Numerical simulation of thin paint film flow
Being able to predict the visual appearance of a painted steel sheet, given its topography before paint application, is of crucial importance for car makers. Accurate modeling of the industrial painting process is required.
The equations describing the leveling of the paint film are complex and their numerical simulation requires advanced mathematical tools, which are described in detail in this paper. Simulations are validated using a large experimental data base obtained with a wavefront sensor developed by Phasics™.
The conducted simulations are complex and require the development of advanced numerical tools, like those presented in this paper.
- Numerical simulation of thin paint film flow
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Mathematics in Industry
- Online Date
- January 2012
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- thin films
- numerical simulation
- industrial painting process
- lubrication approximation
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre de Morphologie Mathématique, École des Mines ParisTech, 77300, Fontainebleau, France
- 2. UMR Navier, 2 allée Kepler, 77420, Champs-sur-Marne, France
- 3. ArcelorMittal Global R&D, 57283, Maizières-lès-Metz Cedex, France
- 4. LadHyX, École Polytechnique, 91128, Palaiseau, France