Pattern of antigen expression in metastases after radioimmunotherapy of a syngeneic rat colon carcinoma utilizing the BR96 antibody
Repeated administration of antibody-based therapies such as radioimmunotherapy depends on preserved antigen expression in tumor lesions. The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether the antigen expression in metastases observed after radioimmunotherapy differs from that of untreated primary tumors.
30 of the 35 Brown Norway rats with syngeneic colon carcinoma treated with 400 MBq/kg 177Lu-DOTA-BR96 exhibited consistent complete response of the primary tumor. 13 animals developed metastases that were detected after treatment. The antigen expression was reduced in 17 of 23 metastases detected after radioimmunotherapy compared with untreated tumors. No tumors completely lacked positively stained tumor cells.
Although it was not possible to demonstrate that the antigen reduction is triggered by the radioimmunotherapy this result stress the importance of considering the risk of reduced antigen expression in metastases after radioimmunotherapy prior to further targeted therapies.
- Sleeman J, Steeg PS: Cancer metastasis as a therapeutic target. Eur J Cancer 2010, 46:1177–1180. CrossRef
- Koppe MJ, Bleichrodt RP, Oyen WJ, Boerman OC: Radioimmunotherapy and colorectal cancer. Br J Surg 2005, 92:264–276. CrossRef
- DeNardo GL, Schlom J, Buchsbaum DJ, Meredith RF, O'Donoghue JA, Sgouros G, Humm JL, DeNardo SJ: Rationales, evidence, and design considerations for fractionated radioimmunotherapy. Cancer 2002, 94:1332–1348. CrossRef
- Eriksson SE, Ohlsson T, Nilsson R, Tennvall J: Treatment with unlabeled mAb BR96 after radioimmunotherapy with 177Lu-DOTA-BR96 in a syngeneic rat colon carcinoma model. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 2012, 27:175–182. CrossRef
- Sjogren HO, Isaksson M, Willner D, Hellstrom I, Hellstrom KE, Trail PA: Antitumor activity of carcinoma-reactive BR96-doxorubicin conjugate against human carcinomas in athymic mice and rats and syngeneic rat carcinomas in immunocompetent rats. Cancer Res 1997, 57:4530–4536.
- Coffey JC, Wang JH, Smith MJ, Bouchier-Hayes D, Cotter TG, Redmond HP: Excisional surgery for cancer cure: therapy at a cost. Lancet Oncol 2003, 4:760–768. CrossRef
- Prise KM, O'Sullivan JM: Radiation-induced bystander signalling in cancer therapy. Nat Rev Cancer 2009, 9:351–360. CrossRef
- Formenti SC, Demaria S: Systemic effects of local radiotherapy. Lancet Oncol 2009, 10:718–726. CrossRef
- Muldoon LL, Neuwelt EA: BR96-DOX immunoconjugate targeting of chemotherapy in brain tumor models. J Neurooncol 2003, 65:49–62. CrossRef
- Pattern of antigen expression in metastases after radioimmunotherapy of a syngeneic rat colon carcinoma utilizing the BR96 antibody
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Experimental Hematology & Oncology
- Online Date
- November 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Rat colon carcinoma
- Antigen expression
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Oncology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
- 2. Department of Medical Radiation Physics, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
- 3. Department of Oncology, Skåne University Hospital, Lund, Sweden