Treatment of bone loss in patients with chronic liver disease awaiting liver transplantation
Most of the patients awaiting liver transplantation already have osteopenia or even osteoporosis by end-stage liver disease.
In a retrospective study, we investigated the effect of pre-treatment with oral monthly ibandronate (150 mg), vitamin D3 (800 IU/day) and calcium (1 g/day) for osteopenia and osteoporosis caused by end-stage liver disease in patients before and after liver transplantation (LT).
The bone mineral density (BMD) of the lumbar spine (LS) and the femoral neck was measured prospectively pre- and post-LT in 31 patients with existing pre-transplant osteopenia. Patients had osteopenia of the LS prior to LT (T-score −1.8 ± 1.5) so that the treatment medication was initiated immediately after the diagnosis.
The study group showed a permanently increased BMD with significant differences (g/cm²) from baseline up to 12 months post LT at the lumbar spine (LS: pre-LT 0.80 ± 0.11 g/cm², three months: 0.90 ± 0.08 (P <0.005); six months: 0.95 ± 0.11 (P < 0.008); 12 months: 1.00 ± 0.09 -0.85 (P <0.012).
The combined pre- and post-operative treatment with oral ibandronate had significantly improved bone mineral density of the lumbar spine at 3, 6 and 12 months post LT. The immediate post-operative bone loss after LT can be significantly avoided by pre-treatment of liver transplant candidates affected by osteopenia.
- Crosbie, OM, Freaney, R, McKenna, MJ, Curry, MP, Hegarty, JE (1999) Predicting bone loss following orthotopic liver transplantation. Gut 44: pp. 430-434 CrossRef
- Collier, J (2007) Bone disorders in chronic liver disease. Hepatology 46: pp. 1271-1278 CrossRef
- Sokhi, RP, Anantharaju, A, Kondaveeti, R, Creech, SD, Islam, KK, Van Thiel, DH (2004) Bone mineral density among cirrhotic patients awaiting liver transplantation. Liver Transpl 10: pp. 648-653 CrossRef
- Ninkovic, M, Love, SA, Tom, B, Alexander, GJ, Compston, JE (2001) High prevalence of osteoporosis in patients with chronic liver disease prior to liver transplantation. Calcified Tissue Int 69: pp. 321-326 CrossRef
- Pares, A, Guanabens, N (2006) Treatment of bone disorders in liver disease. J Hepatol 45: pp. 445-453 CrossRef
- Solaymani-Dodaran, M, Card, TR, Aithal, GP, West, J (2006) Fracture risk in people with primary biliary cirrhosis: a population-based cohort study. Gastroenterology 131: pp. 1752-1757 CrossRef
- Mounach, A, Ouzzif, Z, Wariaghli, G, Achemlal, L, Benbaghdadi, I, Aouragh, A, Bezza, A, El Maghraoui, A (2008) Primary biliary cirrhosis and osteoporosis: a case–control study. J Bone Miner Metab 26: pp. 379-384 CrossRef
- Pares, A, Guanabens, N (2008) Osteoporosis in primary biliary cirrhosis: pathogenesis and treatment. Clin Liver Dis 12: pp. 407-424 CrossRef
- Guichelaar, MM, Kendall, R, Malinchoc, M, Hay, JE (2006) Bone mineral density before and after OLT: Long-term follow-up and predictive factors. Liver Transpl 12: pp. 1390-1402 CrossRef
- Ninkovic, M, Skingle, SJ, Bearcroft, PW, Bishop, N, Alexander, GJ, Compston, JE (2000) Incidence of vertebral fractures in the first three months after orthotopic liver transplantation. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 12: pp. 931-935 CrossRef
- Abdelhadi, M, Eriksson, SA, Ljusk Eriksson, S, Ericzon, BG, Nordenstrom, J (1995) Bone mineral status in end-stage liver disease and the effect of liver transplantation. Scand J Gastroenterol 30: pp. 1210-1215 CrossRef
- Meys, E, Fontanges, E, Fourcade, N, Thomasson, A, Pouyet, M, Delmas, PD (1994) Bone loss after orthotopic liver transplantation. Am J Med 97: pp. 445-450 CrossRef
- Shah, SH, Johnston, TD, Jeon, H, Ranjan, D (2006) Effect of chronic glucocorticoid therapy and the gender difference on bone mineral density in liver transplant patients. J Surg Res 135: pp. 238-241 CrossRef
- Guichelaar, MM, Schmoll, J, Malinchoc, M, Hay, JE (2007) Fractures and avascular necrosis before and after orthotopic liver transplantation: long-term follow-up and predictive factors. Hepatology 46: pp. 1198-1207 CrossRef
- Millonig, G, Graziadei, IW, Eichler, D, Pfeiffer, KP, Finkenstedt, G, Muehllechner, P, Koenigsrainer, A, Margreiter, R, Vogel, W (2005) Alendronate in combination with calcium and vitamin D prevents bone loss after orthotopic liver transplantation: a prospective single-center study. Liver Transpl 11: pp. 960-966 CrossRef
- Eastell, R, Dickson, ER, Hodgson, SF, Wiesner, RH, Porayko, MK, Wahner, HW, Cedel, SL, Riggs, BL, Krom, RA (1991) Rates of vertebral bone loss before and after liver transplantation in women with primary biliary cirrhosis. Hepatology 14: pp. 296-300 CrossRef
- Leidig-Bruckner, G, Hosch, S, Dodidou, P, Ritschel, D, Conradt, C, Klose, C, Otto, G, Lange, R, Theilmann, L, Zimmerman, R, Pritsch, M, Ziegler, R (2001) Frequency and predictors of osteoporotic fractures after cardiac or liver transplantation: a follow-up study. Lancet 357: pp. 342-347 CrossRef
- Carey, EJ, Balan, V, Kremers, WK, Hay, JE (2003) Osteopenia and osteoporosis in patients with end-stage liver disease caused by hepatitis C and alcoholic liver disease: not just a cholestatic problem. Liver Transpl 9: pp. 1166-1173 CrossRef
- Zein, CO, Jorgensen, RA, Clarke, B, Wenger, DE, Keach, JC, Angulo, P, Lindor, KD (2005) Alendronate improves bone mineral density in primary biliary cirrhosis: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Hepatology 42: pp. 762-771 CrossRef
- Guanabens, N, Pares, A, Ros, I, Alvarez, L, Pons, F, Caballeria, L, Monegal, A, Martinez de Osaba, MJ, Roca, M, Peris, P, Rodes, J (2003) Alendronate is more effective than etidronate for increasing bone mass in osteopenic patients with primary biliary cirrhosis. Am J Gastroenterol 98: pp. 2268-2274
- Monegal, A, Navasa, M, Guanabens, N, Peris, P, Pons, F, Martinez de Osaba, MJ, Ordi, J, Rimola, A, Rodes, J, Munoz-Gomez, J (2001) Bone disease after liver transplantation: a long-term prospective study of bone mass changes, hormonal status and histomorphometric characteristics. Osteoporos Int 12: pp. 484-492 CrossRef
- Reeves, HL, Francis, RM, Manas, DM, Hudson, M, Day, CP (1998) Intravenous bisphosphonate prevents symptomatic osteoporotic vertebral collapse in patients after liver transplantation. Liver Transpl Surg 4: pp. 404-409 CrossRef
- Ringe, JD, Dorst, A, Faber, H, Ibach, K, Sorenson, F (2003) Intermittent intravenous ibandronate injections reduce vertebral fracture risk in corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis: results from a long-term comparative study. Osteoporos Int 14: pp. 801-807 CrossRef
- Bodingbauer, M, Wekerle, T, Pakrah, B, Roschger, P, Peck-Radosavljevic, M, Silberhumer, G, Grampp, S, Rockenschaub, S, Berlakovich, G, Steininger, R, Klaushofer, K, Oberbauer, R, Mühlbacher, F (2007) Prophylactic bisphosphonate treatment prevents bone fractures after liver transplantation. Am J Transplant 7: pp. 1763-1769 CrossRef
- Compston, JE (2003) Osteoporosis after liver transplantation. Liver Transpl 9: pp. 321-330 CrossRef
- Kasturi, KS, Chennareddygari, S, Mummadi, RR (2010) Effect of bisphosphonates on bone mineral density in liver transplant patients: a meta-analysis and systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Transpl Int 23: pp. 200-207 CrossRef
- Wagner D, Amrein K, Dimai HP, Kniepeiss D, Tscheliessnigg KH, Kornprat P, Dobnig H, Pieber T, Fahrleitner-Pammer A: Ibandronate and calcitriol reduces fracture risk, reverses bone loss, and normalizes bone turnover after lTX. Transplantation 93:331–336.
- Kaemmerer, D, Lehmann, G, Wolf, G, Settmacher, U, Hommann, M (2010) Treatment of osteoporosis after liver transplantation with ibandronate. Transpl Int 23: pp. 753-759 CrossRef
- Leslie, WD, Bernstein, CN, Leboff, MS (2003) AGA technical review on osteoporosis in hepatic disorders. Gastroenterology 125: pp. 941-966 CrossRef
- Treatment of bone loss in patients with chronic liver disease awaiting liver transplantation
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- June 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Bone mineral density
- Liver transplantation
- Chronic liver disease
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General and Visceral Surgery, Zentralklinik Bad Berka GmbH, Robert-Koch-Allee 9, Bad Berka, 99437, Germany
- 3. Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Jena, Jena, 07747, Germany
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital Jena, Jena, Germany