Designing irrigation pipes
The use of porous ducts to deliver water to agricultural fields is an old technique which helps saving water and prevents ground erosion. Designing porous duct is not as a simple task as it looks and apparently has never been the subject of mathematical research. Here the problem is addressed making use of a double rescaling of space and velocity variables, which allows the derivation of the governing equations starting from the study of the classical Navier Stokes equations in a pipe. Such equations are then solved obtaining results of practical interest in design of irrigation pipes, both for low discharge pipes (small plants) and for high discharge pipes (large plants).
AMS classification: 76S05, 76D05, 35C20
- Borsi I, Farina A, Fasano A: On the influence of geometrical factors and of slip condition on the filtration through hollow fibers, to appear on ZAMP .
- Robey, OE (1934) Porous hose irrigation. Michigan Extension Bulletin 133: pp. 1-22
- Zwieniecki, MA, Thompson, MV, Holbrook, NM (2003) Understanding the hydraulics of porous pipes: tradeoffs between water uptake and root length utilization. J Plant Growth Regul 21: pp. 315-323 CrossRef
- Mizushina, T, Takeshita, S, Unno, G (1971) Study of flow in a porous tube with radial mass flux. J Chem Eng Japan 4: pp. 135-140 CrossRef
- International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage, 7th International Micro Irrigation Congress Kuala Lampur, Malaysia; 2006.
- Lamm, FR, Trooien, TP (2003) Subsurface drip irrigation for corn production: a review of 10 years of research in Kansas. Irrig Sci 22: pp. 195-200 CrossRef
- Dreyer, K, Hickey, FR (1991) The route to chaos in a dripping water faucet. Am J Phys 59: pp. 619-627 CrossRef
- Rossler, O In: Haken, H eds. (1977) Synergistics: a workshop. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 174-183
- Designing irrigation pipes
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Mathematics in Industry
- Online Date
- August 2011
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- porous pipes
- Navier-Stokes equations
- asymptotic expansions