An anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial flavone glycoside from flowers of Cleome viscosa
Natural products isolated from plant sources have been demonstrated as potential candidates against several ailments. The scientific investigations on the underlying principles of phytotherapy can pave way for the convergence of traditional medicines and modern science and technologies.
Quercetin 3-O-(2′′-acetyl)-glucoside obtained from ethyl acetate fraction of Cleome viscosa is studied against inflammatory of carrageenan-induced rat paw edema ( in vivo) and microbial activity on ( in vitro). The structure of the glycoside is confirmed by means of hydrogen-1 nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, carbon nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, attached proton test, and mass spectrum. The flavonoid glycoside showed significant anti-inflammatory activity of on carrageenan-induced rat paw edema ( in vivo) and anti-microbial activity ( in vitro) on Staphylococcus aureus (gram positive) and Escherichia coli (gram negative). The anti-inflammatory effect of the flavonoid glycoside may be due to the inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis. Selective toxicity with flavonoid glycoside towards the gram-positive bacteria was found on S. aureus.
The present study reveals the anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial activities of an isolated quercetin 3-O-(2′′-acetyl)-glucoside from a natural source ( C. viscosa).
- Bello, IA, Ndukwe, GI, Audu, OT, Habila, JD (2011) A bioactive flavonoid from Pavetta crassipes K. Schum. Org Med Chem Lett 1: pp. 14 CrossRef
- Johnmerina, A, Kesavan, D, Sulochana, N (2011) Isolation and antihyperglycemic activity of flavonoid from flower petals of Opuntia stricta. Pharm Chem J 45: pp. 317 CrossRef
- Subramanian, SS, Nagarajan, S, Sulochana, N (1972) Chrysin-7-rutinoside from the leaves of Dolichandrone falcata. Phytochemistry 11: pp. 438-439 CrossRef
- Subramanian, SS, Nagarajan, S, Sulochana, N (1973) Hydroquinone from the leaves of Jacaranda mimosaefolia. Phytochemistry 12: pp. 220-221 CrossRef
- Subramanian, SS, Nagarajan, S, Sulochana, N (1971) Flavonoids of the leaves of Jatropha gossypifolia. Phytochemistry 10: pp. 1690 CrossRef
- Subramanian, SS, Sulochana, N (1971) Flavonoids of some euphorbiaceous plants. Phytochemistry 10: pp. 2548-2549 CrossRef
- Senthamilselvi, MM, Kesavan, D, Sulochana, N (2011) New biflavone glycoside from flowers of Asystasia gangetica. Chem Nat Compds 47: pp. 360-362 CrossRef
- Parimaladevi, B, Boominathan, R, Mandal, SC (2003) Studies on analgesic activity of Cleome viscose in mice. Fitoterapia 74: pp. 262-266 CrossRef
- Parimaladevi, B, Boominathan, R, Mandal, SC (2004) Studies on psychopharmacological effects of Cleome viscose Linn. Extract in rats and mice. Phytother Res 18: pp. 169-172 CrossRef
- Parimaladevi, B, Boominathan, R, Mandal, SC, Ghosal, SK (2004) Anti-inflammatory evaluation of Ionidium suffruticosam Ging. in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 91: pp. 367-370 CrossRef
- Sudhakar, M, Rao Ch, V, Rao, PM, Raju, DB (2006) Evaluation of antimicrobial activity of Cleome viscosa and Gmelina asiatica. Fitoterapia 77: pp. 47-49 CrossRef
- Sengottuvelu, S, Duraisamy, R, Nandhakumar, J, Sivakumar, T (2007) Hepatoprotective activity of Cleome viscosa against carbon tetrachloride induced hepatotoxity in rats. Pharmacogn Mag 3: pp. 120-123
- Gupta, NK, Dixit, VD (2009) Evaluation of hepatoprotective activity of Cleome viscosa Linn. extract. Indian J Pharmacol 41: pp. 36-40 CrossRef
- Silverstein, RM, Bassler, GC, Morrill, TC (1991) Spectrometric identification of organic compounds. Wiley, New York
- Di Rosa, M, Giroud, JP, Wiiloughby, DA (1971) Studies of the mediators of the acute inflammatory response induced in rats in different sites by carrageenan and turpentine. J Pathol 104: pp. 15-29 CrossRef
- Wyman, JG, Van-Etten, HD (1978) Antibacterial activity of selected isofavonoids. Phytopath 68: pp. 583-589 CrossRef
- An anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial flavone glycoside from flowers of Cleome viscosa
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Organic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters
- Online Date
- May 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cleome viscosa
- Rat paw edema
- Flavonoid glycoside