation of energy wood in Finland. Biomass Bioenerg 2011, 35:3360–3375. CrossRef
- Nonindustrial private forest owners' opinions to and awareness of energy wood market and forest-based bioenergy certification - results of a case study from Finnish Karelia
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Energy, Sustainability and Society
- Online Date
- September 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Nonindustrial private forest owners
- Energy wood market
- Bioenergy certification
- Finnish Karelia
- Industry Sectors