- Mark A Jobling
- … show all 1 hide
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's immortal creation was, of course, the violin-playing, cocaine-addicted genius Sherlock Holmes; but the great detective had an extensive supporting cast: the dependable but oft-baffled Dr Watson, the long-suffering Mrs Hudson, and a host of lesser characters, some more contemptible than others.
In the very lower echelons was one adversary, described by Watson  as ‘…a little black man … with a great, misshapen head and a shock of tangled, dishevelled hair. His … thick lips were writhed back from his teeth, which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury.’ This frightening figure hails from the Andaman Islands, and represents a people ‘naturally hideous, … fierce, morose, and intractable’, who ‘may perhaps claim the distinction of being the smallest race upon this earth. … They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews, braining the survivors with their stone-headed clubs, or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. These massacres are invariably ...
- Conan Doyle A: The Sign of Four. London: Penguin Books; 1890. printed 2001
- Weber G: The Andamanese. 2006. http://www.andaman.org/BOOK/chapter8/text8.htm
- Thangaraj K, Singh L, Reddy AG, Rao VR, Sehgal SC, Underhill PA, Pierson M, Frame IG, Hagelberg E: Genetic affinities of the Andaman Islanders, a vanishing human population. Curr Biol 2003, 13:86–93. CrossRef
- Endicott P, Gilbert MT, Stringer C, Lalueza-Fox C, Willerslev E, Hansen AJ, Cooper A: The genetic origins of the Andaman Islanders. Am J Hum Genet 2003, 72:178–184. CrossRef
- Thangaraj K, Chaubey G, Kivisild T, Reddy AG, Singh VK, Rasalkar AA, Singh L: Reconstructing the origin of Andaman Islanders. Science 2005, 308:996. CrossRef
- Reich D, Thangaraj K, Patterson N, Price AL, Singh L: Reconstructing Indian population history. Nature 2009, 461:489–494. CrossRef
- Pandya V: In the Forest: Visual and Material Worlds of Andamanese History (1858–2006). Lanham, MD: University Press of America; 2009.
- Chamberlin G: Human safaris may be banned, but still tourists flock to Andaman Islands. 2012.
- Chamberlin G: Andaman Islands tribe threatened by lure of mass tourism. 2012.
- Survival I: The Jarawa. 2012. http://www.survivalinternational.org/tribes/jarawa-main
- Significant others
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- October 2012
- Online ISSN
- BioMed Central
- Additional Links
- Mark A Jobling (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Genetics, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK