Treatment of bone loss in patients with chronic liver disease awaiting liver transplantation
Most of the patients awaiting liver transplantation already have osteopenia or even osteoporosis by end-stage liver disease.
In a retrospective study, we investigated the effect of pre-treatment with oral monthly ibandronate (150 mg), vitamin D3 (800 IU/day) and calcium (1 g/day) for osteopenia and osteoporosis caused by end-stage liver disease in patients before and after liver transplantation (LT).
The bone mineral density (BMD) of the lumbar spine (LS) and the femoral neck was measured prospectively pre- and post-LT in 31 patients with existing pre-transplant osteopenia. Patients had osteopenia of the LS prior to LT (T-score −1.8 ± 1.5) so that the treatment medication was initiated immediately after the diagnosis.
The study group showed a permanently increased BMD with significant differences (g/cm²) from baseline up to 12 months post LT at the lumbar spine (LS: pre-LT 0.80 ± 0.11 g/cm², three months: 0.90 ± 0.08 (P <0.005); six months: 0.95 ± 0.11 (P < 0.008); 12 months: 1.00 ± 0.09 -0.85 (P <0.012).
The combined pre- and post-operative treatment with oral ibandronate had significantly improved bone mineral density of the lumbar spine at 3, 6 and 12 months post LT. The immediate post-operative bone loss after LT can be significantly avoided by pre-treatment of liver transplant candidates affected by osteopenia.
- Treatment of bone loss in patients with chronic liver disease awaiting liver transplantation
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Bone mineral density
- Liver transplantation
- Chronic liver disease
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General and Visceral Surgery, Zentralklinik Bad Berka GmbH, Robert-Koch-Allee 9, Bad Berka, 99437, Germany
- 3. Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Jena, Jena, 07747, Germany
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital Jena, Jena, Germany