Treatment of bone loss in patients with chronic liver disease awaiting liver transplantation
Most of the patients awaiting liver transplantation already have osteopenia or even osteoporosis by end-stage liver disease.
In a retrospective study, we investigated the effect of pre-treatment with oral monthly ibandronate (150 mg), vitamin D3 (800 IU/day) and calcium (1 g/day) for osteopenia and osteoporosis caused by end-stage liver disease in patients before and after liver transplantation (LT).
The bone mineral density (BMD) of the lumbar spine (LS) and the femoral neck was measured prospectively pre- and post-LT in 31 patients with existing pre-transplant osteopenia. Patients had osteopenia of the LS prior to LT (T-score −1.8 ± 1.5) so that the treatment medication was initiated immediately after the diagnosis.
The study group showed a permanently increased BMD with significant differences (g/cm²) from baseline up to 12 months post LT at the lumbar spine (LS: pre-LT 0.80 ± 0.11 g/cm², three months: 0.90 ± 0.08 (P <0.005); six months: 0.95 ± 0.11 (P < 0.008); 12 months: 1.00 ± 0.09 -0.85 (P <0.012).
The combined pre- and post-operative treatment with oral ibandronate had significantly improved bone mineral density of the lumbar spine at 3, 6 and 12 months post LT. The immediate post-operative bone loss after LT can be significantly avoided by pre-treatment of liver transplant candidates affected by osteopenia.
- Crosbie OM, Freaney R, McKenna MJ, Curry MP, Hegarty JE: Predicting bone loss following orthotopic liver transplantation. Gut 1999, 44:430–434. CrossRef
- Collier J: Bone disorders in chronic liver disease. Hepatology 2007, 46:1271–1278. CrossRef
- Sokhi RP, Anantharaju A, Kondaveeti R, Creech SD, Islam KK, Van Thiel DH: Bone mineral density among cirrhotic patients awaiting liver transplantation. Liver Transpl 2004, 10:648–653. CrossRef
- Ninkovic M, Love SA, Tom B, Alexander GJ, Compston JE: High prevalence of osteoporosis in patients with chronic liver disease prior to liver transplantation. Calcified Tissue Int 2001, 69:321–326. CrossRef
- Pares A, Guanabens N: Treatment of bone disorders in liver disease. J Hepatol 2006, 45:445–453. CrossRef
- Solaymani-Dodaran M, Card TR, Aithal GP, West J: Fracture risk in people with primary biliary cirrhosis: a population-based cohort study. Gastroenterology 2006, 131:1752–1757. CrossRef
- Mounach A, Ouzzif Z, Wariaghli G, Achemlal L, Benbaghdadi I, Aouragh A, Bezza A, El Maghraoui A: Primary biliary cirrhosis and osteoporosis: a case–control study. J Bone Miner Metab 2008, 26:379–384. CrossRef
- Pares A, Guanabens N: Osteoporosis in primary biliary cirrhosis: pathogenesis and treatment. Clin Liver Dis 2008, 12:407–424. x CrossRef
- Guichelaar MM, Kendall R, Malinchoc M, Hay JE: Bone mineral density before and after OLT: Long-term follow-up and predictive factors. Liver Transpl 2006, 12:1390–1402. CrossRef
- Ninkovic M, Skingle SJ, Bearcroft PW, Bishop N, Alexander GJ, Compston JE: Incidence of vertebral fractures in the first three months after orthotopic liver transplantation. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2000, 12:931–935. CrossRef
- Abdelhadi M, Eriksson SA, Ljusk Eriksson S, Ericzon BG, Nordenstrom J: Bone mineral status in end-stage liver disease and the effect of liver transplantation. Scand J Gastroenterol 1995, 30:1210–1215. CrossRef
- Meys E, Fontanges E, Fourcade N, Thomasson A, Pouyet M, Delmas PD: Bone loss after orthotopic liver transplantation. Am J Med 1994, 97:445–450. CrossRef
- Shah SH, Johnston TD, Jeon H, Ranjan D: Effect of chronic glucocorticoid therapy and the gender difference on bone mineral density in liver transplant patients. J Surg Res 2006, 135:238–241. CrossRef
- Guichelaar MM, Schmoll J, Malinchoc M, Hay JE: Fractures and avascular necrosis before and after orthotopic liver transplantation: long-term follow-up and predictive factors. Hepatology 2007, 46:1198–1207. CrossRef
- Millonig G, Graziadei IW, Eichler D, Pfeiffer KP, Finkenstedt G, Muehllechner P, Koenigsrainer A, Margreiter R, Vogel W: Alendronate in combination with calcium and vitamin D prevents bone loss after orthotopic liver transplantation: a prospective single-center study. Liver Transpl 2005, 11:960–966. CrossRef
- Eastell R, Dickson ER, Hodgson SF, Wiesner RH, Porayko MK, Wahner HW, Cedel SL, Riggs BL, Krom RA: Rates of vertebral bone loss before and after liver transplantation in women with primary biliary cirrhosis. Hepatology 1991, 14:296–300. CrossRef
- Leidig-Bruckner G, Hosch S, Dodidou P, Ritschel D, Conradt C, Klose C, Otto G, Lange R, Theilmann L, Zimmerman R, Pritsch M, Ziegler R: Frequency and predictors of osteoporotic fractures after cardiac or liver transplantation: a follow-up study. Lancet 2001, 357:342–347. CrossRef
- Carey EJ, Balan V, Kremers WK, Hay JE: Osteopenia and osteoporosis in patients with end-stage liver disease caused by hepatitis C and alcoholic liver disease: not just a cholestatic problem. Liver Transpl 2003, 9:1166–1173. CrossRef
- Zein CO, Jorgensen RA, Clarke B, Wenger DE, Keach JC, Angulo P, Lindor KD: Alendronate improves bone mineral density in primary biliary cirrhosis: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Hepatology 2005, 42:762–771. CrossRef
- Guanabens N, Pares A, Ros I, Alvarez L, Pons F, Caballeria L, Monegal A, Martinez de Osaba MJ, Roca M, Peris P, Rodes J: Alendronate is more effective than etidronate for increasing bone mass in osteopenic patients with primary biliary cirrhosis. Am J Gastroenterol 2003, 98:2268–2274.
- Monegal A, Navasa M, Guanabens N, Peris P, Pons F, Martinez de Osaba MJ, Ordi J, Rimola A, Rodes J, Munoz-Gomez J: Bone disease after liver transplantation: a long-term prospective study of bone mass changes, hormonal status and histomorphometric characteristics. Osteoporos Int 2001, 12:484–492. CrossRef
- Reeves HL, Francis RM, Manas DM, Hudson M, Day CP: Intravenous bisphosphonate prevents symptomatic osteoporotic vertebral collapse in patients after liver transplantation. Liver Transpl Surg 1998, 4:404–409. CrossRef
- Ringe JD, Dorst A, Faber H, Ibach K, Sorenson F: Intermittent intravenous ibandronate injections reduce vertebral fracture risk in corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis: results from a long-term comparative study. Osteoporos Int 2003, 14:801–807. CrossRef
- Bodingbauer M, Wekerle T, Pakrah B, Roschger P, Peck-Radosavljevic M, Silberhumer G, Grampp S, Rockenschaub S, Berlakovich G, Steininger R, Klaushofer K, Oberbauer R, Mühlbacher F: Prophylactic bisphosphonate treatment prevents bone fractures after liver transplantation. Am J Transplant 2007, 7:1763–1769. CrossRef
- Compston JE: Osteoporosis after liver transplantation. Liver Transpl 2003, 9:321–330. CrossRef
- Kasturi KS, Chennareddygari S, Mummadi RR: Effect of bisphosphonates on bone mineral density in liver transplant patients: a meta-analysis and systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Transpl Int 2010, 23:200–207. CrossRef
- Wagner D, Amrein K, Dimai HP, Kniepeiss D, Tscheliessnigg KH, Kornprat P, Dobnig H, Pieber T, Fahrleitner-Pammer A: Ibandronate and calcitriol reduces fracture risk, reverses bone loss, and normalizes bone turnover after lTX. Transplantation 93:331–336.
- Kaemmerer D, Lehmann G, Wolf G, Settmacher U, Hommann M: Treatment of osteoporosis after liver transplantation with ibandronate. Transpl Int 2010, 23:753–759. CrossRef
- Leslie WD, Bernstein CN, Leboff MS: AGA technical review on osteoporosis in hepatic disorders. Gastroenterology 2003, 125:941–966. CrossRef
- Treatment of bone loss in patients with chronic liver disease awaiting liver transplantation
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Bone mineral density
- Liver transplantation
- Chronic liver disease
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General and Visceral Surgery, Zentralklinik Bad Berka GmbH, Robert-Koch-Allee 9, Bad Berka, 99437, Germany
- 3. Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Jena, Jena, 07747, Germany
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital Jena, Jena, Germany